Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m back to looking for a first gen. Got to test drive a couple manuals the other day and yes, they are everything everyone says they are. Super fun to drive and way more power and responsiveness than the automatics. The problem is idk if I would like to be having to shift all the time. I like to relax and chill when I drive more often than not.
My question is, how much faster and how much more responsive can you get the automatics to be by modding them? If I could get a automatic to be decently fast By doing somewhat basic mods then I would be happy with that. I’m looking for more acceleration speed rather then top speed.

any feedback?

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the engines having the same power it takes someone really skilled at driving to beat the automatic on acceleration. If you are not skilled you will wear your clutch prematurely. The manual offers the potential for better acceleration as well as saving gas. Tsx automatics have a manual shifting option that combined with turning the vsa (vehicle stability assist) off can give improved acceleration runs. As for as transmission mods, those are not advisable at these price ranges. Automatic transmission work is difficult and expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the engines having the same power it takes someone really skilled at driving to beat the automatic on acceleration. If you are not skilled you will wear your clutch prematurely. The manual offers the potential for better acceleration as well as saving gas. Tsx automatics have a manual shifting option that combined with turning the vsa (vehicle stability assist) off can give improved acceleration runs. As for as transmission mods, those are not advisable at these price ranges. Automatic transmission work is difficult and expensive.
Are the automatics really that quick? They seemed kinda slow to me. Or maybe I just wasn’t giving it much power cuz I was test driving someone else’s car lol. Maybe I’ll test another one and see. So wat kind of mods would I need to do to both a automatic and manual to improve performance?

·
-
1,585 Posts
Lol.. if you think an automatic TSX is faster than a manual trans TSX, you haven't driven both.

The difference is dramatic. Plus the auto trans weighs more than the manual trans, which is weight on the nose of the car.
This discussion has come up a ton of times since the TSX was introduced in 2004.
If I recall, the stock auto trans TSX was a 1/2 second slower than the manual trans TSX, 0-60mph.
That is a huge difference.

If you have any sporting or performance aspirations at all, be patient and wait until you find the right manual trans TSX.
Even if you find a mint auto trans TSX for a super low price, really consider the performance difference before you buy it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol.. if you think an automatic TSX is faster than a manual trans TSX, you haven't driven both.

The difference is dramatic. Plus the auto trans weighs more than the manual trans, which is weight on the nose of the car.
This discussion has come up a ton of times since the TSX was introduced in 2004.
If I recall, the stock auto trans TSX was a 1/2 second slower than the manual trans TSX, 0-60mph.
That is a huge difference.

If you have any sporting or performance aspirations at all, be patient and wait until you find the right manual trans TSX.
Even if you find a mint auto trans TSX for a super low price, really consider the performance difference before you buy it.
Yes I know what your talking about. I have driven both automatic and manual. I was supposed to go check out a 06 manual TSX with 126k miles today but the guy isn’t responding now. The only problem I know about is paint is starting to fade. It’s melano red. But if everything else is good I’m pretty sure I’m going to get it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Read posts carefully, never said the automatic was faster. I said it takes a skilled driver to get that earth shaking .5 second advantage out of the manual trans.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Read posts carefully, never said the automatic was faster. I said it takes a skilled driver to get that earth shaking .5 second advantage out of the manual trans.
This is true. And an auto trans, even from this generation and not the current gen 10-speed autos that are very impressive, will have better acceleration from a dead start, too, if that's your thing, thanks to the torque multiplier aspect of the torque converter. Gaining that 0.5 seconds back before reaching 60 mph needs some clutch abuse.

What makes the 6M feel faster in the 1G TSX is the fact that from the factory, the engine has peak torque at 4500 RPM, VTEC engagement at around 6000 RPM (plus you have to be WOT), and max horsepower at 7000 RPM. But the five-speed auto transmission, in full auto mode and under normal driving conditions, will always seek to drop revs and cruise around at 3000 RPM or lower.

To have that sporty, responsive throttle feel of the TSX you need to be around 4000 RPM, and unless you use Manual Mode in the auto you're pretty much never going to be there except for a few seconds here and there.

And if you're thinking "fine, so I'll use Manual Mode when I want the fun and just putter around in 5A mode to save gas and physical/mental energy", OK, but realistically (and I speak from long experience with a 2008 Acura MDX), once you get used to "mostly" driving around in Full Auto you very rarely go Automanual, except when you suddenly think "I want to pass this guy", and then you're not really getting that much difference out of the car than if you'd just left it in full Auto anyway, and just flooring the gas pedal when you want to pass.

And even then, with the AT you have FIVE not SIX gears. The gearing ratio on the 6M for this car keeps the engine above 4500 if you upshift near redline - around 5500, if I recall correctly (which also means with one of the popular ECU tunes that you stay in VTEC). I would assume that's not true with the auto (I don't know).

Does that actually get you 0.5 seconds off of a 0-60 time at the track? Probably not, because unless you were dumping the clutch and whatnot, you're probably losing time to the auto on takeoff from a dead stop and then catching up and passing it at higher speeds (depending on your shifting skills).

But a faster 0-60 is not the point here. The point is, while you're driving it, you're having more fun because the car feels more responsive. That's really the only reason to get a manual over an auto transmission any more.

If you are looking for a "relaxed" feeling of driving most of the time, get the auto and don't worry about "performance". And I believe you can get some performance back with an ECU tune to lower the VTEC point to be more friendly with the shifting points of the 5-speed auto?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are the automatics really that quick? They seemed kinda slow to me. Or maybe I just wasn’t giving it much power cuz I was test driving someone else’s car lol. Maybe I’ll test another one and see. So wat kind of mods would I need to do to both a automatic and manual to improve performance?
Bingo. The auto will actually be faster coming out of a red light due to torque multiplication (with the manual, unless you dump the clutch, you'll feel like you're kind of coasting from 0-5 mph); but once you're under way, the manual will feel faster because you'll probably naturally only upshift when you reach and pass peak torque at 4500 RPM (at least while "feeling out the engine", LOL), while the auto will almost certainly have shifted before then - and to a lower RPM on the next gear, as the ratios are further apart on the 5-speed auto than the 6-speed manual.

To feel the power on the auto you'd have to floor it to tell the AT to stay in gear, or use automanual (did you?).

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I’m back to looking for a first gen. Got to test drive a couple manuals the other day and yes, they are everything everyone says they are. Super fun to drive and way more power and responsiveness than the automatics. The problem is idk if I would like to be having to shift all the time. I like to relax and chill when I drive more often than not.
My question is, how much faster and how much more responsive can you get the automatics to be by modding them? If I could get a automatic to be decently fast By doing somewhat basic mods then I would be happy with that. I’m looking for more acceleration speed rather then top speed.

any feedback?
I have owned them both. I bought a manual with the tech package first week they came out with the 2004 model. It was my wife’s car and we put 135,000 miles on it in the eleven years we owned it. Sold it in 2015 because we needed an AWD vehicle after we moved to snow country and bought an Audi A5 Quattro 2.0 Manual. The TSX was bulletproof. I changed the oil every 5000 miles, changed the brake pads, changed the spark plugs, and put a new drive belt and tensioner and of course three sets of tires. When I sold it, it still had the original clutch. I never drove it like a teenage idiot and it served us well. It never used more than a 1/2 quart of oil between changes. It was a great car and my spousal unit never forgave me for selling it. That said, the Audi A5 has also been a fantastic car, but with the turbo, It’s much faster than the TSX and gets better gas mileage, but it’s a lot more complicated.

So recently we decided to buy a run around car to keep at our house in Florida so when we fly there we won’t have to rent a car. I found a 2007 TSX at a Subaru dealer near our home in Oregon. It had 106000 miles on the clock andn God forbid an automatic. It had a perfect service record with an Acura dealer in Portland. Most of the TSXs that I had found had high miles and looked like they had been ridden hard and put away wet. So I bought it, put new tires and fresh oil and filters on it and drove it 3000 miles to Jacksonville. I gotta say that it was like hanging out with an old friend and there were only a few times that I missed the six speed. If I were driving this car everyday on twisty mountain roads, I would definitely want the manual. But driving cross county on the interstate, or around the city streets of Jacksonville, I really appreciate the automatic.

BTW, I have a 2014 Audi A5 Quattro premium plus manual for sale. 63k miles.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Agree that automatic in a TSX will be a much more comfortable ride and is more plentiful to find. However, comparing stock power figures, a manual transmission will give you +10-15 horsepower and torque to the wheels compared to an automatic. Adding intake, header and reflash to an auto will get you roughly around the same power figures as a stock manual.

Bottom line is if you value comfort more, get the auto. But if you value performance, then the manual is the one to get.

Here’s a good link that gives you an idea of the power differences between a manual and auto TSX

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have owned them both. I bought a manual with the tech package first week they came out with the 2004 model. It was my wife’s car and we put 135,000 miles on it in the eleven years we owned it...

So recently we decided to buy a run around car to keep at our house in Florida so when we fly there we won’t have to rent a car. I found a 2007 TSX at a Subaru dealer near our home in Oregon. It had 106000 miles on the clock and God forbid an automatic. ...

I gotta say that it was like hanging out with an old friend and there were only a few times that I missed the six speed. If I were driving this car everyday on twisty mountain roads, I would definitely want the manual. But driving cross county on the interstate, or around the city streets of Jacksonville, I really appreciate the automatic

This is good, a head to head comparison from someone who's spent a long time in both (not just a quick test drive), albeit separated by a space of many years and also comparing an 04 to an 07 (the later refresh having a few upgrades).

Have you used the "auto-manual" SportShift feature? How does the gearing feel - does using it feel approximately like a manual would in "spirited" driving?

If I look at the spec sheet, the 5A tranmission has a 1.08:1 ratio in third gear and 0.77:1 ratio in 4th gear, so 4th gear is already cruising (5th gear is 0.57:1, definitely "overdrive" territory). That reads like a pretty big gap between 3rd and 4th gear - it seems to me if you did go "SportShift" for a twisty section of road you'd spend a lot of time in 3rd gear, pretty much all of it? (Like you might as well go to "D3"?)

By comparison, with the 6M fourth gear is 1.028:1 (still pullin'!) and fifth gear is 0.825:1, while sixth gear is 0.659:1. So for highway cruising for long distances at "70" MPH (cough), the auto will be more efficient.

Oh, and as for the Audi A5 Quattro - they've stopped making Audis with manuals, right? How has the reliability been on that thing? By repute, Audi/VWs are great cars to drive, but not to maintain after say 4 or so years, unlike these Honda/Acura cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Agree that automatic in a TSX will be a much more comfortable ride and is more plentiful to find. However, comparing stock power figures, a manual transmission will give you +10-15 horsepower and torque to the wheels compared to an automatic. Adding intake, header and reflash to an auto will get you roughly around the same power figures as a stock manual.

Bottom line is if you value comfort more, get the auto. But if you value performance, then the manual is the one to get.

Here’s a good link that gives you an idea of the power differences between a manual and auto TSX

Not disputing the hondata graphs, which are very objective... But, "if you value performance" as in engine power and acceleration has to be put into the context of a daily driver.

A 10-15 HP difference, even "to the wheels", for a 3400 lb. car that you need to rev to (well) over 5000 RPM to see that difference, is not the kind of "performance difference" you'll see very often, unless you track the car.

That said, I did go out of my way to get the 6M myself. But that's because I wanted the fun. Not because I was looking to squeeze down 0.1 seconds of time off of my highway on-ramp merge, LOL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussions about acceleration differences between manuals and automatics are largely subjective. I love my auto Tsx just as much as I loved my stick Integra before it. Acceleration is a relative subject with both since neither are exceedingly quick for their respective eras. Fast but not among the fastest. Having driven everything from a Dodge Shelby Charger GLHS the early 90’s to a Mercedes Amg E63s last year gives some perspective. The differences we are talking about here are minute and barely measurable. Nevertheless, occasionally shutting off the VSA ,power braking the start, and firing off a series of manual shifts still feels rewarding.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No arguments there. When I say "performance difference", I'm also referring to the fun factor that the 6MT brings to the platform. As you're well aware, the TSX has a superb manual gearbox and the engine is very fun to rev out especially when you add a light weight pulley and lightweight flywheel. Tack that with the pure satisfaction of executing a perfect heel and toe, makes it a very special car. None of this fun is even possible with the automatic version.

When I was looking for a replacement for the TSX, I couldn't really find a modern sedan/hatchback that checked all of the boxes that the 6MT TSX provided. The only ones that I really liked were the Civic Si, Type R, Veloster Turbo (didn't get a chance to drive the Veloster N). While all of those cars completely annihilate the TSX in performance, there were other compromises like interior quality and outlandish styling that I thought the TSX does better.

Personally, if the op only wanted a sporty luxury sedan with an automatic transmission, I would cross shop with IS300, IS250, IS350, G35, G37, and TL (3rd gen). All of those have more power off the line than the TSX and RWD is a lot of fun. But they each have their own advantages/disadvantages.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all.
I don't usually post but I felt the need to comment here because I love my 6 MT! I like older cars (2000-2010) and the TSX is just a fun car to own. I can't comment on AT because all of my cars have been manuels and the TSX just does what I need it to do. I will also add that I went with the Exedy stage 1 clutch and like many of you here, I think the flywheel is too light. Other than that, I love this car for zipping around town, or traveling. I don't travel alot but when I do it's a 10 hour drive. The TSX is handy because the seats fold down which allows me to take my bike with me when I travel. Even with a full load I can downshift and pass anybody I need to on the highway. I apologize if this is off topic and/or in the wrong location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned them both. I bought a manual with the tech package first week they came out with the 2004 model. It was my wife’s car and we put 135,000 miles on it in the eleven years we owned it. Sold it in 2015 because we needed an AWD vehicle after we moved to snow country and bought an Audi A5 Quattro 2.0 Manual. The TSX was bulletproof. I changed the oil every 5000 miles, changed the brake pads, changed the spark plugs, and put a new drive belt and tensioner and of course three sets of tires. When I sold it, it still had the original clutch. I never drove it like a teenage idiot and it served us well. It never used more than a 1/2 quart of oil between changes. It was a great car and my spousal unit never forgave me for selling it. That said, the Audi A5 has also been a fantastic car, but with the turbo, It’s much faster than the TSX and gets better gas mileage, but it’s a lot more complicated.

So recently we decided to buy a run around car to keep at our house in Florida so when we fly there we won’t have to rent a car. I found a 2007 TSX at a Subaru dealer near our home in Oregon. It had 106000 miles on the clock andn God forbid an automatic. It had a perfect service record with an Acura dealer in Portland. Most of the TSXs that I had found had high miles and looked like they had been ridden hard and put away wet. So I bought it, put new tires and fresh oil and filters on it and drove it 3000 miles to Jacksonville. I gotta say that it was like hanging out with an old friend and there were only a few times that I missed the six speed. If I were driving this car everyday on twisty mountain roads, I would definitely want the manual. But driving cross county on the interstate, or around the city streets of Jacksonville, I really appreciate the automatic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really LOVE this conversation. I have a 2012 TSX SE with the 6 Speed manual and enjoy it very much and would hate to part with it but for work I need a different vehicle. I will probably kick myself later for letting it go. I did some research and you can't readily find many manual transmission TSX. How would you go about advertising it to a group like this? The right person would already know about this car so I think this could be a group to give me advice or talk me back from the ledge. I have the luxury of time so am in no hurry to change...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello all.
I went with the Exedy stage 1 clutch and like many of you here, I think the flywheel is too light.
I personally haven't driven a car with the Exedy's 8.9 lb flywheel, but I can see why it's too light for a daily. Too bad there aren't any flywheels for us at around 13 lb. That would be perfect for a daily and the occasional redline pull. The CC one comes in close at 11.5 lb.

I have a 2012 TSX SE with the 6 Speed manual and enjoy it very much and would hate to part with it but for work I need a different vehicle. I will probably kick myself later for letting it go. I did some research and you can't readily find many manual transmission TSX.
Nice, that's a good car combo you have there. Don't see too many 2nd gens with the 6MT. I had the similar struggles, but ultimately you just have to test drive a bunch of cars to find out if you still want to keep it. After test driving a bunch of cars myself, I couldn't find myself selling the TSX just yet, but you'll have to come to your own conclusion with that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts