Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a post on Reddit about this but haven't gotten much hits. Pasting it below with all necessary information because I am at my wits end here.

Back again as always. Been an awesome year and a half with consistent repairs on my TSX as some of you probably recognize. AC went out (compressor isnt kicking on and was replaced 1.5 years ago) so thats a whole other issue that I havent figured out.

As the title says - Ive been racking my brain against this issue and needed to lifted the car up yesterday to replace my upstream o2 sensor so I opted to check everything. As the vehicle stands in regards to repairs, the following has been done:

• New lower control arms (new arms + bushings - replaced ~4 months ago)

• Rack/Pinion (replaced ~1 year ago - includes inner/outer tie rods)

• End links (replaced ~4 months ago with lower control arms)

• Lower ball joints (replaced ~2 months ago)

• Front and Rear motor mounts (replaced in 2019...passenger side mount is still original as well as transmission mounts - not sure how to tell when this goes bad but I doubt this plays into this problem).

• Tein Flex-Z Coilover System (Installed ~2018 and was secured with no play, noticed no issues and bolts are tight).

The only other components I can think of that might potentially play into this issue is the axles (original with ~185k on them) or sway bar (bushings??). The pattern I have noticed is that this seems to happen in stop/go and turning.

Symptoms: When I am at a stop sign and accelerate I can hear a subtle clunk noise and can almost feel it in the floor board area. I have also noticed the noise with a loud clunk when I go to park in front of my house and turn the wheel to straight out/get closer to the curb and go into reverse. Coming to a stop presents another "clunk" sound. When I lifted the car up to change my upstream o2 sensor I verified all bolts were tightened and secured, no torn/ripped boots. I turned from lock-to-lock and did not hear the clunk sound whatsoever that is noticeable when the vehicle is back on the ground. Driving does not exhibit any "clicking" sounds like one would anticipate with a bad axle which is why I am stumped.

Anyone have an idea? As always, I am beyond appreciative of this sub and all the help/advice folks have given me over the years.

Edit 1: Test drove it again to put the vehicle in different conditions and have discovered that if I were to reverse into a parking spot, as I stop I can hear the "clunk" sound, then I reverse and turn the steering wheel I can hear a repeated clunk sound. Inner axle joint? Ball joint? I have no idea at this point. Ball joints were replaced a month or two ago by this one shop and are OEM Honda ball joints. No rips/tears in the rubber boots. When the car was lifted the issue wasnt present but when weight is on the front end then there is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like you've covered most bases. Clunking when chaning from forward to reverse motion might be a loose brake caliper of pad retaining clips (I can't even recall if the TSX has clips). But that probably wouldn't repeat until you change direction again. Might check it though.

Might take it to the dealer, mine has actually been helpful in troubleshooting problems caused by an indie shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you've covered most bases. Clunking when chaning from forward to reverse motion might be a loose brake caliper of pad retaining clips (I can't even recall if the TSX has clips). But that probably wouldn't repeat until you change direction again. Might check it though.

Might take it to the dealer, mine has actually been helpful in troubleshooting problems caused by an indie shop.
Yeah, before I even attempt to post anything (on Reddit especially) I try to be as detailed as possible and working in IT kind of helps troubleshooting damn near everything. I took my car to Acura up in Colorado Springs to get a diagnostic on this same exact noise, spent nearly $150 for an "inspection" to be told I needed new ball joints (I knew this already and having 180k on the original ball joints, rack and pinion, and lower control arms was a given) but after that it seems like it might be getting worse. My rack actually blew last year which was a shitty $2300 repair as I went OEM).

I did check the retainer clips and pads and they didnt move but that was with them still attached to the rotors. Thinking on that I only checked the outside pads and the sound is hard to pinpoint. Would the retainer clips (04-08 do have that) and/or pads shift if you werent moving forward or back and turned from lock-to-lock?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did check the retainer clips and pads and they didnt move but that was with them still attached to the rotors. Thinking on that I only checked the outside pads and the sound is hard to pinpoint. Would the retainer clips (04-08 do have that) and/or pads shift if you weren't moving forward or back and turned from lock-to-lock?
Pads or calipers (if they're loose) probably tend to shift when braking when changing between forward and reverse motion. Turning probably wouldn't cause that, but if something were lose enough it might do it any time you touch the pedal... and people tend to forget that they're usually also braking when they turn and backup. Try turning without using the brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pads or calipers (if they're loose) probably tend to shift when braking when changing between forward and reverse motion. Turning probably wouldn't cause that, but if something were lose enough it might do it any time you touch the pedal... and people tend to forget that they're usually also braking when they turn and backup. Try turning without using the brakes.
I did notice when I turn my wheel without brakes applied (with the car in reverse and not accelerating) I would hear the clunk noise but havent pinpointed a pattern of when and at what turn/angle it happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a video I recorded this past weekend -
. I am not entirely too sure how much play there should be in the axle joint area?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just checked mine, it's similar with rotational and axial play. But your tranny CV joint seems to have more radial play than mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah thats what I was thinking as well. I tried reaching out to Marcus from heeltoe because I saw his cv joint repair video and figured he would have some input but no word yet. Closest appointment I can get with my mechanic shop is next month which sucks. No play in the sway bar from what I saw either. Doesnt do it when the car is in the air, does it when the front end is on the ground and I turn, brake, etc. May as well do a brake job to rule all that out as the rotors need to be turned anyway due to some kind of weird residue on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts