Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My positive battery cable seems to have rusted/acid corroded through and sometimes it won't completely make the connection to complete the circuit and I can't start the car, it also has shut off a couple times on me while i was driving.

I bought the #11 battery ground cable from acuraoemparts only to find that that is the negative side, so installed it anyways, but I need to find out how I can replace the whole positive battery cable assembly, it's E-7 in the acura diagram, but I can't seem to find how I can buy it.

Help Please!!!
Does anyone have the part number and/or a diy or instructions on how to replace it, thanks

·
Another Honda Guy
374 Posts
I'll look it up when i get home.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
This is page E07 (which is what the BATTERY diagram referred to when you accidentally ordered the negative cable): http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=TSX&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=4DR+TSX&catcgry5=ENGINE+WIRE+HARNESS&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

Part No. 1 is the ENTIRE positive voltage engine harness (with all connections to all primary points of contact for 12+ voltage). Part No. 2 is for the dedicated Starter circuit.

Both are NOT going to be fun to replace (especially No. 1).

I would look and see exactly where the corrosion is, and if possible, getting some proper gauge cable and replacing the corroded section with some new stuff, and a new battery terminal.
That being said, are you 100% positively sure that the battery terminal and post are VERY VERY clean? Get yourself a $2 battery post/terminal cleaner from any parts store (and even Walmart automotive department carries it). Clean the posts like crazy, and then clean the terminals like crazy. Tighten the terminals down nicely and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then look at the first few inches of the positive cable and see if that's really green in colour. If so, I'd look at getting something to dissolve the corrosion -- I have heard many stories about Coca-Cola (not Diet Coke) working on battery terminals, although this might just be to dissolve the foamy acid stuff sometimes seen on the terminals.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Here's a decent article on how to use the Coca-Cola to clean the first few inches of the cable:
How to clean corrosion on your cars battery terminals and wires - by Leroy Fodor - Helium

Basically, pour 1/2 a can into a jar of some type, insert the end of the cable thats corroded, let it sit for 30 minutes, remove, rinse lightly, reinstall. Coat it in petroleum jelly (vaseline) once re-installed so further corrosion is greatly slowed down.

·
Un-Civil Engineer
2,205 Posts
Coke works, but so does baking soda and water. The baking soda doesn't leave a sticky mess afterward! I guess you can just flush it with water, unless you live in Ohio (like me) and its 20 degrees.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Dude, here's a used engine harness (what you need): IMPORT BIDS - Auction Marketplace

Seller, I believe, had a part-out TSX in the For-Sale section for the past year... he redirected to this link and I saw this and thought you might be interested. :) GOOD DEAL!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts