Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always tough to make one of these threads, and I havent in a long time. I've owned my TSX since it was new in 2007. I love the car and there's not a thing wrong with it (except the clicking clutch pedal). Only problem is I can't help but feel a little shorted in the performance department. You may ask what's caught me eye? It's an IS 350. The 2011's are simply stunning. The performance, surprisingly fast. In the 13's stock at around 105+mph. Those are 335i numbers, and they're naturally aspirated. Problem is, they're around 40k in the 350 trim with the auto tranny. I owe about $19k on the TSX. Why so much? Let's just say I bought a GTO when they were new and cool in 2006 and traded it in for the TSX in 2007 when gas was $4.50+. Upside down much? Yeah. I am a little upside down on my car if I were to trade in, but I don't think I'm too far off if I wanted to sell it privately. I think I could part out my mods and put the money back into the car loan and probably break even. So let's lay it out:

Keeping the TSX Pro's:
1) I know the complete history of my car, and have the receipts for every service and mod.
2) Im happy with the looks, functionality, and gas mileage on the TSX.
3) It has every option I could reasonably ask for, including the NAV. I'm always surprised when I look at other new cars, the TSX really was a fantastic value when you consider all you get standard.
4) 6spd transmission is one of the best on the market, even new cars feel sloppy compared to it. If they would have left out the DBW, Id say it is the best Ive ever driven.

Getting the IS Pro's:
1) If I were to get a brand new 11' it would probably be in the form of a lease where I can wrap my negative equity into the payments. If not a lease, I would be looking for a certified pre-owned, but whether lease of CPO both have warranties and the TSX does not.
2) 306hp/277ftlbs tq, big jump from 200hp. Combine that with RWD and you got a nice sports sedan.
3) Auto trans. I drive in alot of traffic and the 6spd feels like a burden for commuter duty. Not to mention my wife cant drive my TSX now and the TSX 6spd is not friendly to novice drivers.
4) Lots on nice gadgets the TSX doesnt have, like keyless start, mark levinson audio, etc.
5) More aftermarket support, especially lip kits and the like.

For illustration:

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The fact that they don't offer the IS350 in stick is a big drawback. I believe the IS250 comes in stick and let's be honest - it has abundant power as well. Personally if you can afford the big hike in fuel consumption then go for it. I don't see why you need 300+ horsepower on a daily driver with today's gas prices though

I say split that 40k in half and get a used S2000 for your performance oriented weekend car. It's RWD, has 240hp and handles great.

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fact that they don't offer the IS350 in stick is a big drawback. I believe the IS250 comes in stick and let's be honest - it has abundant power as well. Personally if you can afford the big hike in fuel consumption then go for it. I don't see why you need 300+ horsepower on a daily driver with today's gas prices though

I say split that 40k in half and get a used S2000 for your performance oriented weekend car. It's RWD, has 240hp and handles great.
The lack of a manual doesnt bother me. Even if it was available I would still get the auto. The auto offered is a six speed with paddle shifters and, in my opinion, perfectly suited to the car. The IS250 generates only 200hp. I drove a manual 250 today and was thoroughly disappointed. The engine generated a lot of noise but no thrust. Plus, the shifter throw felt more like a tacoma and the tight wrist click shifting Im used to. It felt considerably slower than my TSX. My buddy had an s2000 and I drove it all the time. I agree that they are great toys, but I'm without a garage now so having 2 cars is not an option for me. I need my fun car to be my daily driver. And everyone needs a 300hp daily, obviously. Gas prices be damned.

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to get a solidly objective opinion on a TSX enthusiasts board

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'm also a fan of the IS350 but RWD kills it for me (in a snow-climate). IS350 AWD though seals the deal for me

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also a fan of the IS350 but RWD kills it for me (in a snow-climate). IS350 AWD though seals the deal for me
In VA, we dont get enough snow to amount to a hill of beans. And for some reason, all the AWD's, even the 350s, come with the ugly 17s. Surprisingly though, the AWDs are only a tenth of a second slower to 60mph. 5.7 vs 5.8 sec's

·
Controlling Destiny
334 Posts
To me, you're defeating your entire line of reasoning yourself.

It sounds like what you want, essentially, is more HP and gadgets.

Beyond that, you've listed far more reasons to keep the car than to get rid of it. Plus, considering how much you owe, there doesn't seem to be any reason whatsoever to even consider it. And in addition to be EVEN MORE in debt, the extra HP comes with a significant increase in fuel consumption, insurance costs and registration costs.

You may be able to part out the TSX and get the car that you want, but in all liklihood, you would immediately have the itch to begin modding the Lexus in some way. Again, adding to the overall cost to you.

I say get this idea out of you head entirely. I'm not being a hater, but sometimes we need the voice of reason to slap us around a bit.

The hell with performance. It doesn't sound like you can afford it. Long live the TSX!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep it. I wouldn't even think about selling mine, except that it's not a good vehicle if you need to pack a stroller, two suitcases, and a dog. I love the way mine drives- which is why I'll probably end up with a Sportwagon, if I can get over the lack of a standard transmission.
Truth be told, I'm not sure I can. When you've got such a good stickshift, going auto is pretty unpalatable.

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep it. I wouldn't even think about selling mine, except that it's not a good vehicle if you need to pack a stroller, two suitcases, and a dog. I love the way mine drives- which is why I'll probably end up with a Sportwagon, if I can get over the lack of a standard transmission.
Truth be told, I'm not sure I can. When you've got such a good stickshift, going auto is pretty unpalatable.
Have you driven a second gen yet? They completely killed any sense of sportiness from the car by packing on more weight than an army wife. I can only imagine the wagon being worse. I wish they would have pumped some more liveliness into it because a true sports wagon would have been a blessing for the acura line up.

And while, yes, I agree there is no way to get into the Lexus without adding more total debt. It's inevitable, they cost more than TSXs and I dont have any positive equity. As much as I love the thought of buying a new one, Ive learned my lesson on buying new cars and dealing with their depreciation. If I were to get a new one, it would have to be in the form of a lease. I talked to them today, and they want $3k down then it's $600 a month for 36 months. I think they can do alot better than that, but that was just a quick estimate with no real number crunching. Used ones 06-08 run from 25-30k, still expensive but not the 40+ for a brand new one.

Do I need the car, of course not. However, having an auto will have several side effects. One, Id be more open to buying a house on a side of town with worse traffic (and thus better house prices). Driving in stop and go with the 6spd sucks. Also, anytime I go out with my wife and I plan to drink we have to drive her civic (ugh) because she cant drive my tsx. Believe me, Ive tried teaching her.

Bottom line is that we all get to a point where we just get bored with our cars. Ive pumped alot of money into modding mine hoping that it would rekindle my love affair and although it's alot of fun it's at a point now where to take it to the next level is going to cost a lot more. (IE, forced induction) Would I mod the IS, of course, but probably along the same lines I modded my TSX. Wheels, suspension, and lip kit. Gas prices arent killing me. I get about 24mpg combined in the TSX and I imagine the IS wont be considerably worse. Squeeky clean driving record, plus being almost 30 and married means low insurance rates for me, another non-factor. I appreciate your voice of reason, and I will attempt to curb my impulsiveness.:king:

·
Controlling Destiny
334 Posts
Bottom line is that we all get to a point where we just get bored with our cars. Ive pumped alot of money into modding mine hoping that it would rekindle my love affair and although it's alot of fun it's at a point now where to take it to the next level is going to cost a lot more. (IE, forced induction) Would I mod the IS, of course, but probably along the same lines I modded my TSX. Wheels, suspension, and lip kit. Gas prices arent killing me. I get about 24mpg combined in the TSX and I imagine the IS wont be considerably worse. Squeeky clean driving record, plus being almost 30 and married means low insurance rates for me, another non-factor. I appreciate your voice of reason, and I will attempt to curb my impulsiveness.:king:
As long as you are looking at all angles realistically, and still think that you can handle it all, then go for it!

Looking forward to a parting out thread!

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As long as you are looking at all angles realistically, and still think that you can handle it all, then go for it!

Looking forward to a parting out thread!
Check out the classifieds and you wont be disappointed.

hey OP guy if you dont mind ill trade my 06 auto for your 07 6speed :king:
I dont think it works that way.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
My friend leased an is350 back in 08 and then went to an 11 TL and couldn't be any sadder. And its not because of the power, its because of the little things:

While the TSX punches (1st or 2nd gen) a lot of hefty features standard, the refinement, the little gadgets (rain sensing wipers, headlight washers, push button, levinson sound system, etc.) and superb fit and finish all contribute to why its such a refined car overall. The auto 6 speed is so peppy it almost feels as responsive as an SMG transmission.

And that car can move.........hitting 140mph is easy lol.

For those concerned about gas mileage, heres a funny comparo:

My 06 tsx with 60k miles new plugs, air filter, oil change averages: 22 mpg combined 60 city/ 40 highway.

His 08 IS350 averaged: 21mpg 50/50.

His 11 TL: 18mpg lulz.

On a final note, his engine did make a weird ticking noise, which as he found out is standard.

My only quirk: That IS350 interior is super outdated to me. Not talking about gauges, etc, I'm talking about the center dash, the buttons....green and tacky.

If you can get past that its clearly a winner. The suspension is very buttery yet sporty too.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
347 Posts
People buy IS350s when there's a perfectly good G37 for less money?!? Seriously?!? (A base G37 is ~$4k less than a base IS350)

Whatever floats your boat but it sounds like you're opting to double your car debt for a car that isn't even best in class and is due for a refresh. That sounds like an unusual decision.

·
MH-53e Driver
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
G37 sedans belong at golf courses and church, they are not a young person's car. I am not buying a new IS, just a used one and theyre about 25k. Im also parting out my car and selling it stock to avoid the negative equity from trading it in. It's the most responsible thing I can do to satisfy my gotta-have it attitude.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
G37 sedans belong at golf courses and church, they are not a young person's car. I am not buying a new IS, just a used one and theyre about 25k. Im also parting out my car and selling it stock to avoid the negative equity from trading it in. It's the most responsible thing I can do to satisfy my gotta-have it attitude.

have you driven a g37S sedan? They're pretty peppy and fun to drive, and are faster than an is350 number wise.

Seems like you already have your mind set on an IS350, and at this point, no ones opinion will matter. Woulda been better holding off on a thread till its in your driveway lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts