Acura TSX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Phisig you're a genius. I made your adapter this morning and today I installed it. It looked really ghetto too. I had to pull an extension cord from my apt into my trunk where I plugged in a VCR that was laying around. Then I sent the video signal to your adapter and it worked. I was watching Zidane play from my driver's seat. It was even cooler because the car needed to be in reverse to work.

Throw out some questions or picture requests if you have any. I'm going to buy my camera now and finish it up when it arrives. I'm likely buying the Pioneer camera.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok theres a flaw in my plan to drive every where backwards:
Without a camera I have to look out back window to see where im going, thus I am unable to see playing movie.
With camera, I can look towards screen, but no video is playing.
Therefore I must wait for the 'technical' solution to this problem :-(

·
Registered
164 Posts
At least one person on this board has voiced interest in me making the adapter for them. Are there any others who would be interested? Soon I will be able to have my DIY running and I wouldn't mind helping out other TSX owners.

My camera will be arriving shortly and the seller says he has more (I am at least buying one more for my Dad's TL). If the seller is a good seller than I'll let everyone know. $176 shipped for a Pioneer camera is really good I am hoping. Plus if there are others he may be able to drop the price a bit.

On a side note, what should I use to mount the camera above the license plate? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
etonek said:
Phisig you're a genius. I made your adapter this morning and today I installed it. It looked really ghetto too. I had to pull an extension cord from my apt into my trunk where I plugged in a VCR that was laying around. Then I sent the video signal to your adapter and it worked. I was watching Zidane play from my driver's seat. It was even cooler because the car needed to be in reverse to work.

Throw out some questions or picture requests if you have any. I'm going to buy my camera now and finish it up when it arrives. I'm likely buying the Pioneer camera.
I have some questions if anyone has time to answer them. Thanks for the write-up, Phisig.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to electronics. after the adapter is made and plugged into the dvd-nav, when does the lcd screen inside the car change? Does it automatically sense that there is another input and then automatically change to that input? and what wire do i need to tap into? i don't have the camera yet, but i assume i need to tap into the reverse light to power the camera, is that correct? can anyone take another picture of this wire? and is this the only wire that needs to be tapped?

again, please excuse my ignorance, this will be the first kind of diy that i have ever attempted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
mikeucla said:
I'm a total newbie when it comes to electronics. after the adapter is made and plugged into the dvd-nav, when does the lcd screen inside the car change? Does it automatically sense that there is another input and then automatically change to that input? and what wire do i need to tap into? i don't have the camera yet, but i assume i need to tap into the reverse light to power the camera, is that correct? can anyone take another picture of this wire? and is this the only wire that needs to be tapped?
The adapter is made to be like the Yellow cable for your RCA inputs on DVD/VCR. Therefore it produces the picture. Phisig did a great job of figuring this out. When I hooked up my VCR to test it, the visual switched over immediately after I put the car in reverse. So you are correct, the navi automatically senses the new input through reverse.

You are correct, you will be tapping into the reverse lights. This way, power will only be sent to the camera every time the car's power gives the lights power. This will be the only wire you must tap into. Phisig shows which wire.

The last step will be to ground the camera. Most backup cameras you buy will come as a harness: RCA input, ground wire, and power wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
etonek said:
You are correct, you will be tapping into the reverse lights. This way, power will only be sent to the camera every time the car's power gives the lights power. This will be the only wire you must tap into. Phisig shows which wire.
Damn, I thought this was the wire to tap into to enable video on the move!. Perhaps Phisig could confirm this!

·
Registered
36 Posts
etonek said:
The adapter is made to be like the Yellow cable for your RCA inputs on DVD/VCR. Therefore it produces the picture. Phisig did a great job of figuring this out. When I hooked up my VCR to test it, the visual switched over immediately after I put the car in reverse. So you are correct, the navi automatically senses the new input through reverse.

The last step will be to ground the camera. Most backup cameras you buy will come as a harness: RCA input, ground wire, and power wire.
Thank you etonek! And I must agree, Phisig did a great job! Thank you Phisig! I am so looking forward to the DVD write-up! I can kind of see where he'll get the video from a DVD to display, but I want to know how he plans on integrating the audio. Maybe through the auxiliary input in the center storage console? Or the auxiliary input on the back of the headunit?

Hopefully, etonek, you or someone else can answer some of my last questions regarding this camera DIY. In order to run the wires through the trunk, I think we need to remove the liner, but I'm having trouble here. I located the 3 screws and was able to remove those easily, but there are 5 or 6 pins, or some type of connector, that I wasn't able to remove. I didn't want to use too much force because I didn't want to break anything. Is there a special tool or method to remove these? And how important is it to ground the camera? Is there a wire I can use to ground? Or do I just somehow attach the ground wire to the chassis? Anyone care to share how they grounded the camera? Also, where have you guys tapped into the reverse wire? In the trunk? Or behind the passenger seat?

The camera I purchased to test this DIY is a cheap security camera, so it actually doesn't have a ground wire. I think it was built for use in the home. It uses a regular AC adapter. I'm planning on cutting this wire and running it to the reverse wire, but there is no ground wire as far as I can see. I think I'm using the same cheap camera that Phisig has in his pictures. Phisig, did you ground your camera?

Thanks in advance to everyone for all your help!

·
puiyingbread
859 Posts
etonek said:
At least one person on this board has voiced interest in me making the adapter for them. Are there any others who would be interested? Soon I will be able to have my DIY running and I wouldn't mind helping out other TSX owners.

My camera will be arriving shortly and the seller says he has more (I am at least buying one more for my Dad's TL). If the seller is a good seller than I'll let everyone know. $176 shipped for a Pioneer camera is really good I am hoping. Plus if there are others he may be able to drop the price a bit.

On a side note, what should I use to mount the camera above the license plate? Any suggestions?
thx for the link, the camera look sexy~~post some pic after u got the camera~~

i think the best place is like the picture below:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Captain Vallo said:
Damn, I thought this was the wire to tap into to enable video on the move!. Perhaps Phisig could confirm this!
Why would you want the camera on while you're on the move? The Navi is set to switch back to the Map Guide when you're moving forward.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't messed around yet to find the wiring harness or how to get inside of the car to tap into power. Hopefully if the weather is nice I'll be able to figure this out this weekend and do prep work before my install. I am planning on going up through the light above the license plate then tapping the wire Phisig pointed out on Page 1 behind the seat.

I'm also looking into adhesive such as the type used to mount lip spoilers onto trunks to attach my camera.

·
Registered
6 Posts
etonek said:
Why would you want the camera on while you're on the move? The Navi is set to switch back to the Map Guide when you're moving forward.
So I can watch videos from my ipod! whilst passenger of course, or sitting waiting for my kids!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just stripped my trunk liner, which is real easy I might add, and I was wondering which part of the tail light is the reverse light. I can't remember but I think they're white. Either way tapping into the reverse lights is going to be much easier than finding the hardness behind the seats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
etonek said:
I just stripped my trunk liner, which is real easy I might add, and I was wondering which part of the tail light is the reverse light. I can't remember but I think they're white. Either way tapping into the reverse lights is going to be much easier than finding the hardness behind the seats.
Hi etonek,

Can I ask you some more questions? I was having trouble removing the trunk liner. I got the 3 screws out easy enough, but how do you remove the clips? Do you just pry them out with a flathead screwdriver? I didn't use a lot of force because I didn't want to break them. I wanted to make sure before I tried again using more force.

As for the reverse light wires, how many are there? How do you remove the assembly? Are there any tabs? Or do you just pull it out?

And how critical is grounding the camera? I bought a cheap camera intended for home use, so there was no grounding wire. Any possible consequences?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
164 Posts
mikeucla said:
Can I ask you some more questions? I was having trouble removing the trunk liner. I got the 3 screws out easy enough, but how do you remove the clips? Do you just pry them out with a flathead screwdriver? I didn't use a lot of force because I didn't want to break them. I wanted to make sure before I tried again using more force.

As for the reverse light wires, how many are there? How do you remove the assembly? Are there any tabs? Or do you just pull it out?

And how critical is grounding the camera? I bought a cheap camera intended for home use, so there was no grounding wire. Any possible consequences?
You have to rip them out by force. Don't worry about snapping them, they're good plastic. Just grab the liner and pull. Make sure they don't snap off and shoot somewhere though.

You shouldn't have to remove the reverse light at all. You're simply tapping into the wire to draw power. I'm using squeeze connectors.

If you're camera didn't come with a ground wire, then don't worry about it. I'm not expert so I'm not sure why one has to be grounded and another doesn't, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
puiyingbread said:
i think the best place is like the picture below:
whose car is this ?
hmmm I was looking to get that camera but now it looks too exposed
some asshole can just get a good grab and pull if off or something

81 - 100 of 694 Posts