Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Woody
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had $1000 to drop in a full audio upgrade in a 2004 non Navi what would you do?
What kind of head unit?

I kinda liked some of the pictures of the sub behind the backseat armrest but it would have to be cleanly done.

Let me know what yall would do in this situation.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Depends on what your going for and what you already have. Do you have any equipment, wires etc? What overall goal do you want to achieve? What kind of music do you listen to? $1000 doesn't give you a whole lot of wiggle room for equipment once installation (if your not doing it) and install materials is added up. Not to say it can't be done. It just needs to be done wisely.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Woody
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get a pretty good deal from an audio shop where I live.
As of right now I have all bone stock equipment.
I pretty much go in and tell him what I want and my price range and he can fix me up and if he cant he gets as close as possible.

I am not looking for anything outrageous mostly new door speakers and a 10 or possibly a 12.

I also am still debating on getting a new head unit or using the stock radio.

The main reccomendations I am looking for is brands and things to stay away from.
I guess I just need to decide what I want.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
well if your going to go to a shop anyhow, see what he says and come back

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Great suggestion, spend over 50% of your intended budget on a sound processor. Then, pick up some Wal Mart speakers and put the sub in a ducktaped carboard box (sarcasm).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would also recommend the MS-8, putting a crappy stock signal into the best speakers in the world will still sound like crap. You can hook the MS-8 up to your factory speakers and it will give you a very measurable improvement over stock. Also its a fantastic cornerstone to add additional equipment later.

For $1,000.00 I would get an MS-8 and a single 10" sub and amp. It will greatly improve the front speakers and give you that low end the TSX is so badly missing. You will be able to add in additional amplifiers and speakers as you go instead of having to replace everything at once like you would with adding an aftermarket deck or bypassing the factory amp by other means.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Great suggestion, spend over 50% of your intended budget on a sound processor. Then, pick up some Wal Mart speakers and put the sub in a ducktaped carboard box (Ignorance).

Fixed that for you :eek:hsnap:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
well yes and no.

I would need more info on the MS8 to agree with you.

All the soundprocessors I have used before MUST have an amp. They dont power anything and arent designed to. Once you put them in the signal line you have to have an amp to power the speakers. So unless it powers speakers and is a soundprocessor you just suggested something that is going to leave him with no sound and a budget to get very low end speakers.

I would also recommend the MS-8, putting a crappy stock signal into the best speakers in the world will still sound like crap.
I have a sound system that would put that statement to shame ;) Its all in the tuning of the system. The TSX amp is actually very flat 0-15 at which point it gets screwy very quickly. If you tune a sound system to max out at 15 on the volume you wont have a problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
well yes and no.

All the soundprocessors I have used before MUST have an amp. They dont power anything and arent designed to. Once you put them in the signal line you have to have an amp to power the speakers. So unless it powers speakers and is a soundprocessor you just suggested something that is going to leave him with no sound and a budget to get very low end speakers.

I have a sound system that would put that statement to shame ;) Its all in the tuning of the system. The TSX amp is actually very flat 0-15 at which point it gets screwy very quickly. If you tune a sound system to max out at 15 on the volume you wont have a problem.
The MS-8 has on board amplification for speaker level outs, or preamp outs and you can mix and match amplified or preamp output for a total of 8 channels. That is why I suggested it and a sub setup as a first step. It will clean up, time align, crossover, and EQ the stock speakers improving the sound quality as well as offer pre amp out puts to add a sub.

As far as your particular system is concerned I don't know what your running so I wont comment on that. I'm well aware of the capabilities of the factory amp and head unit, however for a $1,000.00 system upgrade for someone who isn't installing it themselves this is probably the best bang for the buck. If the OP was looking to do the install on their own and only looking at buying equipment my suggestion would be completely different.

·
Triple Platinum Member
601 Posts
If you don't get the MS8 you will have every issue you do now (with phase and time alignment, door panel resonance, etc), only louder. You don't measure sound quality in dB's. For this budget, you can't have the best of everything. Do one thing well. You will be surprised how well your stock speakers will sound, and may decide not to change them. MS8 + sub/amp is a good recommendation. The MS8 will accept the balanced outs from the OEM HU, and everything is very, very clean.

Reactions: Southpawskater

·
Registered
165 Posts
well yes and no.

I have to ask out of curiosity, forgive my ignorance, but how do you tune a stock amplifier?

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
If you don't get the MS8 you will have every issue you do now (with phase and time alignment, door panel resonance, etc), only louder. You don't measure sound quality in dB's. For this budget, you can't have the best of everything. Do one thing well. You will be surprised how well your stock speakers will sound, and may decide not to change them. MS8 + sub/amp is a good recommendation. The MS8 will accept the balanced outs from the OEM HU, and everything is very, very clean.
Pardon my ignorance, but if the MS8 is an Amp(correct?) and has 8 channels, why can't one of those channels be used to power the say 10" Alpine Sub one might be getting?

I thought one of the benefits of getting an MS8 was that it serves as the amplifier and EQ and centralizes hookups all in one?

Maximum Output Power: 30 watts x 8-channels @ 2-ohms
- If my say Alpine 6.5 components suggest an RMS of 45 watts, will this be OK? Could you use multiple channels to give the Sub in the trunk all the juice it needs?

Tnx

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Not enough power to get the sub moving. It's just enough to get by on door speakers. The amp also probably wasn't designed to be bridgable

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Also never look at maximum output. These usually are not a fair representation of the amount of power you will receive normally. Always follow the RMS power raitings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry if I'm way off but I'm new to this whole TSX thing and sound system in general. never had a nice system really this in depth.

But instead of buying the MS8 which really just helps the weak oem hu it sounds like you're better off getting a new aftermarket hu, speakers, 2 amps, and a small single sub for this vehicle. Sounds like the MS8 really is overpriced for what it does, Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Your missing the fact that you can't remove the stock hu. There is no dash kit. If you wanted an after market hu you'd have to install it in the pocket beneath

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Not enough power to get the sub moving. It's just enough to get by on door speakers. The amp also probably wasn't designed to be bridgable
Thats what i thought / was afraid of... So I can still use that MS8 to power the new
6.5s in the doors, and it will make installation of a Sub in the back easier, correct?

The MS8 would then sit in the trunk, on top of my 10" Sub... And I'd either have a powered sub (plugged into the MS8?) or an Amp, which also would get routed through the MS8 correct?

I've got a 2008 w NAV btw. In a perfect world I would like to add an iSimple device that lets me scroll songs via steering wheel controls... Would it make sense to have that installed when the speakers/MS8/Sub all get installed too? Im putting a lot of stock into what you guys have been saying about the MS8 being the best thing since sliced bread.

Tnx again

1 - 20 of 27 Posts