Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having the whirring/screeching sound occurring at the friction point of the clutch, starting from standstill, more prominent with an incline load.

Done much research on it. Finally brought it to Acura and showed them the noise. Tech thought it was release bearing as well. Said he would call Tech Line and confirm.
Tech describes problem, and Tech Line immediately says NO, just change out the whole clutch assembly, it's probably a pressure plate issue. Apparently they are doing this under warranty. So I get a New Free Clutch at 85K. Which is great IMO. But the Shop Super says that he is somewhat put off at their quick confirmation for new assembly, thinking there is some sort of big issue that they don't want to bother with. Hmmm.

Stepping back in time, I thought this was a simple bearing issue, so I figured why not replace the clutch under warranty labour when they do the bearing. Bought an Exedy Stage 1 and Chromoly Flywheel. Now I have an EXTRA not free clutch :)P) Tech said he is wary of putting in my clutch because of the warranty work he might get in trouble with. If there is an issue later on (a future hidden one he is concerned Tech Line knows about), my aftermarket won't be covered. Well, I have exactly 14 days left on my power train warranty. So does it matter? I'm on my own anyways after May 1st right?

Can I/Should I make him replace my aftermarket clutch/flywheel during the warranty work?

thx friends!

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update:
Dealer explained he cannot put in my AM clutch assembly under warranty work if they expect him to buy the OEM setup. Obviously, he can't order a part under warranty and not install it. Makes sense, although it would have been nice to have a free stock clutch and install the Exedy.

**Question, how do the Chromoly Flywheel and Stock Flywheel compare fit-wise? Can I install just the Exedy Flywheel with the stock clutch or is the fit not right? Also, is the lighter flywheel too detrimental to the stock clutch.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this just a silly question? :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I actually just went through a very similar issue. My tech thought it was the release bearing..found out that the release bearing was dry and making some sound and covered it under warranty. While it was out I paid for the clutch assembly parts but labour was covered.

The following was replaced:
flywheel
pressure plate
friction disk
pilot bearing
release bearing (not paid for)

They also replaced my MTF so that's one thing off my maintenance list

I still paid about $1k but figured i'd get this stuff done while the car was apart. Labour was a bit over $1k but all covered.

Any feedback?

My warranty also expires in May

BTW I considered aftermarket parts but decided against it. I don't think there's much to gain considering I'm not building my engine..I'd prefer it to remain a reliable DD.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'm actually concerned that you had parts + labour covered while I just had labour..

I wonder what the difference was. I'm going to call the dealer on monday b/c it seems that we had the same issue.

Please let me know if you'd be willing to provide some more info so I can let him know more detail. PM me if you're more comfortable that way. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
pm sent. I'm concerned about two different resolutions reached (and costs incurred) for what seems to be the same issue. Please help wherever possible.

If anyone else has experience in a matter like this, please advise who can be contacted. I'm first going to contact the dealer on monday and then Honda Canada after that.

Thanks in advance. I feel ripped off.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was also my concern, but I felt like I would appear over-selfless if I brought it up myself lol. How is it that all the member posts I've looked up on here and az have only done bearing work where I get it possibly all free? Don't get me wrong, it's awesome. (and I hope any influx of "hey that guy got it free" to Acura won't change their minds on me)
But what actually did change their minds? Do they now recognize the problem? If so, there's a lot of people who deserve a reimbursement... And Acura might make me disappear ^^

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
**Question, how do the Chromoly Flywheel and Stock Flywheel compare fit-wise? Can I install just the Exedy Flywheel with the stock clutch or is the fit not right? Also, is the lighter flywheel too detrimental to the stock clutch.
The Exedy flywheel (if it's the HF02) will not mount to a stock clutch. You need both flywheel and clutch because the combo is meant for the K20 engine.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
This was also my concern, but I felt like I would appear over-selfless if I brought it up myself lol. How is it that all the member posts I've looked up on here and az have only done bearing work where I get it possibly all free? Don't get me wrong, it's awesome. (and I hope any influx of "hey that guy got it free" to Acura won't change their minds on me)
But what actually did change their minds? Do they now recognize the problem? If so, there's a lot of people who deserve a reimbursement... And Acura might make me disappear ^^
They wouldn't be able to change their minds about your charge or lack thereof. if you can provide some info so I can atleast escalate to Honda then maybe we can start helping other owners that may deserve reimbursement. TBH we have to start somewhere..If it makes you feel safer, how about releasing some info after you get your car repaired? This will help me and possible other members save $1k from Honda Canada that already gives us Cdns the short end of the stick when compared to our american counterparts.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh! Lol I was never planning to not share the info :). I'm not worried, personally I would like to put in the exedy clutch. I'll be dropping the car off wed, once it's done I'll give you the info they give me.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An thanks horro. Makes sense I should have remembered that from my reading. The drop off date for my car was just approaching fast ^^

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Oh! Lol I was never planning to not share the info :). I'm not worried, personally I would like to put in the exedy clutch. I'll be dropping the car off wed, once it's done I'll give you the info they give me.
Sounds good. I'll be waiting :)

Thanks

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
They fixed the clutch with OEM clutch on warranty. No Bill for me.
Update 2:
Had to bring it back bc they missed something about the contacts to turn my backup lights when in reverse.
Update 3!!!:
I now have another issue.
My clutch when engaged makes the sound of worn through brake pads on rotors... Especially when using engine compression to control my speed downhill. It makes random sounds of metal tapping metal. It intensely stutters at initial ignition and with a load (uphill - starting from slow roll in second) where it makes a loud knocking of metal on metal at the same time....
Anybody have any ideas what happened for when I bring it back and glare at them??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts