Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently fallen in love with a used 2011 Acura tsx sport wagon. They're hard to find and this one, the interior and body are in great shape but it's got 150k miles on it and the owner is asking $12,500. This is the car's 3rd owner, it was well-cared for, and the interior looks pretty clean. But at 150k miles shouldn't I be worried about things like transmission failure? (researching it's Carfax revealed regular oil/filter changes, tires replaced several times, nothing major under the hood, although the 2nd owner put 10k miles on it in a six-month period in 2019!

I guess what I'm asking the community is, does this car sound like a good bet? I want to believe it

Thanks for any all responses!

·
Registered
422 Posts
That’s probably about right given the market. I bought my ‘09 sedan with a manual with lower mileage for about $4500 USD, but it’s not really a fair comparison, because the wagons have a bit of a following and the market is insane right now. If there are records of the transmission fluid being regularly serviced, then it’s probably fine. Make sure you see the car with the engine cold so you can see if there’s a nasty rattle on startup, indicating a faulty VTC actuator. I suspect that it’s been replaced if it’s at 150k miles. Also check for a timing chain replacement, and if it hasn’t been done, budget for one in the near future.

I’m also assuming that this is the I4, not the V6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s probably about right given the market. I bought my ‘09 sedan with a manual with lower mileage for about $4500 USD, but it’s not really a fair comparison, because the wagons have a bit of a following and the market is insane right now. If there are records of the transmission fluid being regularly serviced, then it’s probably fine. Make sure you see the car with the engine cold so you can see if there’s a nasty rattle on startup, indicating a faulty VTC actuator. I suspect that it’s been replaced if it’s at 150k miles. Also check for a timing chain replacement, and if it hasn’t been done, budget for one in the near future.

I’m also assuming that this is the I4, not the V6.
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, it's a 4cyl car. I'm having a hard time justifying paying $12k for a low-level luxury car to my girlfriend, who thinks things will go wrong within the next 20-30,000 miles and will cost thousands to repair, being an Acura. It's been driven around 13k miles a year for the last few years by the previous owner.

I wil check for all of the things you mentioned in your reply. Thank you!

·
Registered
422 Posts
who thinks things will go wrong within the next 20-30,000 miles and will cost thousands to repair, being an Acura.
Not sure I follow. Acura, for all intents and purposes, is very cheap to maintain, being as it's pretty much identical to its Honda counterpart, with the exception of some cosmetic changes. As far as the engine is concerned, they're virtually no different from the 8th gen Accord. Sure, it may cost a couple grand in the next 20k miles, but it'll be good to go for another 150k.

That's just the nature of buying a used car, unfortunately. If it makes you feel any better, I bought my TSX with 130k miles back in August of 2020 and it's now at 170k. All I've done is brakes and oil changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just watch for oil consumption - the 2.4 in the TSX had issues from 2010-2013. Once it starts, there's really no stopping it without a rebuild of the short block. There was a warranty extension on these cars, but it has expired.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something you should look out for is rust in the front wheel wells, right at the start of the side skirt. It might be behind a splash guard. Basically that spot can't drain mud and water. My wagon is starting to rust because of it already :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts