Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help guys ! :mad: :mecry:
I am mad and stressing out --- Need info & advices.

This is regarding the infamous "Mandated Inspection on AT Tranny Case"

Quick facts:
1) My VIN is in the range --- Bought 6/04/2004 BEFORE the memo.
2) Called dealer (1 hr away) weeks ago when I discover #1
Service manager said they got NO record showing inspection performed on my car. BUT they have a list that identifies the cars they sold that had the wrong tranny case.
Basically she said they know exactly which cars are "bad".

So I finally looked under the hood today and what do I see ?
the bloody RCL-1 case

So what now ? please tell.
Does just the tranny case need to be replace ? what else ?
Or does the whole tranny need to be replaced ?

I have read somewhere that the whole bang needs replacement --- No way I accept that....it's gonna be a battle...hope i keep cool head & no need to go postal.
:mad: :mecry:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, what are they telling you?

This seems so simple, but isn't that always/almost always the best place to start? See what they tell you, and see how it sounds. Then take it from there.
IMO when we try to get more creative than that right from the start, sometimes we make trouble when there isn't any.

Larchmont, who knows a bit about making trouble. :D

BTW welcome, RTG -- I've enjoyed your posts "over there." (I still look there even though I don't post.) Congrats on getting the car, but sorry to see that you have this problem. Hopefully it will be resolved well -- and without a battle.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daymn....it's quiet round here

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Larchmont....

I am not calling dealer yet because I think I better make the call on a fone that can record the conversation.

I want to record because last time I spoke to service mger about this issue
she said they NEVER done the mandated inspection - because they knew which cars really need care. Mine was not one of the bad apples.

Now they are clearly wrong here --- not even take a quick look! I am not mechanical and it took me only 10 mins to find the code.

I just want to "build a strong case" in case things get unpleasant.
Like I said I will try my darnest to get a new car IF the tranny needs replacement.
I dont want a car 20% made in NY.

What you think

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello guys,

What's tranny case ? Do I need to check my car to see if I fall within the VIN # ? I can go to the auto shop tomorrow or tonight.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I don't think you should record the conversation.

Why? Because it's part of a negative attitude, and it's almost certain that you would convey this, and it would make it much less likely that you'd have a good outcome. Or, even if you did have a good outcome, I think it would be only with a battle.

People don't always realize how when they go about something in a certain way, it affects how they come across. This is a perfect example of it. You're bracing for a fight, like you're preparing for battle and like you expect the other side to be FOS and a**holes. I'm not saying exactly that this would be a "self-fulfilling" prophecy, but close to it. And even if they ARE going to be a**holes and even if they are going to start off giving you a hard time, I still think it's likely that you could get a good outcome -- but that it's less likely if you go in with a "battle" attitude than if you just take it as a normal conversation (or series of conversations).

Be your normal self and be a nice guy as long as you possibly can. You haven't even given them a chance yet to show if they're a**holes, and already you're fighting!

Larchmont, who tries to look at the big picture. Which sometimes involves hallucinating. :D
j/k

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I dig you Larch.
People too often do things certain way subconsicously

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
yeah, I dig you Larch.
People too often do things certain way subconsicously
Yes. I'm definitely more from the school that you get more flies with honey than with the other stuff. And that one of the reasons is that when you go with the other stuff, you set a bad tone.

Please let us know what happens as you go along.

BTW I wonder if it's possible that your car actually WAS taken care of properly before you got it, even though the service manager didn't find a record of it.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long is the return-period ? 3 months or something ?
I remember dealer telling "if you're not satisfied......you have X days/months to return the vehicle..."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
How long is the return-period ? 3 months or something ?
I remember dealer telling "if you're not satisfied......you have X days/months to return the vehicle..."
Never heard of that one before. I'd be surprised if it's literally true, in the way that you are indicating.

But if it's true, this would be your total ace-in-the-hole. If at any point you don't like what you're hearing from them about your car, you can just mention casually that maybe you'll just return your car for a complete refund. :D

But first make sure it's really true. (As I said, I doubt it.) And also, don't be too quick to use that trump card, and when you do, don't say it angrily, which isn't necessary anyway when you have such a strong weapon. You can be real folksy and friendly about it, and the message gets across. But remember -- first be totally sure it's true.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, pretty sure it's a law - not sure state or fed -- that applies to all new vehicles
some kinda consumer protection thing....I am surprised you had no idea.

The thing is I've had the car since 6/4/04 , 2200 miles.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
well, pretty sure it's a law - not sure state or fed -- that applies to all new vehicles
some kinda consumer protection thing....I am surprised you had no idea.

The thing is I've had the car since 6/4/04 , 2200 miles.
Maybe it's a state thing. Where are you?

I'd be shocked if it's nationwide, and really I'd be a bit surprised if it exists anywhere either. Not only haven't I ever heard of it, it sounds totally out of keeping with what would be expected, I think. And I think we would have heard a lot about people making use of it, and we haven't. (Have we?) I don't recall anybody on any of these sites ever having done it, or even thinking about it, or using it as a "chip" in talking to the dealership about problems with the car. And, I think, sure as hell they would have.

If you can find any reference or link about this, we'd be extremely interested. (Or at least I know I would.)
But for the moment, I'm still EXTREMELY doubting it, at least in terms of it depending just on "satisfaction."
("Lemon" stuff would be a different story.)

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
larchmont said:
Maybe it's a state thing. Where are you?

If you can find any reference or link about this, we'd be extremely interested. (Or at least I know I would.)
But for the moment, I'm still EXTREMELY doubting it, at least in terms of it depending just on "satisfaction." ("Lemon" stuff would be a different story.)

Bought the car from ManHattan Acura, NYC.
You don't recall your dealer saying anyting like that to you upon taking delivery ?
Damn ! and Service is closed on Sat....Svce mger suggests I drop the car off on weekend & they will look....I don't know abouit that....I'd like to be there in person while they have the lookyover.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
Bought the car from ManHattan Acura, NYC.
You don't recall your dealer saying anyting like that to you upon taking delivery ?
I never heard anything anywhere close to this in my life, anywhere, ever.

BTW did you know.....for a few years recently, Manhattan was left without any Acura dealers or authorized service???

And I was living there at the time. That led me to take some "field trips" to see where the nearest ones were, including Larchmont. I liked the area, and that little field trip was a part of what led to my moving here.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Manhattan Acura is relatively new...I think my sales said 4 or something

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to make this clear to Service manager that they will do NOTHING that takes longer than an oil-change to the car w/o ASKING me first.

I am praying everyday that my car gets clean bill of health from em grease monkeys.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:
8/6/04
Brought car back to dealer.
Dealer verified that tranny case has the code "RCL-1" which require further actions.
Note: There is nothing VISIBLE to Service that would indicate problem.

Dealer next action is to contact Honda as to what to do.
2 possible outcomes :
1)Honda DETERMINES that this car is one of the "bad apple" & needs a new tranny --- so it will ship whole new tranny from Jp.
2)Not a "bad apple" --- no action required.

I am praying to God it's #2.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts