Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Just throwing around an idea at the moment and am wondering if anyone’s tried it. I’m in the very preliminary stages of considering getting an Apexi Rev/Speed Meter and G-sensor to install in my Euro/TSX and would be interested to know if anyone’s done this, and if the current unit works with our car. After a search on the topic the only things I’ve found on APEXi concerns the V-AFC II. [[Edit Just found out on OzHonda that EuroAccord13 has one, so I know it will work! :) ]]

My plan is to build a jumper (if one isn’t available) so I can obviously ‘plug and play’ without damaging the stock wiring to the ECU, and locating it in the main centre compartment so I can hide it away when not in use. :ghost:

Cheers, :)

>>Injen CAI+Hondata Heat Shield Gasket+Comptech Short Shifter all soon to be installed and dynoed in three stages of installation<<

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an Apexi RSM in my DC5-R (American RSX-S). I had pulled this outta my EK civic before hand so this is the second car it has been in.

In order to not damage any of the ECU wiring all you need to do is splice the Rev/Speed wires coming from the Apexi RSM and then plug it into the white socket (If you get wat I mean) of the ECU wiring. You will need to jam the wires into the socket where the speed and rev are located in the ECU socket. But the only thing is to make sure that you duct tape it pretty good so then you don't get and loose wires coming out while driving. But I was a bit lazy and I just cut the ECU wires and hooked it up like that.

As for hiding it. Well before in my Civic I had a 'Kill' switch which was just a normal switch I bought from the electronics store for $0.99C. Hook it up with the power leads of the Apexi RSM, so then when you flick the switch it will kill the power. If you also wanna hide the RSM altogether then you can use some 'Velcro' so then you can pull it off at anytime you wish to hide it wherever.

So all in all, the installation is pretty easy, firstly find somewhere to get power from (I got it from a socket in the ECU wiring, you have to test around, but there should be 1 there somewhere). And also with the power, you will need to find one where it cuts power when you have the keys outta the ignition or else your RSM will stay on forever. Then find the speed and rev sensors (Will need 2 people. Rev is easy to find, but speed you will need to go for a drive to test it, so 2 people is needed). As for G-Sensor, I don't have 1 so dunno how to install.

Hope that helps. I can post a pic of where mine is if you like.

Edit: As for the plug and play socket, that sounds like a good idea. Just need to go and find a good socket from somwhere. Should be easy to do as there is only 2 wires needed for the RSm to work, REV and SPEED.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, thanks for the pointers Revolution. If I go ahead with it I'll be looking to buy the unit within the next two weeks or so (depending on availability here in Aus) or online. I haven't even had a look at my ECU yet (yeah I know :smash: )so I wasn't aware there was sufficient room in the back of the plug to jam the RSM's wire's down alongside the ECU's master inputs. It sounds like the biggest challenge is locating an appropriate power source.

Sure thing for the pics. Having them to compare never hurts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, it looks good and is nice and discrete there.

It also gives me a good idea of it's physical dimensions. I'm sure I'll be able to locate it in the centre compartment, I had a look this evening and i might be able to route the wiring between the open lid and the top of the storage bin, and still have some room for a few CD cases.

I'm in Brisbane Noel, and have been lurking around here, the other TSX forum and OzHonda since the start of '04. Had my Euro for 7months and am approaching 17,000km. From my brief looking into it the best price I've found is $340AUD for the RSM and $89.99 for the G-sensor, and that's from Importscene.co.au. My friend in the US hasn't shipped the CAI, gasket, or short shifter to me yet, so I may source one from there. Unless you know somewhere competative? :)

I also can't believe it's taken me 7months to get down and have a good look under the dash, and was a little stunned to see there's not a single panel covering access to it!. Though it makes perfect sense for crash worthiness, not to mention saving weight. Oh and here's the worst and most embarrassing bit....I still can't locate the ECU. Hence being back searching for posts on it's location.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Matell said:
I'm in Brisbane Noel, and have been lurking around here, the other TSX forum and OzHonda since the start of '04.
If you have problems installation your RSM, you can probably get it done at Centrax Auto in MacGregor. If not, they'd know who to recommend you to see. And yes, most if not all Hondas have nothing under the steering ... Don't ask me why but it's just how it's designed. While the ECU is located near the foot panel at the door on the passenger side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of taking it there to have them install it if I decide against doing it myself :). Nothing under the dash on either side :D I'm a little curious about the location you gave for the ECU though. Mine's bolted to the centre tunnel under the centre console, and accessed through the passenger door by removing the small plastic trim flap on the side of the centre console footwell , and pulling back the carpet. The nice big fat wiring loom coming through the firewall and then disappearing under the carpet was a dead giveaway. oooo4

Oh and I don't know if anyones said it, but those two girls in your signature are absolutely friggn gorgeous!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Sorry, I meant that's where you'd start to find it ... But you gave a better description in the end. :jester:

Nah, no one likes my chicks ... :soapbox:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts