Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I've just been stuck with a current battery issue that i've had. I've recently replaced the battery to a brand new 490cca one and I've constantly been checking the battery charge (with a car battery tester) and even after the battery change, it is still draining. Overnight, the car drops around 20% so I've tested if there is a parasitic drain and testing the amps, only 0.04/0.05 amps are being used when the engine is off. With the engine on and idling, the battery draws 14.1v and the voltage when the engine is off varies as per the charge (12.4-12.6~). Any thoughts on what the issue could be that's draining the battery.
I should also add that the car is a 2006 TSX.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Based on the information provided it could be anything that requires voltage. Put a meter on the battery and start removing fuses until you notice a reduction in current draw. Or measure the current at each fuse and see which one is drawing it. There are many things that could be drawing the current but It's hard to give more specific information on so very little information provided. Maybe it would be best to take it and have the electrical system tested by someone that can give you a better assessment.

FYI, at idle the battery doesn't draw 14.1V, the alternator provides that to the electrical system and thus you see it at the battery. That's a good sign indicating that your alternator is providing adequate voltage at idle.

·
-
1,750 Posts
0.040-0.050A (40-50 milliamps) is normal battery drain for a modern car.
That is not a parasitic drain. That will not kill the battery.

Are you sure those readings are correct?
Ammeter in series with one of the battery posts and the corresponding connector?

What is the battery voltage in the mornings?

490CCA is likely the very small 51R, original sized battery. I would have installed a larger one but that is not your issue.

I recommend to install a in-car voltmeter of some kind. Monitor the battery voltage like a hawk.
While driving, while stopped, after the car sits for a few hours, after the car sits over nite.

Based on the info provided, it sounds like your alternator may be intermittent, which is not common.
Monitoring the battery voltage constantly will rule this out.

Reactions: Litespeed08

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,I've just been stuck with a current battery issue that i've had. I've recently replaced the battery to a brand new 490cca one and I've constantly been checking the battery charge (with a car battery tester) and even after the battery change, it is still draining. Overnight, the car drops around 20% so I've tested if there is a parasitic drain and testing the amps, only 0.04/0.05 amps are being used when the engine is off. With the engine on and idling, the battery draws 14.1v and the voltage when the engine is off varies as per the charge (12.4-12.6~). Any thoughts on what the issue could be that's draining the battery.
Son had a similar issue with a 2006 tax. I believe he traced it to the Bluetooth module, so he disconnected it and the drain stopped. Module behind passenger footwell side panel, a green connector i recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.