Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here, my name is Victor. I'm 17 years old and plan on purchasing an Acura as my first car. I've been doing a lot of research to find my desired first car, it came down to the TSX. I'm working around a 10-11k budget, I've saved up a solid 8 grand to throw as a down payment on the car and am going to ask my parents to get a loan for me and I'll pay off the rest monthly.

I'm buying the car with my own money so I'll be a bit tight on cash since I'm only making 110-200 bucks a week. I really like the Acura TSX, great MPG (perfect for me with current gas prices), I really don't NEED a V6 because I won't really utilize all that power and the sporty, compact sedan design appeals to me a lot in comparison to the TL's larger design.

Right now I'm looking at TSX's on craigslist, autotrader, eBay, and auctions. I'm not sure where to buy from and I'm also on the fence on whether I should get an 04, 05, 06. I lurk the forums frequently for opinions and such and I always see a comment in regards to the 04's being quite problematic. I'm a complete newbie with these cars with no real hands on experience.

The Acuras I am looking at are all around a 75-105k mile range, I don't know what the sweet spot is for these Acuras (in terms of repairs, check ups, regular maintainence and what not) so some insight on that would help be of great help.

I would really appreciate some input on the matter because I have a couple of Acuras lined up to go test and check out. Is there something I should look for specifically?

A relatively quick response is also appreciated since I do plan on seeing these cars sometime next week.

Thanks a lot guys.

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
I know this is very hard to consider at this point, but having
been exactly where you are myself many times before, I feel
I have the wisdom to make the suggestion:

up your price, borrow more from your parents, as much as
you can. get the best initial TSX you can get.

I know this is a very hard suggestion to take seriously or
to actually put into practice, but it's one you will be eternally
grateful for if you pull it off.

up it to how much? I don't know, I can tell you what to buy
though, and you can find out how much it'll cost.

get an 06. I think this one most will agree with me on. this
is actually really a no brainer, it's the sweet spot for the 1st
gen TSX. the most options, the most everything, the least
of worries. the 07 and 08 are just like the 06, they just have
the added TPMS system for tire pressure, no big deal.

the 04 and 05 are the older ones. there were literally hundreds
of upgrades and changes made between 05 and 06. if you
have the choice, get an 06. the improvements are vast, I
won't get into them here, but they're worth every penny.

mileage isn't really an issue. the "big" maintenance mark is 120k.
look at the table below, and make sure what you buy has everything
done to it that's on the list for it's mileage:
http://cyforce.org/tsx/tsx-schedule.pdf

these cars are reliable, they don't have any major issues really.
well aside from the 04 that is. so just keep with that table above
and all should be well. typical things need to be done at typical
mileages. I expect my TSX to run for 300,000 miles honestly.

what to look for is the basic stuff. service records are huge. there's
several checklists available online of things to check when shopping
for a new car. things like paint condition, carbon buildup on exhaust tips,
evidence of mold in seems of trunk, blah, blah. there's lots of little
things to look for. for the TSX, there's nothing special I can think of.

where to buy?
not too sure, not a good used car shopper.
what I would do, personally, is buy a car from this forum.

but they don't really come for sale here often, most of us
either keep our TSX, or we'll return it to stock and trade it
in somewhere or another, easier that way. so I guess then
it doesn't matter where it comes from. I'd prefer to get it
with as few owners as possible. so maybe from a dealer or
something? your call there.

best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome I appreciate it, looking forward to reading your response! :D

I'm also glad the post looks solid, I'm typing all of this on my iPhone 4 lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the valuable information, I really appreciate your input. If I want to go for an 06 it simply means I need to save a bit more or I need start selling some stuff to get some extra money.

I'll cancel my considerations with the 04/05 models since I really value everyone's input on this forum, who knows better than the day to day drivers themselves.

I took a quick look on Craigslist and found two solid offers, a white Acura 06 with 60k miles still under warranty for $12,500 (second owner, looks promising though). The other is a 2006 Acura with 52K miles for $12,000 but the description tells me "CLEAN Title ''with salvage history do to fender and bumper miner hit'" so I'm a little skeptical behind that claim.

Either way they both look like solid rides so I'll check them out. I don't mind upping my budget as long as it doesn't surpass 14K. Anything beyond 14K is simply out of the question for my current financial situation. I'll see if I can reap some cash from my parents since I really haven't asked them for anything, I also wanted to ask you though, how much does your insurance run for your Acura?

I am a new driver (responsible, but I'm sure everyone thinks they are when they are a first time driver so I'm sure I'll be challenged on that claim but it's understandable) and I think my insurance might be a bit much for an 06 Acura.

As long as I can run UNDER a 2k annual insurance I'll be happy.

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
insurance for me is cheap.
but I'm over 30, I don't get in accidents, and I'm smart with the insurance company.

seeing how I drive the car less than 7,500 miles a year, I applied for a savings in insurance
for "recreational" or whatever vehicles. I pay extra also to cover all of my aftermarket
parts, which are worth twice what my car is worth, lol.

in the end it comes to about $750 per year for the TSX, and I pay a similar price to
insure my 07 Honda Ridgeline.

if you're lucky, your parents will let you onto their insurance policy. that way it'll be
much more affordable. I'm not sure how much it'll cost you, that's between you and
the company. but if I were you, I'd research stuff like the low mileage discount and
really talk things over with the agent. get your premium as low as you can.

and if you think you're responsible then go to nationwide insurance, get a high deductible,
like $1000, and every year you have no accidents it drops $100, lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gottcha', my parent should be able to throw me on their policy but we'll see what happens. If anyone has any other inputs that might be helpful please feel free, the more I know the better!

I love the TSX and REALLY want to get one so I want to know this car inside out lol.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well, I have a 2004... what kind of problems are there supposed to be? Mine seems perfectly fine when I got it used. The only thing I can complain about is a warped rotor but that is more likely due to the original owner not knowing how to brake.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Agreed with mmstsx there has been some complaints about 04-05 models but its always like that when companies produce a new make and model car.... nontheless in some cases some 06-08 may have issues but not as much as the older models... I have an 06 and its been good with me since day one ... only problems I had was condesation on one headlight which the dealer replaced with new one and a recall that was done to a lot of tsx model years which was? shit I forgot but someone can chime on this one sorry.... also when you take a look at the car just bring a mechanic that you trust and ask for a carfax and just look for signs of repainted parts on the car , rust, and just spend sometime looking at everythin and question it when you have your mechanic there... it took me about 8 months to do my research on the tsx and made sure it was somethin that I can rely on and the maintanance was cost efficient well for me because I have a family.... even dough I spend quite a lot of money on it but its worth it and I love the car lol...but hope you find a nice tsx and just enjoy it... goodluck

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
Well, I have a 2004... what kind of problems are there supposed to be? Mine seems perfectly fine when I got it used. The only thing I can complain about is a warped rotor but that is more likely due to the original owner not knowing how to brake.
only a few problems, more so a lack of stuff vs. the 2006.

below shows the start of a list of the 06 improvements:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-general-car-topics/53190-2006-model-year-changes.html

but there are a few problems to note in the 04. most of all
being the a/c issue. it tends to basically blow up, lol. it'll stop
working, sometimes something breaks. the system fails. you
end up needing to pay like $4k or something for it. but I think
there might have been some headway made on getting Acura
to help or something. sooo many people have the problem, the
year, or early runs of the year, is known for it. it tends to happen
more I guess with cars that have a green light around the key
hole on the steering column. the blue lights tend to fare better.

there's other little issues. headlight condensation in 04 and 05,
prompting a redesign for the 06-08 years. on most years the
drivers seat can squeak, easy fix at the dealer. I think the windows
can squeak too, also easy fix.

there's a ton of tsb's, searching them out and reading them is
the most beneficial thing you can do to learn about all the issues.

darn, Honda stopped giving us access to the tsb's, that's crap.
I have a door rattle tsb to have taken care of.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks for the response MMsTSX. I guess the only real major thing I have to watch out for the moment is the A/C unit. Especially considering that ball park figure you gave me. Would anyone happen to know if TSB's have to be paid for by the customer or is covered by the dealer?

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
tsb is usually always a dealer thing.
it's basically a recall that's not a recall? lol
it's a defect or problem that's the fault of the manufacturer that's
been identified, solved and documented. it's not major enough
at all to warrant a recall or any real issuance of information, other
than to the mechanics at the dealers who will be fixing the issues.

it's nice to know what all the tsb's are, so we can get them taken
care of. but Honda caught on and won't let us see the tsb's anymore.
they were probably sick of paying for people's fix it requests.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good post, well written.

Personally, I have an 04, 6spd, with navi, that I paid 19k for back in 08.

I don't know what the mileage sweet spot is on these things, but if they are well maintained, they can last for a long time.

Here's a quick timeline:
2004 intro year, navi was only option, Hondata available
2005 same as 04, added XM radio, Hondata available
2006 redesigned gage cluster, upgraded navi, updated front bumper, added TPMS and bluetooth, slightly more HP, Hondata available
2007 same as 06, Hondata not available
2008 same as 07, Hondata not available

By looking at your price range, you can expect an 04 or 05 with the mileage you indicated (with navi if you're lucky), or maybe a higher mileage 06. Maybe a few bumps or scrapes. It may depend where you live, or how many TSX sellers there are around.

There are some complaints about the 04, but in my experience, I've had no unexpected problems with mine.

I'm going to disagree with what MMsTSX said in the 1st response. It sounds like you have a target budget, have done a good job saving, stick to your plan and don't borrow more then you need to. I think 10k (approx) should get you a reliable and decent looking TSX.

If you're in DC, I was thinking about selling mine for that price. :naughty: BTW, have you checked cars.com for a used TSX? That's where I found mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah now that I think about it jumping the gun with my budget might be a bad idea, I was probably just a bit excited because I really like this car and the upgrades to the 06 would be awesome for me.

I listen to a lot of music so the AUX input and Bluetooth would be an absolute pleasure, although I'm sure I can install an aftermarket system to enable iPhone playback through the car's stereo on an 04/05.

I'll still be lurking for the car, I'll wait it out a bit to see if I can find a really beautiful deal.

Such a tough decision!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I agree with mmstsx. I'd spend a bit more to know I've got a car with less owners and/or in better shape with service history. I paid over $30k for my car used.

In terms of insurance..I'm almost 24 and my insurance JUST dropped below $2k. No tickets,accidents etc. *knock on wood*

The tsx is not a costly car to insure..I'm sure that Ontario, Canada has high insurance costs as well as the area in which I live.

Best advice I can think of is not to rush. Don't just settle on something for the hell of getting it over with.

Do it right the first time. These 6 words have changed the way I live my life lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
we bought a black 2005 TSX AT a couple months ago with 70k on it for $13,500 here in California.

BUT, your SEVENTEEN. Get a $2000 ford ranger and drive it til it blows up when you graduate from college. Don't go out and blow 8 grand on something that is going down in value.

girls will not like you more because you have a TSX and not a 1994 ford ranger.
your buddies will not like you more because you have a TSX and not a 1994 ford ranger.

your wallet will like you a lot more.
5 years from now when you have a degree, nobody will care that you drove a ford ranger through college.

Take your $6000 and put it in the bank, save it for college, open an ING savings account that will give you at least like 2 or 3% or buy some nice dividend stocks or muni bonds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
^I'm seeing some good points there.
And that's coming from a guy who's dad bought him his first car! I wish when I was 17 my dad had told me, here's why we *aren't* getting you a car, and instead just put that into a college savings and made me walk to school. I lived pretty close, didn't really need a car. But oh man was I a whiner. I had myself convinced they *owed* it to me!! I remember being mad, just heated-can't-even-talk-to-them-mad because he wouldn't buy me a new 2001 mustang GT. Pissed. I was convinced I'd just go out and get some waste of time job when I was 17 and make payments on it. LOL how the hell would I have paid the insurance, hahaha. But we don't think like that when we're 17.

needless to say after a few wrecks, it was very wise that my dad hadn't bought me the mustang. What a change I had made that by 23 I was riding around on a crotch rocket CBR 600, rode it for two years and never had an issue.

moral of the story. drive a beater-mobile while you are young. saves soooo much money.

·
long-term build
2,761 Posts
not true.

I've never had a car bought for me. in fact, I've been living on my own since before
I could even drive. I was kicked out of my parent's house when I was 14. they didn't
like the idea of having a pot-smoking kid living in the house I guess. plus they were
getting divorced and stuff, nobody wanted to deal with me.

assumptions are bad, lol.

in any case, you make a very solid point.
my advice to him in my first post, is more like my advice to him in 10 years.
you're right about being 17, and I remember that time.

back then I don't think I could even afford a car. If I had one, it was one
of those old ass black Dodge Aries cars with a red bench seat, woot!

I'm not like most kids I guess, I never had any accidents when young. I did
have a couple close calls though. but I did watch everyone of my friends
practically wreck their cars back then. and most all of us were driving horrible
shit boxes. and you're right, nobody cares. having a nice car is almost looked
down upon by your peers I guess. well it depends on what crowds you roll with.

thinking about it, I'd say too get a beater.

for all the above reasons and also to avoid the mod bug. that damn mod bug will
end up taking too much of your time and money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts