Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site.
Have a '10 automatic. Some questions/complaint and hope I can get some insight. This is my wife's daily driver so I don't get it very often. But when I do get to drive it, the transmission shifting programming drives me crazy.
Example: From a stop turning left with traffic up a slight hill. Was poking along at 20-25 mph and it was already in 4th gear. Had to accelerate and it kicked down to 2nd, then that was too much and had to back off. Also when you are rolling slowly at 20 MPH or so and stick it to the floor it won't go back down and get 1st, it just hopes you'll be happy with 2nd. I love to paddle shift in sport mode but that is not practical in city driving.
I asked the dealer if they ever issue updates for the ECU and got "the look" and was told no. I understand Acura programs it this way to get better mileage numbers.
Anyone else notice this and if so has there been a way to get it to respond a bit more agressively?

Thank you!

·
-
1,695 Posts
New to this site.
Have a '10 automatic. Some questions/complaint and hope I can get some insight. This is my wife's daily driver so I don't get it very often. But when I do get to drive it, the transmission shifting programming drives me crazy.
Example: From a stop turning left with traffic up a slight hill. Was poking along at 20-25 mph and it was already in 4th gear. Had to accelerate and it kicked down to 2nd, then that was too much and had to back off. Also when you are rolling slowly at 20 MPH or so and stick it to the floor it won't go back down and get 1st, it just hopes you'll be happy with 2nd. I love to paddle shift in sport mode but that is not practical in city driving.
I asked the dealer if they ever issue updates for the ECU and got "the look" and was told no. I understand Acura programs it this way to get better mileage numbers.
Anyone else notice this and if so has there been a way to get it to respond a bit more agressively?

Thank you!

Nearly every modern automatic transmission works exactly as yours. It's programmed for maximum fuel mileage which means to keep the engine rpm's as low as possible.
That's why it will shift into 4th gear at such low speeds.

Of course this excessive gear changing is not even good for the transmission.
Yet another reason why automatic transmissions are so lame.

The answer is to drive it in manual or sport mode. Then you control when it shifts & you reduce the number of gear changes the transmission makes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately that is what I figured.
This is my wifes car. My daily driver is an '03 Accord I4 w/5speed manual. It is great to be able to keep the engine rpm up in the usable range so you don't have to wait for the transmission to read your mind.
I do use the paddle shifters on the TSX and enjoy. At that point though might as well have a manual. Which if it was my choice I probably would have gone for.

Thanks again for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts