Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a Comptech Ice Box for my TSX due to Comptech's quality and R&D. Is anyone currently using it or has anyone used it? If so what were your impressions. In the past I've used both AEM's cold air and short ram on my 00' Si and preferred the SR.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Good question...I've been considering going to the IceBox.

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone out there used it??? Even on a different car, maybe?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Not exactly a popular choice with S2000 owners, in reference to your question of "other" owners.

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what might be a good choice? I want something that looks relatively stock and is not lound as hell(like AEM cold air or short ram)

·
A-spec Arctic Blue
28 Posts
1TSXer said:
I'm thinking of getting a Comptech Ice Box for my TSX due to Comptech's quality and R&D. Is anyone currently using it or has anyone used it? If so what were your impressions. In the past I've used both AEM's cold air and short ram on my 00' Si and preferred the SR.
I have one and I like it. It looks stock but has a nice growl during WOT and when the VTEC kicks in. Since I live in a rainy state, I didn't want to worry about hydrolocking with a CAI. It was also cheaper than a CAI from K&N or Injen.

Here are some pictures and dynos

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
I like the IceBox but the gains really are not there compared to the Injen CAI. Rain is not a problem with a CAI...if you are paranoid/concerned about hydro-lock then don't get a CAI...just understand as long as you don't drive through flooded streets or creeks/rivers hydro-lock is not an issue/concern.

I use to live in WA (425) and you have less rain than we do here in Georgia/Atlanta and when it rains here it pours unlike WA where it just drizzles non-stop. :)

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so would the gains of a Comptech Ice Box be better than those of a K&N drop in filter?

·
A-spec Arctic Blue
28 Posts
1TSXer said:
so would the gains of a Comptech Ice Box be better than those of a K&N drop in filter?
Yes. You remove the airflow restrictions in place by the stock resonator and OEM air box. By allowing the air to come in from the bottom, you allow colder air, plus the Comptech Ice Box has less air restrictions in the box itself. In my prior pictures, you'll notice the fins in the OEM box.

·
That Guy
19 Posts
I have a Comptech Supercharger on my S2000 and the kit came with an icebox style air box. I like it, Its the only one I can really use with the supercharger so I guess I really didn’t have much of a choose, but I still am happy with it.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The supercharger airbox design/setup on the AP1 vs the NA airbox setup for the CL9 is quite different in purpose/style/performance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hihi

How much different are the comptech/mugen air box compared to stock air box ? They all looks similar in terms of volume. And all of them uses a flat panel air filter..Pls correct me if I am wrong..Is mugen one really power ?

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
i wish there were dynoes for the mugen airbox. cuz i think its a load of crap.
personal oppinion on replacing intake, go for a performance tube like injen/k&N. i live in calgary AB and i have a higher chance of hydrolocking than alot of people, yet i leave it in CAI and have zero problems.
you can notice the gains atleast, and love the growl, sounds like a new car.
im sure removing the resognator and putting a little hose down would be just the same.
if you took your stock airbox apart, im sure you could file down some plastic and replace with some tubing to do exactly what the new iceboxs do.
and why would it be called an ice box intake. it sounds like that goofy dry ice intake that i saw posted once. CAn you put ice in it for gains ?? :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
No gains

I have an ice-box installed and it was a total waist, the car does sound meaner but not $170 worth. :donno: I will likly sell this shortly and persue an Injen as the dyno gains look impressive.

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so you felt no gain what so ever? I find that odd. I don't want to go the Injen/AEM route. Been there done that and they are just too damn loud and ricey sounding to me, no offense to anyone that has one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Correct.

1TSXer said:
so you felt no gain what so ever? I find that odd. I don't want to go the Injen/AEM route. Been there done that and they are just too damn loud and ricey sounding to me, no offense to anyone that has one.
Hate to say it but I felt no gain at all, it was a total waist. I have a AEM CAI on my Accord and when I installed that there was a very noticable gain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts