Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Auto-x guru
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a flame or hater thread. I am just wondering how many people out there are tired of the big wheel/tire thing? When I got into the sport 17's and 18's were huge! Now if you aren't sporting 19's or 20's, you're just an average guy. I personally like the performance advantage of running small, fat, light, and (very important) cheap wheels. Hell I got my 16" Axis VPD's that weigh 14 lbs for $1200 shipped. The problem of course is that todays cars are designed with larger factory wheels so the wheel wells are a bit larger, and running smaller wheels looks ghetto.

Post your thoughts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I kinda agree, but I think the size of the rim/tire should be dictated by the application.

If you are after the show car look, 19s look pretty nice on a TSX, but may not be too practical for daily use. IMO, 20s are simply too big on a TSX - show car or not.

If you are into autocross or track days, a set of lightweight 17" rims with 235-45-17s may fit the bill. 16s may be too small to fit upgraded larger brakes.

I think for a daily driven street car, 18s present the best compromise btw appearance, handling, durability and comfort.

·
Im Rick James B1tch!!!
345 Posts
It doesnt bother me all that much, i think some applications look good others dont..it just depends what you are going for...i have 18's but i would like 19's if i can find some. Because i would like the look. So to each his own.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
I have 18's, I think they are perfect. So are 19's...

I guess its just a matter of filling in the wheel gap, which gives it the look we wheel modders want. Cant do that with 16's

·
Auto-x guru
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good points. I do agree that the larger wheels (not too large though) do give a much better image. And yes, the application does make a big difference. One good example is the FX-34/45 that can be equipped with the factory 20's and it does not look out of place. Instead it looks proper for that particular vehicle. The new 300/300C is another example of where 20's look appropriate. Never did like anything larger than 18's on the typical mid 90's import as they were built and designed with 14's and 15's, and going plus 3 is really a stretch for these cars. Now we see Honda, Toyota and the sort doing the 18" factory applications, so yes, I think that our car does look good with 19's, and with the right wheels, 20's as well.

I have to break away from my opening statement in the thread starter here, but I hope nobody in this forum falls into this category. SUV's with 24's look downright stupid IMO. Don't really understand that whole market segment though. :confused: I just hope I don't incite a riot in here with a comment like that.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
AlterZgo said:
16s may be too small to fit upgraded larger brakes
Nothing too small or not possible in this department. I take modifications based on function over form. Handling needs to be critically matched with acceleration, turning response, braking and contact. Big doesn't mean better, neither does small mean quicker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really like the big alloy look and would like some 18"s on mine but the tyres will end up costing me a fortune so I can't be bothered. IMO the current M3 looks the business with those massive spoked alloys but the trouble with massive alloys is that whilst looks are improved (depending on your taste) performance ultimately suffers - even if it is only a little.

I always thought the philosophy with alloys was that they were supposed to be lighter (than standard steels) and designed for the car in order to improve handling, inertial effects, acceleration etc. Looks were just an added bonus so I can't see the logic in sticking 20" rims on a car that will go against the point of using alloys in the first place :confused:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Alloys and steelies have come a long way. Alloy is simply a combination of whatever metal materials. Looks is the primary purpose instead of function if you ask me. There are many different type of alloys and how they're constructed. But in short, if you're going to be sticking larger than 18s rims on the CL9 that are generic cast alloys. You will lose out on acceleration, handling, braking distances and steering.

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
if all you are into is show, rice, bling, whatever.. then yeah go for the bloody 20's if you can afford it, but just don't drive or race beside me, because nothing beats a set of light weight 16 17" wheels for competion, but unfortunatley i've seen alot of 16" wheel rub on the tsx OEM brake caliper, so i'd have to say the TSX is 17" minimum.

when you go +2 or more, track test and raod test show performance is drastically hindered and saftery too

·
Registered
104 Posts
i guess im not wanted here ,I plan on turboing my car and I roll around on 20's but i only drive my car once a week or so i drive my other cars so i dont have to worry about my car when im doing something .My car is pretty much a show set up but i still wont turn down a race when im driving my car , david

·
your mom goes to college
120 Posts
any recommendations of nice,lightweight, good-looking 17's for the TSX?

regardless of price? o, and what tires are recommended?

maybe 16's??

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
tsx on dubs said:
i guess im not wanted here ,I plan on turboing my car and I roll around on 20's but i only drive my car once a week or so i drive my other cars so i dont have to worry about my car when im doing something .My car is pretty much a show set up but i still wont turn down a race when im driving my car , david
no! of course your welcome! everyone is entitled to their own fetishes.
Your ride looks so sweet!! :drool1:
plus you have Big Brake kit, so you'd have no choice but to get biger rims..
question your bbk are they front only or all around upgrade?

·
Non-Registered User
1,441 Posts
wow!! you were able to fit 17' with those calipers on!! hows the clearence

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cyde said:
no! of course your welcome! everyone is entitled to their own fetishes.
Your ride looks so sweet!! :drool1:
plus you have Big Brake kit, so you'd have no choice but to get biger rims..
question your bbk are they front only or all around upgrade?

they dont make the rear kit as of yet from what ive been told but as soon as they make them i will try and get them asap since i like the front ones so much , david

·
Registered
47 Posts
houstontsx said:
any recommendations of nice,lightweight, good-looking 17's for the TSX?

regardless of price? o, and what tires are recommended?

maybe 16's??
Can you get the 17" Penta alloys in the States ?? Got them on mine and reckon they look great.

Alternatively I love most of the Mugen range and esp these which are asteal for $320 a piece

Tyre wise I like the Eagle F1's

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have 20's on my car. I've never heard anyone say they're "too big for the car". I'm sure it's b/c they're black so they don't look as big as 20" chromies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts