Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a lot of experience selling exhausts to TSXs and TLs. TL people simply LOVE the ATLP Quad. It is an $1195 system. We have never been able to sell a system over $1000 to TSX people with the rare exception of those few J's people over the last few years. We have only sold a few Fujitsubos which are right near that mark as well. It's a shame. But we understand.

What we HAVE sold a lot of are A'PEXi WS2 when we had them under $700 and a load of Skunk2 systems which are a little less. Now that the WS2 is more than $800 those have dried up.

Now, there are a lot of questionable systems for less (read, the shit on ebay, which we don't even look at because we can't really know that children working 16 hour days are not making them). Frankly, we don't care. Cheap systems are not what we are into. They may be fine, and get good reviews online and such, but every time we took a nibble on a TGTBT ebay deal we were UNHAPPY. Maybe our standards are too high. Maybe we are snobs. We are manufacting people with an eye for quality and respect for our cars. No cheap bits for us. And especially no brand-name-biters.

We think the market needs a really good quality made in the USA system that makes the hairs on your neck stand up with the sound, and comes as an optional single or dual kit in an appropriate size for making power (2.5") that sells for right around $650-699.

Such a kit would likely be a coated steel piping system with stainless muffler(s) and a nice complimentary tip with the ATLP/Heeltoe stamp of approval, worry free customer support, SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR MAX GROUND CLEARANCE AND FITMENT WITH UNDER-CHASSIS BRACES, and dyno-proven power.

Thoughts?

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
not to two-time the kteller thread, but if that didn't pan out i'd be down for a single 2.5" ATLP.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
We think the market needs a really good quality made in the USA system that makes the hairs on your neck stand up with the sound, and comes as an optional single or dual kit in an appropriate size for making power (2.5") that sells for right around $650-699.

Thoughts?
My honest opinion is that I think the TSX/CL9 chassis is saturated with exhaust options. There are many systems out there and although some may not want to pay the $1k price tag, there definitely are people that are purchasing these exhausts.

I think the ATLP name is so popular with the TL crowd because the TL is an American market car. There aren't any "JDM" brands making exhausts for the TL, at least not the 3G and 4G models. Since the exhaust options for the TL are much less vast, there's high demand there.

The whole "Made in USA" might not be a selling point with some users. The "JDM" fad is still here and the TSX has a healthy number of "JDM" exhaust options to complete all those "JDM" themed builds. If you think of why the Fujitsubo and Apex'i systems are popular, sound is the main reason but I'm sure the "Made in Japan" is also a factor. It complements the whole picture, one that is trying to make the TSXs that we drive into JDM Accords.

Now the JDM thing might not apply to everyone, but as I said, the market is flooded with systems for people to choose from. Just off the top of my head: Fujitsubo, Apex'i, Skunk 2, Comptech/CT Engineering, Tanabe. And since the exhaust itself doesn't net that much gain compared to other mods, some users don't even want to invest in a cat-back system. It makes sense, why spend $1k for 2-4hp gain when you can spend half that and make better gains with a header? Or less than half that for double the gains with a UR Pulley Set.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or shoot the idea down, but I read the post about "Interest Here, Interest There", and I don't think that time should be wasted designing a product that already exists in the market.

·
Triple Platinum Member
596 Posts
I'll second the post above.

Dyno proven gains will be hard to come by.

Theses cars are in the hands of their second, third or fourth owners by now. Look at some of the other discussions in other FS threads: many people are interested in either buying quality used aftermarket stuff for ~30% of the original purchase price OR are looking for someone to validate the cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think the demand will be there because of tuning options available today. Soon their will be turbo kits made as well. My exhaust isnt JDM and I purchased it with one thing on my mind.. "Making The Most Power Possible." Knowing I had a fully programmable ecu to utilize the sizing of the exhaust and my existing mods, it made sense.

I wasn't in it for sound so with that being said, there are people out there that aren't just in it for sound and most "popular" brands. If anyone here is trying to making power with their Turbo, Supercharger or N/A builds, going with an Ebay system isn't gonna give you the performance your looking for. I'd be interested in a 3" Single!

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts

Such a kit would likely be a coated steel piping system with stainless muffler(s) and a nice complimentary tip with the ATLP/Heeltoe stamp of approval, worry free customer support, SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR MAX GROUND CLEARANCE AND FITMENT WITH UNDER-CHASSIS BRACES, and dyno-proven power.

Thoughts?
I will tell you this. At that price point, with something backed by HT, I can see this selling very well (I myself, who is interested in the fujitsubo feeler, am willing to wait), so long as it can maintain the resonation/tone and look of exhaust systems not within its price range.

Too often I see myself window (well online) shopping at skunk2 systems but am turned off by the exhaust note or more so, the canister design (think Greddy EVO). I like to think of the TSX as a luxury car, not your typical fart can civic.

I like Fujitsubo/Comptech/Tanabe systems for those reasons, but the price range is the tradeoff.

If you can pull both of those together (perhaps trading off certain things such as full stainless steel, hollow exhaust hangars for weight savings etc.) there is no reason why this wouldn't sell....very well. Its the best of both worlds. Mix in a dyno sheet...and you only go further.

I might speak for a few of us when I say this, just keep in mind, exhaust note is very very important. A nice design, high quality, dyno proven and cheap might not sell if it sounds "bad". I quote bad because everyone has different tastes, and while it may be near impossible to figure out a way to replicate/design an exhaust note, in the R&D process perhaps you can work with trial and error to find the best sound.

Good luck, thanks for still caring about the cl9 community!

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies!

My honest opinion is that I think the TSX/CL9 chassis is saturated with exhaust options. There are many systems out there and although some may not want to pay the $1k price tag, there definitely are people that are purchasing these exhausts.

I think the ATLP name is so popular with the TL crowd because the TL is an American market car. There aren't any "JDM" brands making exhausts for the TL, at least not the 3G and 4G models. Since the exhaust options for the TL are much less vast, there's high demand there.

The whole "Made in USA" might not be a selling point with some users. The "JDM" fad is still here and the TSX has a healthy number of "JDM" exhaust options to complete all those "JDM" themed builds. If you think of why the Fujitsubo and Apex'i systems are popular, sound is the main reason but I'm sure the "Made in Japan" is also a factor. It complements the whole picture, one that is trying to make the TSXs that we drive into JDM Accords.

Now the JDM thing might not apply to everyone, but as I said, the market is flooded with systems for people to choose from. Just off the top of my head: Fujitsubo, Apex'i, Skunk 2, Comptech/CT Engineering, Tanabe. And since the exhaust itself doesn't net that much gain compared to other mods, some users don't even want to invest in a cat-back system. It makes sense, why spend $1k for 2-4hp gain when you can spend half that and make better gains with a header? Or less than half that for double the gains with a UR Pulley Set.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble or shoot the idea down, but I read the post about "Interest Here, Interest There", and I don't think that time should be wasted designing a product that already exists in the market.
JDM...I am not sure to whom the JDM thing is REALLY that important to any more. I have had 5Zigen, HKS, and a few other nutty JDM options on my site for years with nothing as much as a nibble on them. The Fujitsubo has a demand because it is simply an amazing system...sound, looks stockish, and performance gains (enough to make me believe we are talking about more than a 2-4 hp gain on a well made system, but this of course remains to be seen. Fact is you might make more on a stock car with a header and a high flow cat, but after you get those mods the exhaust becomes a bit more significant. Truth be told I FELT my exhaust upgrade. I didn't feel my pulley upgrade.).

You make a good point on the TL. But I think more than it being a "JDM" or "USDM" thing, the ATLP kits look and sound awesome. I think the fact that there are few options supports the price. For the TSX I think this is not the case. There are a lot of options as you mention, and most of the ones there are either ricey or $1000 (give or take). I for some reason believe there is a market for an exhaust that isn't ricey and is more affordable.

I'll second the post above.

Dyno proven gains will be hard to come by.

Theses cars are in the hands of their second, third or fourth owners by now. Look at some of the other discussions in other FS threads: many people are interested in either buying quality used aftermarket stuff for ~30% of the original purchase price OR are looking for someone to validate the cheaper alternative.
So what I am looking at is making a system that costs 30% less than the competition. And there would be much less need to validate a system we make under a trusted brand name. Not everyone has heard of it, but don't you think part of the reason cheap stuff is not validated is because WE don't carry them? People do lots of poking around on our site and they trust our opinions...it does mean something.

I will tell you this. At that price point, with something backed by HT, I can see this selling very well (I myself, who is interested in the fujitsubo feeler, am willing to wait), so long as it can maintain the resonation/tone and look of exhaust systems not within its price range.

Too often I see myself window (well online) shopping at skunk2 systems but am turned off by the exhaust note or more so, the canister design (think Greddy EVO). I like to think of the TSX as a luxury car, not your typical fart can civic.

I like Fujitsubo/Comptech/Tanabe systems for those reasons, but the price range is the tradeoff.

If you can pull both of those together (perhaps trading off certain things such as full stainless steel, hollow exhaust hangars for weight savings etc.) there is no reason why this wouldn't sell....very well. Its the best of both worlds. Mix in a dyno sheet...and you only go further.

I might speak for a few of us when I say this, just keep in mind, exhaust note is very very important. A nice design, high quality, dyno proven and cheap might not sell if it sounds "bad". I quote bad because everyone has different tastes, and while it may be near impossible to figure out a way to replicate/design an exhaust note, in the R&D process perhaps you can work with trial and error to find the best sound.

Good luck, thanks for still caring about the cl9 community!
Thanks for the encouragement. I think you see the angle here...I have a fujitusbo now and believe-you-me, the last thing I want to do is get away from this sound. This kit is absolutely amazing. I am absolutely sure we can achieve the right tone/sound. And with the right resonator options have the right noise level as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd be interested if the noise levels are similar to a Fujitsubo. My Greddy is a bit too loud for my aging ears but I love the growl at startup/idle and at low throttle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would definitely be interested but just wondering how the steel/materials would withstand harsh winter where alot of salt is used?

·
#HTinyourcorner
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if it's possible to make ATLP one for TSX with quality like Fujitsubo and for ~ 700 USD it would be great !
Yeah...it would be :0)

But that isn't quite what we are getting at.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I can stand behind any of the Marcus words coz think same and do same - just give the best and take the same . The only problem there is that high gains design cant be quiet and vise versa, its always compromise for everyone, and the point of that compromise isnt fixed.
So my bet Markus : if you can make a good price\quality and a wide choice of options , throw in sound clips , few nice manufacturing pics ( without nude asian chicks please !! ) and can really let your customer to buy what he want instead of what you have then success and respect is yours.

As for now , i got the point when my exhaust starts to be narrow for my mods but i dont want to buy anything overseas without holding it in hands before, listen to it , see and feel the real gains. So i found a local muffler shop and gonna fck em really hard to make a catback of my dream. They have everything for it , good equipment , r&d , fine materials that best EU companies use. And killing ad price for being first with CL9 ( hope they will not pay me for this LOL ) )) Ill share my experience when i finish.

Build your own exhaust is a nice trick, noone have it, you can try Marcus . Most of CL9ers r keyboard tuners\stylers so variety of sound could be your joker in this game )

·
Registered
231 Posts
Marcus, my .02.

I think this can be done, I had a 2K1 Maxima, and had this cat back on it (CB-G5):
Cattman Performance

Stainless and $599. It was built very well, all mandrel bent, and sound under acceleration with the Y pipe was better than a G35.

I guess my point is this can be done, and done well, it has in the past. The costly part is what muffler to use, you can do many different ones, with various sounds and configurations inside- no louvers, perf core resonator please.

If you can come up with a system that does not drone at cruising speed, which is so annoying! and does not break the bank I think you will do well in the $599 range.
A well designed system can reduce back-pressure and not be so loud as to not have a conversation inside the car. I would also like to see a system that has each muffler with a flange so if you need to you can replace it (Muffler) without having to cut and re-weld one in place.

Pair this with my prior suggestion of the Burns header design and I think you will have a real winning combo.

I say go for it!

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Marcus, my .02.

I think this can be done, I had a 2K1 Maxima, and had this cat back on it (CB-G5):
Cattman Performance

Stainless and $599. It was built very well, all mandrel bent, and sound under acceleration with the Y pipe was better than a G35.

I guess my point is this can be done, and done well, it has in the past. The costly part is what muffler to use, you can do many different ones, with various sounds and configurations inside- no louvers, perf core resonator please.

If you can come up with a system that does not drone at cruising speed, which is so annoying! and does not break the bank I think you will do well in the $599 range.
A well designed system can reduce back-pressure and not be so loud as to not have a conversation inside the car. I would also like to see a system that has each muffler with a flange so if you need to you can replace it (Muffler) without having to cut and re-weld one in place.

Pair this with my prior suggestion of the Burns header design and I think you will have a real winning combo.

I say go for it!
I wanted a cattman when I had my i35....instead I got an HKS sport axleback lol

Cattman = top quality stuff :).

FYI though, cattman was priced at $600 for a catback on a car with a single exit exhaust....dual exhaust = more piping, another canister, perhaps more bends..

EDIT: Btw, cattman is for sale lol.

·
Triple Platinum Member
596 Posts
Any consideration to something axle-back? Provide a set of flanges that you can use to make swapping between the axle-back and OEM muflers possible?

The stock tubing and resonators flow well. Unless you need the increased pipe diameter because of having forced induction, the only thing I would really want to change is the way the mufflers look.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
If I didn't already have an exhaust, I would be interested

1 - 20 of 30 Posts