Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just got a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to in the owner's manual.

Is it possible to make it so that the dimmer does not automatically come on the rear view mirror upon starting your vehicle? I have tinted windows and dimmer does not do much for me so I'd like to disable it but haven't found a way to do it. I hate seeing that little green light on the rear view mirror and have to shut it off manually each time I drive the car.

I know it's no big deal but just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Ashyne said:
Hello everyone,

Just got a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to in the owner's manual.

Is it possible to make it so that the dimmer does not automatically come on the rear view mirror upon starting your vehicle? I have tinted windows and dimmer does not do much for me so I'd like to disable it but haven't found a way to do it. I hate seeing that little green light on the rear view mirror and have to shut it off manually each time I drive the car.

I know it's no big deal but just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks
I dont think so, i tried to do the same thing. My next suggestion would be to see if there's a fuse just for the rear view mirror (i doubt it though), but its worth a try.

I'm about to just switch out to an aftermarket mirror anyways, like those broadway ones. besides, i hear it adds 5HP at the crank. :thumbsup:

G

·
actually, sorry to hi-jack this thread, but i'm a new tsx owner and i was wondering if someone could direct me to a link (or offer an explanation, should they have the time) explaining how an auto-dimming mirror works? just curious, tks.

ws

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a sensor in your car that detects the light coming from behind, so if you could find it, and place a strip of black tape over it, that should solve the problem. I am speaking for the general case. And there is a possibility that the sensor is somewhere in the mirror, but that's not very likely. Again, I don't have TSX so I can't speak for it. How it works is that the sensor compares the light coming from behind to the ambient light, if it notices a large difference between the two, it triggers some "material" in the mirror to make it reflect less light. The material is electrically trigger, it's similar to LCD. In some of the luxury cars such as Aston Martin the entire side windows are made of such material, so to tint your windows only require a push of bottons....(hmm, I want that feature on TSX in year 20NN, N is a variable) :D

G

·
thanks for the explanation, yofoofoo...i know it's available on most luxury cars these days but i still think the auto-dimming mirror is a very cool bit of bit of technology.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Usually those high tech features appear on luxury cars first, then after a while people start to realize that they are very useful so they start to appear on mainstream cars. Electronic Stability is just an example after people did some research on it and found it does save lives. So yes, I believe some of the high tech stuff on lux. cars today will appear in 20-30k cars a couple of year later, there should be more to come, but never all of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.