Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 tsx, I have a red top optima battery in it and a new alternator buy yet still if I don't runt the car for 2 or 3 days it's dead..can figure out why. Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like either your battery isn't holding a charge or you have an electrical drain. Test your battery with a battery tester and see if all cells are good. If so, then you'll have to run down what is drawing current. With time electronic/electrical devices break down and draw current when they are off. You'll have to determine which device is the culprit.

If you have a multimeter and know how to check your electrical devices for current then start a systematic check at the fuses. It'll take some patience. If you're not inclined then take it to an automotive electrical expert for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Another way to check would be to get to the fuse box (the interior one, that's above the pull handle for the hood release) and just remove a bunch of them and then put them back until you find the one that's causing the draw.

I had to do this with my 2003 Subaru Forester about 10 years ago. It turns out there was a separate little switch I'd accidentally tripped on the top my steering column, that I didn't even know was there, that served to turn on the "parking lights" independently of the headlights. It also didn't require the engine to be on, it just turned them on and kept them on, even without the key (as opposed to the "one click" setting on the headlight stalk, which would turn on the parking lights without the headlights, but only with the engine running or the key inserted and turned to "accessory mode" without turning the engine over).

That was something it never crossed my mind was a feature I'd ever want, and didn't know existed. Only after I pulled the fuse for that sucker and my power drain went away was I able to do a reverse-lookup of the fuse to what it was for, and then found that light switch documented in the driver's manual.

There doesn't appear to be a similar thing for the 2004 TSX, but the approach should still work.

(If this doesn't find the "parasitic draw" on your electrical system, you can try moving on to the other fuse box that's under the hood.)

Interior fuse box is here:

Assignment of fuses in the interior fuse box (2004)
No.Amps.Circuits Protected
1(15 A)DBW
215 AIgnition Coil
3(10 A)Day Light (On Canadian models)
410 ALAF
520 AAudio Amp
610 AInterior Light
710 ABack-Up Lights
820 ADoor Lock
915 AFront Accessory Sockets
107.5 AIG OPDS
1130 AIG Wiper
12Not Used
13Not Used
14(20 A)Driver’s Power Seat Sliding
15(20 A)Heated Seat
16(20 A)Driver’s Power Seat Reclining
17Not Used
1815 AIGACG
1915 AIG Fuel Pump
207.5 AIG Washer
217.5 AIG Meter
2210 AIG SRS
237.5 AIGP (PGM-FI ECU)
2420 ALeft Rear Power Window
2520 ARight Rear Power Window
2620 ARight Front Power Window
2720 ADriver’s Power Window
28(20 A)Moonroof
29Not Used
307.5 AIG HAC
31Not Used
327.5 AACC
337.5 AHAC OP

·
Registered
239 Posts
I mean, it'd be funny if it turned out to be some "interior light" that's been left on, but the bulb is burned out so you never realized it, and you only found it because you pulled fuse #6

Other than some kind of light, another likely candidate for an "always on" power draw would be the security system. Do you have an aftermarket one? I don't see a fuse for that in this diagram, unless it's one of those initialisms I don't recognize like "LAF" or "IGACG"

I don't think the 2004 TSX came with a factory alarm, just remote door locks and starter kill tied to the key? Still, worth bringing into a car audio/security shop to have them do a power draw check on the system (I'm not sure where to test with a multimeter).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ew ... You said amp and sub; oh, the days. Perhaps something is not cutting off from the subs and amp. It always been the case with my expierence. Back then it was a yellow top. Have you tried using a capacitor? It changed my life with power drain issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 04 tsx, I have a red top optima battery in it and a new alternator buy yet still if I don't runt the car for 2 or 3 days it's dead..can figure out why. Anyone had this problem?
I assume you have power front seats on both driver & front passenger. My son had a similar situation years ago with his 2010 Acura TSX. It turned out that his front passenger electric seat mechanism or switch was stuck in the backward position (couldn't really hear it) and even though the seat had positioned as far back as possible, the electric motor kept on running (quietly) which drain the battery through the night undetected. Once switch was replaced, all good and no more drained battery replacements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do all your window switches operate? Our '05 had a bad switch at the master controls for the passenger rear window. Replaced it with a junkyard part that had good switches, no more battery drain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newcomer to Acura here, just got an 06 TSX! I had the same exact problem as you. Unsure if it carries over to 2nd gen’s, but here ya go:

Originally, I also thought it was HFL. Unplugged the module, still drained. Decided to swap a new battery in, because mine was somehow the same one that came with the car from the factory (based on battery manufacture date). Not sure how the first owner made it last that long. Anyways, after the swap, it started right up every day without hesitation. Also, check around your engine bay, my alternator wasn’t grounded, which can cause unnecessary draw.

If you don’t want to drop money on a new battery just yet, check if anyone you know, preferably one that has another car for themselves in case of worst-case-scenario type things happening, has the same size battery and swap with each other, see if each car starts presently, leave them overnight, and repeat...

Hope this helps, and good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to thank everyone here for your help. I re did all the negatives, put a new starter on and cleaned up all connections. It's working fine now..oh and I think a burnt out interior bulb was on n it got turned off.
Again thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts