Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it best to run the lc6i after the factory amp and let it do its summing thing, or to connect before the factory amp???

I just purchased $1000 worth of equipment on amazon and am taking it to a shop to get it installed but i want to be an informed customer so they can connect it right.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Before the small factory amp. I did it after for a while and then the factory amp crapped out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What equipment did you go with?

JL audio xd 400/4
Polk audio dxi6500 component for front and coax for rear.
and kicker ks69's(6x9) because I dont want a bass but these have a frequency response starting at 30 and goes to 20k because its a 2 way, so it should hit decently hard given the frequencies it can play.

How did your factory amp crap out?

and if i put the lc6 before the factory amp, then i wouldn't be able to remove it when i sell the car because all the wires that connect to the factory amp will be cut right??

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Nice equipment.

I honestly have no idea what happened to the stock amp, just came out one day and it didn't work.

Either way you install it your going to have to re splice wires to go back to stock. It's not too hard as long as you know what wires your looking for. Do you have a wiring diagram of the stock stereo setup?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Also your going to want the volume knob for the audio control because after you tune it you are NOT going to want to change the volume knob on the stock radio because it will change the signal going to the audio control.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also your going to want the volume knob for the audio control because after you tune it you are NOT going to want to change the volume knob on the stock radio because it will change the signal going to the audio control.

I don't have the stock wiring diagram, but im sure i can find it on here/google.

And isn't maximizing the lc6i with the factory radio set to volume 15-20ish supposed to be done so that the volume can be controlled on the stock radio/steering wheel, without the sound getting distorted by going to high on the stock radio volume?

because thats what both crutchfield and audiocontrol told me.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I just installed the ms-8 and have the wires highlighted and labeled in my tech manual. My girl is giving birth today but I will try to get you pics of my notes so wiring will be easy as possible.

AudioControl and Crutchfield are right, it doesn't distort too bad within those fields but it will distort. Also the bass will be high at low volume and the bass output will stop as the volume is increased.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats man.

And that would be helpful, thank you.

What do you mean bass would stop at high volume?
It shouldn't roll off because the factory HU/amp still think their volume is at 15-20, so roll off shouldn't even be an issue until i turn up the volume to 30ish (which i never would).

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It still rolls off even without the stock amp. Its not a flat signal coming out of the hu and when you change the volume on the stock knob it changes the EQ as the volume changes. So to negate that, I would suggest a volume knob for the AudioControl. It is an option, and its up to you so install it, check it out and then make your decision. Either way let me know how you like it and what you dont like about it. I might be in the market to sell my JBL MS-8 for something like this.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i spoke to audiocontrol, they said that only speaker level inputs work with the lc6i, so putting it before the amp most likely will NOT work. He said the unit is designed to take the speaker outputs from the stock amp and sum them together to from a full range rca signal that can then go to the amp.
So ALL of the factory eq.'s will remain, just the system will be louder due to the amp...which is perfectly fine with me.

Thanks for the diagram.
Dude, the ms-8 is WAYYYYY better than anything audiocontrol makes...the ms-8 is the best of the best in terms of sound quality and processing for oem retention.

I wouldn't part with it if i was you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When i spoke to audiocontrol, they said that only speaker level inputs work with the lc6i, so putting it before the amp most likely will NOT work. He said the unit is designed to take the speaker outputs from the stock amp and sum them together to from a full range rca signal that can then go to the amp.
So ALL of the factory eq.'s will remain, just the system will be louder due to the amp...which is perfectly fine with me.

Thanks for the diagram.
Dude, the ms-8 is WAYYYYY better than anything audiocontrol makes...the ms-8 is the best of the best in terms of sound quality and processing for oem retention.

I wouldn't part with it if i was you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you guys think I should just send the lc6i back and get the ms8 since it makes the sound so much better than just a line out convertor?
Plus its a real processor too right?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It depends on your budget. Who would say no to an upgrade lol. I picked mine up recently on eBay. It's a refurb straight from jbl and I got it for less than $400. Tuning is cumbersome and very time consuming but the time correction is amazing! It wouldn't be as bad if you could find a audio shop in your area that has a Audio Control RTA but so far I haven't found one close to me, so til then i will keep tinkering.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you guys think I should just send the lc6i back and get the ms8 since it makes the sound so much better than just a line out convertor?
Plus its a real processor too right?
Having the MS8 already, I'm a little biased. With the TSX, we're blessed with balanced line-level outputs from the HU (before the oem amp) so running the MS8 to me seems easier. Lastly, the front 2 channels from the OEM HU are full signals, the speakers have caps on them to cut the lower/higher signals (in lieu of crossovers). So no summing required. One change to be aware of with the MS8 is that the navi voice now cuts off the music entirely and is output to all speakers (instead of just to the fronts)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also have an MS8 and am also biased towards it.
The MS8 is amazing for someone who wants to “set it and forget it”.
I have an RTA program on my laptop and a calibrated microphone so I can tune and time align without the auto features but it’s a hell of a lot more work!
But if you aren’t looking to compete in car audio and just want a relatively inexpensive solution to start building a system the MS8 really can’t be beat.

Are you planning on running all of your speakers full range and using the passive crossovers on the components set?
Also how are you planning on running 3 sets of speakers on a 4 channel amp? Using deck power for one of the pairs?
Do you plan on adding another amp and sub later?

Just trying to get as much info as possible to help give you the best advice for your system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do all of you guys have the ms8 wired before the oem amp?
Or are you guys using the speaker levels?

And I thought the ms8 did all the tuning (timing) stuff automatically...

I want to use the crossovers that come with the components and run passive.

And I dont think im going to put in the rear door speakers at all(if i go with the lc6i) anymore since i would've just ran my full range signal to the rear 6x9's using the 4 channel amp.
But if i do go with a ms8, i can just run them off of the ms8.

No amp/sub set up will ever be put in....im not a fan of crazy bass; i prefer clear mids/highs and thumping bass, not BOOMING bass.
lol

p.s. i don't mind spending the money as long as it makes a big difference compared to the lc6i...I kinda want more midbass so I'm hoping the ms8 processing will give me it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having the MS8 already, I'm a little biased. With the TSX, we're blessed with balanced line-level outputs from the HU (before the oem amp) so running the MS8 to me seems easier. Lastly, the front 2 channels from the OEM HU are full signals, the speakers have caps on them to cut the lower/higher signals (in lieu of crossovers). So no summing required. One change to be aware of with the MS8 is that the navi voice now cuts off the music entirely and is output to all speakers (instead of just to the fronts)
So would i not even use the left and right rear channels at all from the HU after i cut off the connector that goes into the factory amp?
that seems odd....Could you please explain how the front 2 channels would give me the bass since the lows only go to the rear?
sorry

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The front is full range. You can get everything you need from the front two. Because of the ms8 summing ability it's all it needs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts