Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into coilovers; aside from Tein, BC and Mugen, I'm also looking into H&R coilovers for the TSX. Anyone have the H&R coilovers on their TSX? How's the ride quality? I know it's height adjustable, but can you adjust the stiffness? I heard that the Tein coilovers (SS and flex) weren't specifically made for the TSX although they fit, but the Mugen, BC, and H&R applications were specifically made for the TSX... is this true? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
I haven't seen any write ups on TSXs with H&Rs. But they don't feature any damper adjustment, so there's no tuning beyond height adjustment. They do use progressive rate springs, but the rates are still high, so they will be stiff.

All of the coilovers you mentioned are probably developed for the Accord platform in general, and will fit a variety of cars, from 4 cyl Accords all the way up to V6 TLs. So, they probably don't go through a lot of testing with the TSX specifically; it would up to you (or your installer) to tune them to work with your car. This would involve selecting the right combination of sway bars as well as setting up each corner with the correct height and rebound settings.

You can create a wondefully balanced, great handling vehicle with the right setup, but don't kid yourself into thinking that you can crank back on the damper adjustment and get a supple ride. Coilovers can drop the car 2+", so you're left with less than an 1"of suspension travel. So, the spring rates need to be off the charts to keep from bottoming out.

There is a difference, though, between the type of ride you get with coilovers and plain old lowering springs. Lowerings springs on stock struts will be bouncy and stiff, and get worse as the struts fail. Coilovers will just be stiff; if they're bouncy, you should be able to dial back on the damper to help reduce that.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hey!! Welcome goowakjai :wavey:

Your screen name is great!! :laugh:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Feels good to be wanted :laugh:

LannyM: thanks for the helpful write-up. It's down to H&R and Tein coilvers (super street and flex). I will have to do some research. Your insight was very helpful. Thanks!

Joker: Hello my fellow so-cal'er. Any recommendations of a good shop for installs that can do a good job with install and setup for optimal ride quality? Autowave? Evosport?

TSX R'Us: I see you're a goowakjai too! haha :cool:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
goowakjai said:
Joker: Hello my fellow so-cal'er. Any recommendations of a good shop for installs that can do a good job with install and setup for optimal ride quality? Autowave?
Nice to see another TSX owner from SoCal :thumbsup:
Check out http://www.autowaveinc.com/
Be sure and ask for Shane (owner), and tell him Greg sent you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
goowakjai said:
TSX R'Us: I see you're a goowakjai too! haha :cool:
:laugh: :nod: :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
goowakjai said:
I'm looking into coilovers; aside from Tein, BC and Mugen, I'm also looking into H&R coilovers for the TSX. Anyone have the H&R coilovers on their TSX? How's the ride quality? I know it's height adjustable, but can you adjust the stiffness? I heard that the Tein coilovers (SS and flex) weren't specifically made for the TSX although they fit, but the Mugen, BC, and H&R applications were specifically made for the TSX... is this true? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
H&R's ride quality isn't exactly harsh or stiff in my books, it's acceptable and most definitely designed for primary road use. Only height adjustment is applicable, no shock damper adjustment.

Tein are the ones not specifically designed for the model however the other makers listed above are specific. If you want a close to OEM handling feel, comfort while only lowering the car a little bit. You might want to look at the A-Spec or Mugen Sports variant instead.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
well .. ~~ im resently looking for coilover too .. ~ pretty happy with the stiffness of my eibach prokit rite now ~ so i think Tein SS or Basic damper should probably do the job ~ and maybe Tanabe's or now the H&R coilover ~
any suggestions ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't most good quality coilover mfgs offer a choice of different spring rates? Additionally, some of the high end coilovers are double adjustable so that you can not only lower your car 2"+, but you still have the capability of retaining the full suspension travel. Of course, the problem then becomes wheel well clearance.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Welcome to the club, goowakjai :wavey:

TSX 'R' US said:
Hey!!
Your screen name is great!! :laugh:
what does his sn mean?:donno:

I don't know canto. aehe10

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Agent_Chen said:
Welcome to the club, goowakjai :wavey:

what does his sn mean?:donno:

I don't know canto. aehe10

Thanks Agent Chen! The closest translation, with losing being lost in translation is "wiseguy." But if there's a closer translation, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks Noel for the feedback. If H&R has a coilover application made specifically for the TSX, then I would probably get their coilovers. The Teins, although they're dampening adjustable, I assume in the softest setting would still be stiffer than the H&R's. Is my assumption correct? What Tein has over H&R is that their office is in my area, so it would easier to get it repaired if anything happens.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
and the allumium Tein emblem come with the coilover .. ~ :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
AlterZgo said:
Don't most good quality coilover mfgs offer a choice of different spring rates? Additionally, some of the high end coilovers are double adjustable so that you can not only lower your car 2"+, but you still have the capability of retaining the full suspension travel.
Yes, all this is limited to budget only and these products are ideally designed for racing applications instead of road applications. IMO, it defeats the purpose to run "street spec" spring rates on race coilovers unless you truly need the full adjustability for road use which I doubt.

Most of the time, people are after a "set and forget" type of product. Overall, the more adjustment, tuning is permitted. The more it costs. Then comes to exotic material choice, now we're talking big dollars.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
goowakjai said:
If H&R has a coilover application made specifically for the TSX, then I would probably get their coilovers. The Teins, although they're dampening adjustable, I assume in the softest setting would still be stiffer than the H&R's. Is my assumption correct? What Tein has over H&R is that their office is in my area, so it would easier to get it repaired if anything happens.
Yes your assumption is quite accurate to say is right on the money, although Tein have adjustable shock dampers (Alike all major Japan coilover brands) ... Their spring rates in the lowest rating is still very much stiffer compared to H&R coilovers which are specifically designed for primary road use and the "once in awhile" trackday.

Teins in general especially their so called "road use products" are designed for the perfect roads in Japan even their road application is not soft in my experience. While some overhaul, rebuild can be done in-house. Some complicated or warranty issues will have to be sent back to Japan for replacement. This can become a timely process.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Noel said:
Yes, all this is limited to budget only and these products are ideally designed for racing applications instead of road applications. IMO, it defeats the purpose to run "street spec" spring rates on race coilovers unless you truly need the full adjustability for road use which I doubt.

Most of the time, people are after a "set and forget" type of product. Overall, the more adjustment, tuning is permitted. The more it costs. Then comes to exotic material choice, now we're talking big dollars.
:sprint: yeah .. most people wont touch it anyway after the installation ~
on top of that once u adjust the heigh .. the camber is off again .. ~
but u then have to find a set of coilovers that u wont regrate with the spring rates ~

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Always buy a street acceptable spring rating for whatever coilover you want if you want to maintain some sort of comfort along with the improved handling. Not bias to any brand or type of springs, here is my suggested spring rating for the CL9 strictly for road use.

Combination 1 - (F8K ~ R6K) | Street bias, with no intention for trackwork. Factory is approximately give an take 1K - 2K less.

Combination 2 - (F10K ~ R8K) | Sport bias. If you do trackdays ala less than 5 a year along with this being a daily road car. This will be a better balance for trackwork.

In general, do not buy one with the same rating front and rear, this is not a 50/50 bias vehicle application and will have a serious adverse change to the handling dynamics unless you know what you're getting yourself into.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
All Tein applications for the CL9 chassis are F10K ~ R6K. Way too stiff for crappy New England roads.

Any idea what H&R runs?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
No official figures that I'm aware of but my impression would be approximately (F6K/5K ~ R4K/3K) or so. It feels very comfortable especially on uneven/poor tarmac surfaces when I test drove one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts