Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up am looking into getting a TSX. Am a previous owner of a RSX-S and i was involved in a accident and it was totaled...not my fault though. I am wondering whether to get the TSX in manual or auto. Please help me out... I remember stick being a pain in the butt when i was in traffic...first...nutral...but i dont know the fun factor kind of balanced it out. What do you guys think is a better choice for the TSX.

·
Registered
21 Posts
dude, get the manual. The manual in the TSX is so much smoother than in the RSX Type S, no notchiness at all.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
you sounded like the kind that would like MT better than AT

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
I prefer manual over automatic, but I chose automatic. I was tired of driving the manual in traffic day after day after day. Also the TSX sportshift automatic works well and still allows me to downshift to the precise gear whenever I need it. Then when you get tired of it, just throw it in D and let it shift yourself, whenever you have a phone call or coffee etc. I don't miss the manual at all anymore.

I've had 3 automatic cars and 3 manual cars. Usually when driving the automatic cars, I always want to drive a manual and miss it very much, but not with the TSX.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You need to decide what's more important for you...

AT: no shifting
MT: more performance

Sportshift is more or less a gimmick... it doesn't make the car accelerate any faster than just leaving it "D".

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
sjlee said:
Sportshift is more or less a gimmick... it doesn't make the car accelerate any faster than just leaving it "D".
You are absolutely wrong there. You can hold a gear at higher rpm's until you are ready to shift. You can downshift into 2nd as you go into a turn instead of being in 3rd, and having it downshift to 2nd as you accelerate out of the turn. Its alot better than most people might think. It's just like driving a manual without the clutch IMO. Since I have driven both automatic and manual cars, I think I have some credability here.

It doesn't make the car accelerate faster, but it doesn't make you wait that second where the computer is thinking/searching for the correct gear...so in that sense, it DOES make you get there faster.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I think PK's posts are a good guide.

It has seemed that virtually everybody who has gotten the 6MT has been thrilled (truly close to unanimous), and a fair number of people who've gotten the 5AT have wished they'd gotten the other.

If you have even half a mind to get the MT, you probably should -- keeping in mind the caveats that PK mentioned. And yes, I agree that the sportshift really is a valuable and substantial thing. I also think there's somewhat of a point to what SJLee said, but I think it's misleading to put it that way. I know what he means and he's sort of right, but it's unfair to call it a gimmick.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
my choice was the manual transmission. my wife also likes the car but would prefe r automatic. If the car had an at she would be driving it..(she even said so) and I would be driving the jeep..therefore i got the manual.... she still drives it, just that i drive it more :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sjlee said:
.....Sportshift is more or less a gimmick... it doesn't make the car accelerate any faster than just leaving it "D".
SJ has gotten a little flak about this already, and I imagine he'll be getting some more.

As an addendum to what I said above, I found some interesting observations about the SS by Neuronbob, a moderator at a-tsx.com and a-tl.com, who owns a TL and knows the TSX very well, too; also he seems to really know cars in general.
His comments on the TSX sportshift are worth quoting here (hope Neuronbob won't mind):

"The star of the show in this drivetrain is the sport shifter. As you may know, the TL's SS won't let you shift from 1st to 2nd. The TSX's will. This dramatically changes the driving experience. This is the first manumatic shifter I can use similarly to a manual, and in fact for much of my time with the car I used that rather than the regular automatic. It also shifts faster than the TL's SS. I don't even bother to use the SS on the TL; if I had a TSX, I wouldn't bother to use the regular automatic."

·
Silver Streak
120 Posts
larchmont said:
I don't even bother to use the SS on the TL; if I had a TSX, I wouldn't bother to use the regular automatic."[/i]
Larch,

That begs the question. Why even get the auto at all if you're not going to use it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
johnny420 said:
Larch,

That begs the question. Why even get the auto at all if you're not going to use it?
Great question -- and actually it has a good answer!

First of all....let's remind everyone that it wasn't really me who said that. I was quoting what Neuronbob said (on another site).

He owns a TL, and had the TSX as a loaner while his TL was in the shop. Mainly he was just making the point of how great the sportshift on the TSX is.

But also he talked about how maybe his wife would be getting a TSX, and I guess she needs an automatic, and he mentioned about how maybe sometimes on any given day he might pick the TSX rather than his TL.
Couldn't tell how much he was kidding about that part.

What the hey.....here's a link to Neuronbob's thread:

http://www.*************/forums/showthread.php?t=13771

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Which one is more prone to wear and tear ? more prone to "problems" ?

I'd say MT --- I mean tell me you never have had a "Grrrrrzzzz" on shifting.
And I thought every "Grrrrrzzzz" cuts down the life ?

·
Registered
954 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
Which one is more prone to wear and tear ? more prone to "problems" ?

I'd say MT --- I mean tell me you never have had a "Grrrrrzzzz" on shifting.
And I thought every "Grrrrrzzzz" cuts down the life ?
The grinding you're hearing is the synchros... not the tranny.

A tranny's life will get shortened if it gets abused... no matter if it's an automatic or a manual. I know people who've had problems with the automatics in 5 years, while others who've had the original clutch and tranny on a car for over 10 years.

·
Registered
954 Posts
pocketkiller said:
You are absolutely wrong there. You can hold a gear at higher rpm's until you are ready to shift. You can downshift into 2nd as you go into a turn instead of being in 3rd, and having it downshift to 2nd as you accelerate out of the turn. Its alot better than most people might think. It's just like driving a manual without the clutch IMO. Since I have driven both automatic and manual cars, I think I have some credability here.

It doesn't make the car accelerate faster, but it doesn't make you wait that second where the computer is thinking/searching for the correct gear...so in that sense, it DOES make you get there faster.
First you say I'm "absolutely wrong", then you go on (in the second paragraph) and basically repeat what I say... I guess I'm not really "absolutely wrong". :)

In any case, you're right about being able to downshift the car with SS going into/coming out of turns. I probably shouldn't have used the term "gimmick", at least not in that context, but I think what many owners fail to realize is that no matter if you're using SS or just in "D", the engine and tranny are the same... and if you put the car on a dyno the max HP will be the same.

By the way, I too have also driven both automatics (with SS) and own a car with MT... there are more differences than simply the clutch.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also prefer the Auto over the manual, I mean why would you want a manual considering the Euro/TSX has sports/sequential shift? It can drive as a manual or an Auto without the worry of a clutch, so for me it was a no brainer! The sports mode is fun too :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
pocketkiller said:
I prefer manual over automatic, but I chose automatic. I was tired of driving the manual in traffic day after day after day. Also the TSX sportshift automatic works well and still allows me to downshift to the precise gear whenever I need it. Then when you get tired of it, just throw it in D and let it shift yourself, whenever you have a phone call or coffee etc. I don't miss the manual at all anymore.

I've had 3 automatic cars and 3 manual cars. Usually when driving the automatic cars, I always want to drive a manual and miss it very much, but not with the TSX.
My sentiments exactly...well said!

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
sjlee said:
First you say I'm "absolutely wrong", then you go on (in the second paragraph) and basically repeat what I say... I guess I'm not really "absolutely wrong". :)

In any case, you're right about being able to downshift the car with SS going into/coming out of turns. I probably shouldn't have used the term "gimmick", at least not in that context, but I think what many owners fail to realize is that no matter if you're using SS or just in "D", the engine and tranny are the same... and if you put the car on a dyno the max HP will be the same.

By the way, I too have also driven both automatics (with SS) and own a car with MT... there are more differences than simply the clutch.
Well I can't disagree with you there. There is going to be some drivetrain losses with the automatic tranny (more loss than the manual). Agreed again that "gimmick" is not the best word, as there are very real benefits from using SS. Some of us are not so concerned that the max HP may be a little bit less, but are more concerned with the real world application. I personally had a 65 mile commute, then moved and now commute 45 miles to work every single day. I was driving a manual Z3 but just couldn't do it anymore. The SS brought the convenience of the auto, but also some fun with the SS. I also take long trips (ie VEGAS baby) with my girlfriend who cannot drive manual, so it again was a good fit. As for auto owners regretting their decision, I don't. I'm very happy with it, but if I do by chance get a 2nd car again, it will be manual.

You have to admit that the SS does change the driving experience, and that's what its all about in the end.

How do you view SMG? What about the MB 7 speed auto in the new SLK350 that is actually 0.1 seconds FASTER than the manual (0-60)? What about MPG gains from the auto vs manual?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
pocketkiller said:
Well I can't disagree with you there. There is going to be some drivetrain losses with the automatic tranny (more loss than the manual). Agreed again that "gimmick" is not the best word, as there are very real benefits from using SS. Some of us are not so concerned that the max HP may be a little bit less, but are more concerned with the real world application. I personally had a 65 mile commute, then moved and now commute 45 miles to work every single day. I was driving a manual Z3 but just couldn't do it anymore. The SS brought the convenience of the auto, but also some fun with the SS. I also take long trips (ie VEGAS baby) with my girlfriend who cannot drive manual, so it again was a good fit. As for auto owners regretting their decision, I don't. I'm very happy with it, but if I do by chance get a 2nd car again, it will be manual.

You have to admit that the SS does change the driving experience, and that's what its all about in the end.

How do you view SMG? What about the MB 7 speed auto in the new SLK350 that is actually 0.1 seconds FASTER than the manual? What about MPG gains from the auto vs manual?
Well said once again...it is funny that the auto get better gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts