Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been priveleged enough to buy quite possibly one of the nicest TSX's that i would ever be able to find. Basic mods that were previously done are bolt ons, reflash, Buddy Club N+'s, 18 inch Work Xt7's on NT555's with a 235/40(F) and 225/40(R) stagger combo, Progress Rear Sway(Set on stiff), and basic alignment settings of -1.3F camber and -1R camber.

Ok, so i shouldn't really be tracking my new daily driver when my other car is a 1750 pound rowdy track prepped CRX but this car is so insanely awesome that i just had to. Now my gripes are that the suspension sucks balls on the track. 11kF and 4kR spring rates...seriously? The tires are definitely not good for track use, but i gave it a shot anyhow. I tried dialing in tire pressure and shock settings the best i can but no matter what the car uncontrollably pushed with gross understeer. Im going back to the track on Monday for a full track day and have some changes planned to check for improvements.

#1. 17X9 Volk Ce28's wrapped in 235/45 A046's
#2. Camber kit up front with about 2.5 degrees negative
#3. Changing the springs to Hypercoil 13kF and 8kR.

Now my question for you other TSX owners who track your cars.....what is your setup and how is it working out for you? What tires are you guys fitting under your fenders safely and what suspensions(and rates) are you running? Do you guys have any lap times at your local tracks...and what are those times relevant to?

Thanks in advance, any input or info is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Took the TSX out to the track for two days back in May and had a lot of fun. That event encouraged me to make some changes.. just switched wheels, tires, and the suspension prior to going back at the end of September.

1. 17x9/48 6ULRs with 255/40R17 Hankook V12s (no clearance issues or rubbing)
2. Camber: -1.5F, -1.8R for DD.. will adjust to -3F for track
3. Tein MFP 16kF, 10kR, Progress RSB on stiff

My next upgrade will very likely be a LSD.. I'm losing time coming out of the turns. I felt a little out of place showing up to the track in a TSX, but a few of the drivers were surprised by what I was able to squeeze out of the TSX with just a few bolt ons (I/H/HFC) and Flashpro. I know need to develop better driving skills... but it's a fun learning process!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took the TSX out to the track for two days back in May and had a lot of fun. That event encouraged me to make some changes.. just switched wheels, tires, and the suspension prior to going back at the end of September.

1. 17x9/48 6ULRs with 255/40R17 Hankook V12s (no clearance issues or rubbing)
2. Camber: -1.5F, -1.8R for DD.. will adjust to -3F for track
3. Tein MFP 16kF, 10kR, Progress RSB on stiff

My next upgrade will very likely be a LSD.. I'm losing time coming out of the turns. I felt a little out of place showing up to the track in a TSX, but a few of the drivers were surprised by what I was able to squeeze out of the TSX with just a few bolt ons (I/H/HFC) and Flashpro. I know need to develop better driving skills... but it's a fun learning process!

Great choice on tire size, im glad to hear that you can fit that with no clearance issues. I plan on stepping up to big boy tires when the time is right. I definitely agree on the need for LSD, i drove with the traction control on and off and all kinds of blinking lights and dead throttle response came into play. I've made a few changes on my setup as far as spring rates, tires and wheel size, along with a fresh alignment(minus camber adjustment up front) and im due to be on the track all day monday.

Im definitely looking into the Tein's next...not really feeling these Buddy Clubs for track use.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i tracked mine last week.

VSA off. with it on it just kills the throttle.

was surprised how well it performed on track.

handling was great and ive only got springs, my handling needs improving a lot. had a bit of under steer but alot of that was to do with my corner entry speeds.

i wouldnt say the understeer was too bad.

ive only got 7" wide CHEAP tyres.

the only performance handling modification mod i have is a set of apex springs. that's all and i have no idea what the spring rates are.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I can't wait to track mine!! You guys make me jealous.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Im feeling confident to say that the Buddy Club N1 is not a good track coilover for an aggressive driver. Even with the rates swapped out...it feels under dampened when being pushed to its limit. Its a great street coilover and a good entry level setup(with the upgraded rates) but it just doesn't seem to be able to hold the weight. I plan on moving up to MonoFlex's sometime in the near future.

Hawk HP+'s up front on generic blank rotors seem to do well. I was able to go multiple 20 minute sessions with zero fade and full late braking confidence.

The TSX had no problem passing up Spec Miata's and other Miata's that were track spec'd. It was fun bullying around some brap'd out little gutted FF civic's while kicking it in the lap of luxury. Beyond the need for a better coilover i feel like i need at least 20-30 more whp and an LSD to be able to enjoy the car more. Compared to my dedicated track car its kind of a bore.

My next track outing is mid October and i hope to at least have my camber arms in up front(with a few degrees negative dialed in) and my LSD installed. I've got some decent gopro footage that i'll have to chop and edit but it should make for some an entertaining youtube vid.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Im feeling confident to say that the Buddy Club N1 is not a good track coilover for an aggressive driver. Even with the rates swapped out...it feels under dampened when being pushed to its limit. Its a great street coilover and a good entry level setup(with the upgraded rates) but it just doesn't seem to be able to hold the weight. I plan on moving up to MonoFlex's sometime in the near future.
I think you'd enjoy the Monoflex, it definitely has plenty of damping. I just finished my first 500 mile road trip this weekend since installing the suspension and with the damping set to 12F/12R (1 = hardest, 16 = softest), it was surprisingly comfortable on the highway. Beyond a damping setting of 7F/7R, it starts getting very harsh. For me, adding the EDFC was worth it, but routing the wiring through the firewall was a bit of a pain. I managed the install myself it without introducing any rattles or breaking any body clips. :)

I just started reading High-Performance Handling for Street or Track by Don Alexander, and I will be curious to see how I feel about the high spring rates the Monoflex comes with after digesting this book.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
For me I feel the TSX is a bit like a fwd miata(here me out here). What I mean is that it handles the track setup well but is underpowered. Unlike the miatas though, it's heavy and porky so it doesn't even shine in the autox either. As you guys have heard, the TSX is a jack of all trades, master of none. That said, it still puts a smile on my face even if I'm not throwing down the fastest times. If you got a deal with an alignment shop where it doesn't cost you anything, I'd try dialing a bit of toe in to help with steering.

And yes, this car needs a bit more power and an LSD.

(wish this car came with an RDX turbo 4 and LSD lol)

·
Turd Ferguson
164 Posts
Saw the car yesterday, looks great! Reminds me a lot of my old one. :)

You'll be much happier with the LSD installed. For me, it changed my perspective from slightly regretting my TSX purchase to really enjoy driving it all the time.

I can't comment much on tracking it since I only took it around Autobahn in nearly stock form. Stock suspension was very stable and planted though. Not once did the car feel like it was under or oversteering if driven smoothly. The LSD kept the car on line, etc. However, it really needed something stiffer to maintain speed a bit more in some of the sweepers, and the stock brake pads/fluid were shot after a couple of laps. I literally started to fear if I was going to stop at the end of each straight, which had me entering a few turns faster than I had liked.

I had VSA off, but it would rarely turn on with the LSD installed anyway. Pre-LSD, that thing would like up all the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Its my third year roadracing my tsx on track!
Setup is simple but effective!

Suspension:
Neuspeed Supercup Kit (koni/race springs)
Progress 24mm RSB (Really 24)
Tl-S 28mm FSB
225/40r17 Continental Slicks
Camber and alignements OEM specs

Engine:
Fujita cai
Manifold Portmatched and polished
weapon-r header
greddy evo2 catback
hondata reflash

here some track footages:
http://youtu.be/W75HiY6Srjs
http://youtu.be/o7cQ0OjfPlw

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saw the car yesterday, looks great! Reminds me a lot of my old one. :)

You'll be much happier with the LSD installed. For me, it changed my perspective from slightly regretting my TSX purchase to really enjoy driving it all the time.

I can't comment much on tracking it since I only took it around Autobahn in nearly stock form. Stock suspension was very stable and planted though. Not once did the car feel like it was under or oversteering if driven smoothly. The LSD kept the car on line, etc. However, it really needed something stiffer to maintain speed a bit more in some of the sweepers, and the stock brake pads/fluid were shot after a couple of laps. I literally started to fear if I was going to stop at the end of each straight, which had me entering a few turns faster than I had liked.

I had VSA off, but it would rarely turn on with the LSD installed anyway. Pre-LSD, that thing would like up all the time.
You got me all stoked for the LSD. Im doing the z3 1-5 and z3 LSD. It sucks that i had to order up a new outer case since we found a hairline crack where the bearing let go. I had no idea that TSX transmission cases were magnesium, mega rowdy.

Suspension:
Tl-S 28mm FSB

Engine:
Fujita cai
weapon-r header
greddy evo2 catback
hondata reflash

Pascal Simard Tsx @Shannonville - YouTube
Lapping Sanair Pascal Simard 2011 - YouTube

BADASS, super racing TSX boner for sure. What were the effects of the TL front bar? Also what are your spring rates on the suspension and how is it holding up to the conti slicks? Are you feeling heavy push from the lack of camber up front?

Props on your setup and track experience with the car. Its very cool to see.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Suspension:
Tl-S 28mm FSB

Engine:
Fujita cai
weapon-r header
greddy evo2 catback
hondata reflash

Hey that video at the Shannonville track... I think i was there that day too! Was it in early july of this year with some people from Montreal and Quebec? If so i was there in a black 1.6EL with rpf1 wheels...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I track mine at Mosport GP circuit mostly as the car shows it's best qualities there, but also been to the DDT, Shannonville and Cayuga.
Cayuga TMP being my least favourite and harshest on the car.
I also used to Autocross the car before I started tracking it.

Here are the mods I have:
A-spec body kit & spoiler.
CT short shift adapter
Hondata reflash
K&N dropin filter
18" ASA AR9 wheels
Dunlop direzza Z1 star spec 235/40R18
TEIN CST (about an inch drop), full soft on street, full stiff on track.
Front and rear fenders rolled.
Progress RSB on stiff
RacingBrake front and rear slotted discs
RacingBrake SS lines
RacingBrake ET500 street pads all around
Track pads: Hawk DTC60 front and HT-10 back
Motul 660 fluid
Speedbleeders (removed)
Calipers painted black.
No camber kit on rear, so natural negative camber and toe-in in back from minor lowering.

The CSTs are 7 and 4 (driven daily on some bad GTA roads) so these are a lot softer in the front than the above mentioned Buddy Clubs and I get a fair bit of lean as a result; however, I must say that the car handles very well and is very neutral. In fact it is more susceptible to lift-off oversteer than to understeer. But when driven properly it is very balanced, forgiving and willing to turn in :)

I run in the advanced group, so comparing to other car brands is a bit of a mystery to me as the driver's skill is the biggest factor during these HPDE or track days aside from raw HP on straights.

I'm curious about the folks who upgraded the front sway bar to either of the available choices (TL-S or the H&R I believe are the only options) and what that did for handling. I'm debating trying it out as I think it most likely will re-introduce the under steer, which I happily forgot. But has anyone countered that with a bit of negative camber from Skunk2 upper control arms and was the overall change better?
I can 3 wheel the current setup (lifting the inner rear) at the Auto-X and the car goes around the cones a lot faster than most others. The lift is due to progress RSB overpowering the soft rear TEINs, but there is plenty of grip at the front from natural camber at extreme cornering.

Not sure what the LSD would do at long sweeping track for this car? Maybe at a tight track like Cayuga to pull me through turn 11 decreasing radius, but other than that? I think we don't have that much WHP to really benefit from it. Perhaps the folks that dropped in the CT supercharger or went all out with Skunk2 head/intake work and are pushing 250HP+.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Note how you caught right up to the white VW Golf, but then he disappeared on your after the hairpin right onto the front straightaway at Shannonville? You were still going around the turn and he was gaining speed down the straight?

I did exact that to an M5 as what that Golf did to you =) The owner of the M5 was perplexed and came up to chat afterwards. We since became friends. :) :laugh:
The trick in the TSX for that turn is to go deep, stay on left, sharp right turn and then power out. Essentially taking the outside line instead of the inside line you took. With our FWD low HP car, we need maximum momentum. The inside line of that turn is asking the front wheels to steer hard and pull hard - way too much, resulting in understeer. The outside line will get you on the power in a straighter line much earlier, plus it will transfer more weight to the back, forcing the TSX rear suspension to dig right into the remainder of that turn and allow you to power out fast gaining a lot more speed earlier.

I found that my TSX just LOVES having weight transferred to the back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
sorry guys i don't come often in here! i've been Surprised to see so much people asking questions about the setup!

Im mostly Lapping With The DSC, If you know the DSC you should know my tsx ;) Im from trois-rivieres in Quebec.

The GTi is a stage 2, we are mostly running same speed in corners but he is havin so much power that everytime he get to a stretch he is getting away!

For those who ask about the Front sway bar, i would say that i upgraded the rear to a 24mm progress for the TL-S first then i had so much oversteer and wheelspin in tight corners that i installed the 28mm OEM TL-S one (Real PITA to install) The front sway bar helped keep the front more planted and get better grip in exiting corners. However you should keep in mind that i have an AUtopower Race 4-points rollbar, that helps a lot (seems strange but the car is more tail happy since it helps stiffening the rear! I often lift the rear tire on the inside when turning fast enough!
The car seems to understeer when entering too fast in a corner, and if you turn the steering wheel fastly in the entry of the corner the tail will spin out. i just enter the turn smoothly, and once the weight has moved you can give it all you want to exit! enter smooth, then once the turn is set, you can rocket away the exit.

now im getting ready for winter, and beginned collecting parts to give it a bit more power! (bp stg 3 cams, go power springs and retainers, kpro dual, rbc manifold) now in the market for whats missing ; Clutch/flywheel combo and 12.5;1 pistons maybe a LSD if theres money left!

·
Turd Ferguson
164 Posts
For me, the LSD was very noticeable, even on a stock engine (or stock plus comptech icebox as well). You can feel the change in the wheel as well as great feedback in corners. Instead of feathering the throttle on/off with similar but inverse inputs on the steering wheel, you could point the wheel and gas more directly.

For some reason, it's one of those items that people forget about and instead opt for power, suspension, and braking. Those are all great, but the driver ability and confidence is much more.

Case in point, I learned on my old 95 GSR. When I changed it to an ITR LSD, smaller steering wheel pushed towards me a couple of inches, and a lower seating position, my speed on track increased greatly.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would suggest moving the battery to the trunk to get some weight off the nose, and installing the roll center adjusting kit from J's racing, available for like $250 from heeltoeauto.

This will reduce weight transfer noticably in the front, allowing you to get back on the throttle sooner on turn exit.

You will need to make a ride height adjustment after the roll center adjusting kit is installed.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Go pro footage coming soon!!!
Looking sharp! All grown up sliding around on leather seats!

Real question is: What is the timeline for TSX mega header test???

Jokes aside, nice to see you giving another Honda run for it's money, I can only imagine where this "daily driver" is going to end up...

Nino

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking sharp! All grown up sliding around on leather seats!

Real question is: What is the timeline for TSX mega header test???

Jokes aside, nice to see you giving another Honda run for it's money, I can only imagine where this "daily driver" is going to end up...

Nino
LOL whats up Nino! Well funny thing is that im awaiting a few bucks(ironically from my Bseries parts bin) so i can buy the flashpro and start tuning this thing. My first batch of testing for this car is going to be the Comptech header and Random tech cat vs. the PLM hytech rep header and test pipe. After that we'll see if anything will do better than the Comptech icebox. Shortly after we'll see what the RBC will do on an i/h/e combo.

Im pretty stoked for this car.

Stay Tuned!

1 - 20 of 154 Posts