Acura TSX Forum banner

661 - 680 of 701 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Running the wire through

Hey guys,

Just checking if this thread is still alive. I recently bought an '07 TSX and would really like to install a backup camera on it.

I went through this thread and may have missed it or glanced over it, but I wanted to know if I have to run the video cable from the back to the front/navigation unit? From what I can tell, I think I need to do that. But what's the best way to run the cable without being visible to getting in the way?

Thank you all for the great write up!

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,287 Posts
Hey guys,

Just checking if this thread is still alive. I recently bought an '07 TSX and would really like to install a backup camera on it.

I went through this thread and may have missed it or glanced over it, but I wanted to know if I have to run the video cable from the back to the front/navigation unit? From what I can tell, I think I need to do that. But what's the best way to run the cable without being visible to getting in the way?

Thank you all for the great write up!
No. The camera plugs into navigation DVD unit in the trunk. You'll need an adapter made for it. Not too bad if you know how to solder though. I love my backup camera. I ran mine from the license plate through the trunk cover as much as I could then I ran it along the curved hinges to plug into the nav unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. The camera plugs into navigation DVD unit in the trunk. You'll need an adapter made for it. Not too bad if you know how to solder though. I love my backup camera. I ran mine from the license plate through the trunk cover as much as I could then I ran it along the curved hinges to plug into the nav unit.
Thanks for the quick reply. I've purchased a harness off eBay (I do know how to solder - I'm an electrical engineer actually :nerd: but I gave away all my soldering kit, wires, etc. when I moved for work).

So this doesn't require any removal of the front navigation unit at all?
I apologize for the stupid questions but I haven't even looked at the rear navigation unit. I guess I just assumed it was the front of the navigation unit and that takes a little more effort to reach. This makes it so much easier!

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,287 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I've purchased a harness off eBay (I do know how to solder - I'm an electrical engineer actually :nerd: but I gave away all my soldering kit, wires, etc. when I moved for work).

So this doesn't require any removal of the front navigation unit at all?
I apologize for the stupid questions but I haven't even looked at the rear navigation unit. I guess I just assumed it was the front of the navigation unit and that takes a little more effort to reach. This makes it so much easier!
Aw man you gotta keep that stuff around! You never know when you're gonna need to solder somethin haha. I also thought it needed to go in the front initially. It goes in the trunk for sure. Apparently, we share the same nav/DVD unit as the MDX, which has a factory camera. Hence why that port is back there, fortunately for us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aw man you gotta keep that stuff around! You never know when you're gonna need to solder somethin haha. I also thought it needed to go in the front initially. It goes in the trunk for sure. Apparently, we share the same nav/DVD unit as the MDX, which has a factory camera. Hence why that port is back there, fortunately for us.
Yeah. That makes us very lucky indeed. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone have advice about which side of the license plate to install the camera on? Do you find that the passenger side or driver's side of the plate is more centered for your camera's image? Or is it just a foot difference so it really doesn't matter?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I installed mine on the passenger side of the license plate because that is more of a blindside for me. When I look at the screen though I can't tell any difference as the image looks centered when I look at the edges for people coming from the sides. And when I look directly at the center the image looks centered so it doesn't appear to seem like it makes a difference to me of where you install it. If I had to do it again I would still install it on the passenger side still just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed mines and I'm kind of disappointed. I can back up to where I see no gaps between my car and someone elses, but when I go out to check, I have like a good foot and a half left of room to back up. Does anyone have a camera that angles low enough to see part of their bumper?

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,287 Posts
I just installed mines and I'm kind of disappointed. I can back up to where I see no gaps between my car and someone elses, but when I go out to check, I have like a good foot and a half left of room to back up. Does anyone have a camera that angles low enough to see part of their bumper?
Mine is. In order to get mine to (barely) see the bumper, I had to sacrifice not having the guidelines not parallel to curbs and parking spaces. I think it's worth it though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow. What a great thread!

I registered just to say thanks to everyone above who offered tips and so on, and especially to OP, if he/she still frequents the forum.

Thanks to this thread, I installed a backup camera in a nav-equipped '08 TSX today - easy process and worked pretty well. Except that the quick-splice connectors I used to tap the backup light power seem only work about 99% of the time. I may strip and solder those instead. :nerd:

I ended up with this backup camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMC8QXI/

And used one of these, which made the harness assembly a bit easier. (No soldering for the RCA connector. >:) )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DRQF5YE/

Thanks again!

·
Registered
169 Posts
After many many years, I finally got around to completing this mod. Such a nice addition to the car! Tip for anyone making their own harness: Be sure that the pins are pushed all he way to the end of the connector so that they make a good connection with the dvd unit jack. I had to push mine in a bit after getting a blank screen when in reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey fellow TSX owners... I know this was asked back when this thread was first published back in 07 (can the 05 model get this mod) and the short answer was no because the DVD Drive did not have the required port on it. This comes from me attempting to upgrade my DVD drive to the newer 06-08 model ( I have the 05 ) From what I can tell on eBay (sellers using the newer DVD drive to test/show the navi working on same 05 head unit) and other pictures is that the DVD drive in the 06-08 is plug and play with any of the Navi head units. Also the DVD drive in the 06 Accord was attempted by someone else on the forums with success. So I guess I wanted to know when I do get my DVD drive upgrade for my 05 then will this hack will as well or is there some other signal/wire/harness going to the head unit that I don't have on my 05 that the 06 does?

·
Registered
53 Posts
After many many years, I finally got around to completing this mod. Such a nice addition to the car! Tip for anyone making their own harness: Be sure that the pins are pushed all he way to the end of the connector so that they make a good connection with the dvd unit jack. I had to push mine in a bit after getting a blank screen when in reverse.

Hey Jottle would you mind making an extra plug I will pay for you?

·
Registered
53 Posts
WOuld anyone make one and sell it to me? I have all the parts to make it just failed at the first attempt and not trying it. Id pay for your time.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
$29:crying2:

Time to quit my day job and become a customer harness creator on a better side the plug seems more oem than the one created here, not to say the one here is bad.

Looking at that harness it looks like the ground had been moved from pin 2 to 4? is this confirmed working on tsx?

·
Registered
569 Posts
$29:crying2:

Time to quit my day job and become a customer harness creator on a better side the plug seems more oem than the one created here, not to say the one here is bad.

Looking at that harness it looks like the ground had been moved from pin 2 to 4? is this confirmed working on tsx?

Supply and demand.

Yep it works perfectly. I had asked the seller the same question and he actually got a little upset that I was willing to follow forum instructions over his lol. Said he was a tech at Honda and that he’d accept a return if it didn’t work.

I paid $25 for the camera and $25 for the harness. For $50 bucks I couldn’t ask for more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried searching this thread but didnt come up with good results. Did anyone ever track down which OEM harness we can use to hook up an OEM camera?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry for noob question, but can someone confirm that for an 08 TSX, the DVD player is in the trunk on the right side or something and the easiest way of getting to it? Thanks much!

661 - 680 of 701 Posts