Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please excuse me if this is a redundant topic. i tried using the search feature and no matter how i searched it always came back with 500 results, mostly irrelevant.

i've got a 06 tsx with auto trans. 80k miles. a couple of days ago, i got home from a long drive, and i couldn't put the car into park. the shifter would kind of bind up right before going into park. the tranny actually is in park, it just doesn't know it. the reason i say this, is because it's not in reverse, so it must be in park. since i couldn't full engage the tranny into park, i couldn't remove the key. i left it in the ignition overnight, and it drained the battery.

anyway, i've already tried turning the steering wheel, this way and that. i've pushed the brake pedal, etc etc, so please do not offer those as suggestions. it seems that the shift lock selenoid is dirty, or out of adjustment. has anyone ever had this problem?

i've some reports that it's fixable by cleaning the contacts and applying some new dielectic grease. i've removed the center console and discovered that i really don't know what i'm looking for. (big surprise!)

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
I think there was a thread where something was accidentally lodged into the shifter mechanism preventing the shifter from going all the way up into P(ark). Try to check for any obstructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there was a thread where something was accidentally lodged into the shifter mechanism preventing the shifter from going all the way up into P(ark). Try to check for any obstructions.
good idea, thanks. i know there's not any obstructions in the center console area, but i haven't checked down below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this suggestion may be irrelevant, but try using a second key and insert it into this slot and see if that helps hacking the shift knob into (P)ark. be sure to use the Black key, and NOT the grey

thanks for the suggestion about trying to insert another key. i've tried it, and it still won't allow it to completely go into park. without using the key slot next to the "P", i'm not able to get past neutral.

fyi... it doesn't matter what you use to push thru the key hole next to the "P". a screwdriver, hairpin, etc. it's just an access hole that allows you to press down on a nylon platform that releases pressure on the shift mechanism. once the center console is off, u can push it down with your finger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved. Took it to the local Honda dealer, and they thought it was probably the brake switch, but I was skeptical. Turns out a "clip" in the linkage was damaged, and it was causing some kind of obstruction. Yep, obstruction just like someone guessed earlier. Good call!

It cost me 100 bucks. I was expecting a lot worse, so I was somewhat pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one final note about my trip to "the dealer".

it only cost me 100 bucks to resolve my shifter problem, but they found a leak in my power steering unit. they provided me with an estimate for it's repair. $1848. yikes. i thought i was at a honda dealership, not a maybach dealer.

·
wine em, dine em, cl9 em
940 Posts
ouch on the ps leak. have you had the ps hose recall completed? blame it on that if not LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, cdigg. i just bought the car recently and was unaware of any PS recall. i'll definitely be giving that a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts