Acura TSX Forum banner

701 - 709 of 709 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gotcha, I figured it out. I'll just post this incase anyone needs help. I just used T-Taps to splice into the brakelight. It's the wire above the coiled grey wire in my first picture at the top left. Cut a little into the plastic around it. Green is power, black is ground. Pretty easy install! I guess I over thought it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This DIY is for hooking up a DVD player or backup camera to you 2006+ TSX.

There is an empty port on the back of the DVD unit since the ’06 and ’07 TSX share the same DVD rom as other Acuras with a backup camera. This is where the input for the camera’s video signal plugs in.

Supplies needed for video input plug

8pin .100 KK housing with pins

Female RCA plug from Radio Shack
18 Ga speaker wire
Solder (optional)
Heat shrink or electrical tape

Please forgive the crappy pictures. I just got this new camera and haven’t mastered all its little functions.

Start off with the 8 pin plug.

Trim one pinout off to make it a 7 pin plug. There is a top and bottom of the plug. The bottom has slots that expose the pins.

Next cut about 1.5”- 2” of the wire and separate the positive and negative sides to get a single strand of wire. Strip down a small portion of each side and crimp pins the bare wire (solder if you would like). This makes the jumper part of the plug.

Cut about 12” of the speaker wire and strip both positive and negative ends. One end gets crimped or soldered to the female RCA (center is video, outside is the ground). Crimp or solder the small pins that came with the connector to the positive and negative wires on the other end.

At this point if you want to use heat shrink, slide it over the speaker wire. Insert one end of the jumper into slot 6 and the other into slot 7, and then insert ground into slot 2 and video into slot 5. Slots 1, 3 and 4 are left empty. The slots are numbered 1 through 7 looked and the end that doesn’t go into the DVD Rom.

This should be the finished product. It accepts the video signal from either a camera or DVD player.

To hook up a camera just mount the camera where you would like. I mounted mine here.

Run the wires into the trunk lid through one of the license plate light covers. Tap into one of the reverse lights for power. Then the video signal to the adapter we made earlier. If the wire from the camera is long enough to reach the adapter just plug it in. If not (like mine) I had to cut the male RCA off the camera and reattach a female RCA. The same kind used for the adapter. Then I ran a single RCA with male ends to connect the camera to the adapter.

That’s all that’s needed to hook up a backup camera to the TSX.

Later when I get a DVD player I’ll add to the DIY how to hook it up. Right now I don’t remember exactly which wire to tap into and don’t have time to look for it and get pictures. I’ll also add how to hook up the camera and a DVD player to the navi system with the use of a Bosch relay.
Excellent explanation, i just finished installing mine in my 06 auto, followed the steps and it works like a charm. i bought a cheapass $12.69 ebay camera that is made for the right side license plate light, see picture, i bought a connector kit with a bunch of different sizes $7.85 and put it all together and it sure works. thank you saving us the headache of figuring the simple process.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Info: 2008 Acura, TSX, Automatic, 2.4L, 117k miles

Hey Bro,

Hopefully we could keep this thread alive for the people who are still purchasing older TSX's...

I'd like to hook up a backup camera to my car and wanted to know if you succeeded with yours....which harness did you buy, and what do you think about this one from Ebay - will this work: 10Sets JST XH2.54 XH 2.54mm Wire Cable Connector 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 Pin Pitch | eBay

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I've purchased a harness off eBay (I do know how to solder - I'm an electrical engineer actually 🤓 but I gave away all my soldering kit, wires, etc. when I moved for work).

So this doesn't require any removal of the front navigation unit at all?
I apologize for the stupid questions but I haven't even looked at the rear navigation unit. I guess I just assumed it was the front of the navigation unit and that takes a little more effort to reach. This makes it so much easier!

·
Registered
29 Posts
CAR: 2008 Acura TSX, Auto, 2.4L, 117k miles

Hey Bro,

I tried following your directions but I need some clarity on how to hook this up:

1.) Will this item from Ebay work: 10Sets JST XH2.54 XH 2.54mm Wire Cable Connector 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 Pin Pitch | eBay

2.) How do I hook up the ends of the wires to the end of a female RCA - can you give more detailed directions?

Thanks a lot!

This DIY is for hooking up a DVD player or backup camera to you 2006+ TSX.

Later when I get a DVD player I’ll add to the DIY how to hook it up. Right now I don’t remember exactly which wire to tap into and don’t have time to look for it and get pictures. I’ll also add how to hook up the camera and a DVD player to the navi system with the use of a Bosch relay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Dude,

Hopefully this thread is still alive: :oops:

I saw this harness on Ebay and wanna get it but I first wanna know how to connect the wires to the female RCA plug: 10Sets JST XH2.54 XH 2.54mm Wire Cable Connector 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 Pin Pitch | eBay

Wow. What a great thread!

I registered just to say thanks to everyone above who offered tips and so on, and especially to OP, if he/she still frequents the forum.

Thanks to this thread, I installed a backup camera in a nav-equipped '08 TSX today - easy process and worked pretty well. Except that the quick-splice connectors I used to tap the backup light power seem only work about 99% of the time. I may strip and solder those instead. 🤓

I ended up with this backup camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMC8QXI/

And used one of these, which made the harness assembly a bit easier. (No soldering for the RCA connector. >:) )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DRQF5YE/

Thanks again!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The most secure way to connect to the RCA plug is to solder the wires to it. And terminate the other end of the wires to an 8-pin connector. The 1st post is very detailed and complete on how to make the harness and what parts you need. The hardest part is the soldering if you aren't experienced at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The original post talks about connecting it to a 7-pin connector, which I think I found on Ebay, just not sure if this is the correct 7-pin including wires: 10Sets JST XH2.54 XH 2.54mm Wire Cable Connector 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 Pin Pitch | eBay

My main issue is that I didn't find the original post to be as detailed as Id like for it to be. I understood that 1 end attaches to a 7-pin connector, but I'm not sure how to connect the other end (soldering or not) to the RCA plug. I'm a total newbie to wire-connecting so I need more detailed directions please:

How do I connect (soldering or otherwise) the other end of the wires (positive / negative) to the butt of the female RCA plug?

Thanks

The most secure way to connect to the RCA plug is to solder the wires to it. And terminate the other end of the wires to an 8-pin connector. The 1st post is very detailed and complete on how to make the harness and what parts you need. The hardest part is the soldering if you aren't experienced at it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's an 8 pin connector shaved down to 7 pins. Either way you have to end up with a 7 pin connector.

The RCA plug has spades so you can either solder the wires to it or crimp female spade connectors to the wires. Just make sure that you have the negative wire connecting to the outside RCA spade and the positive wire connecting to the inner most (toward the center) RCA spade.

If you are not comfortable or experienced with soldering then just crimp female spade connectors to the wires and then connect the wires to the RCA's male spades by hand (they push together). I don't recall the size of the female spade connectors but if you show the RCA plug to an employee at an electronic parts store they'll know.

If you want to learn how to solder, there are many helpful videos on YouTube for all levels.

I hope this helps but if you are still unsure of how to make the harness then please have someone physically help you. It's better to get assistance then to risk your safety.

701 - 709 of 709 Posts