Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem where the car runs fine and all electrical seems ok. But when I get somewhere and shut it off, the battery doesnt have enough charge to start the car. It runs all the light stereo and heaters just fine but wont turn the motor over.

I recently replaced both the battery and Alternator (optima battery and just plain parts store alternator) and after about 3 weeks the car is having the same problem.

Today when I started the car to come home from work it turned over slow like the battery didn't have much power, when I got home I turned it off then tried to crank it over and the dash lights flickered and starter barely turned over, then the battery light was big and red on the dash. :(

Does anyone know what this problem may be?Before I replaced the battery and alternator I was able to jump it and the car would start fine for a week or so.

Thank you for any help

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Today when I started the car to come home from work it turned over slow like the battery didn't have much power, when I got home I turned it off then tried to crank it over and the dash lights flickered and starter barely turned over, then the battery light was big and red on the dash.
It sounds like the entire drive was powered by the battery (not the alternator) so that when you got home,the battery didn't have any charge left. The battery is used to store power to start the car, and then the alternator takes over once the engine is on. The battery isn't used while the engine is on unless the alternator isn't providing enough power, in which case the needed power is taken from the battery.

You should take your car to autozone and have them test your alternator and battery (they might be new, but they can still be defective). Another thing to look at might be the drive belt and alternator pulley to see if the engine is driving the alternator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure the battery cables are on tight without any debris in between the terminals and posts. Also Im assuming that the car starts fine when its jumped? Like the guy said have autozone check the battery and the alternator. Sounds like your battery isnt getting any charge, so its either a bad alternator, or a bad connection somewhere. Could be that shitty noname pepboys alternator is faulty. We need to know if the car starts fine when jumped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try to jump it in the morning.

There is no loss of power or dimming lights while driving, so I am kinda worried it might be the lev causing it not to properly charge the battery but still send power to the ignition and run the car.

EDIT: I cant go look atm but I dont believe its a belt issue cause my powersteering works, BUT I will give it a look while jumping it :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Isn't our power steering electric?

If so would there be a belt?

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
If so would there be a belt?
1st gen is hydrological, not electric. don't know much about 2nd gen though. As for the belt, we have a main serpentine belt that runs everything. However, I think there might be a small one that runs the alternator. I can't remember.

O.P. I would check to see if wires are good and tight. I had a problem like this on my S10 and it ended up being a loose wire.

Otherwise, like stated before, go get both tested at your local auto parts store. If all is well, then you might have something that drains it overnight, like a light staying on or something of that nature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just tried to jump it and nothing. The starter doesnt even kick out. I believe now that the starter is the problem. Everything inside the car works well, including headlights. I will try to push\bump start it and limp it an hour away to my parents garage (can't work on it here in apartment) I already bought a new starter a few weeks ago expecting to eventually replace it.

The alternator is included in the main serpantine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i had the same prob on my 04 accord 6 speed when i had it and its funny i had a red top optima i ended up putting a regular battery in it and never had the problem again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it ends up being the alternator or wiring issue I am just going to charge a little pos battery and go trade the car in for a truck. Not worth the trouble anymore. In two years of owning this car I have spent throusands on repairs that are happening 100k miles early.

Timing chain stretched and threw CEL
New Axles On two occasions

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhh well I fixed it yesterday. Turned out to be the starter, I bench tested it and it just made crackling noises and got really hot. New starter sounds futuristic almost like the phasers on old star trek haha.

I did notice something odd, My intake has a weird golden brown residue everywhere on the inside, is it oil? I thought our intakes were dry with just air? Do we have some type of smog control that reburns some exhaust and oil like old 80's chevy cars?

Oh and if you ever do this job please drain your radiator first... unless you want to be a jerk like me and say "meh its only the throttle body 1/4 inch hoses" they will spill half your coolant in your engine bay and then you will have to deal with it dripping off of your brush guard and onto you while you replace the lower bracket.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Ahhh well I fixed it yesterday. Turned out to be the starter, I bench tested it and it just made crackling noises and got really hot. New starter sounds futuristic almost like the phasers on old star trek haha.

I did notice something odd, My intake has a weird golden brown residue everywhere on the inside, is it oil? I thought our intakes were dry with just air? Do we have some type of smog control that reburns some exhaust and oil like old 80's chevy cars?

Oh and if you ever do this job please drain your radiator first... unless you want to be a jerk like me and say "meh its only the throttle body 1/4 inch hoses" they will spill half your coolant in your engine bay and then you will have to deal with it dripping off of your brush guard and onto you while you replace the lower bracket.
why didnt you plug the drain?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cause the throttle body looks to be the highest point in the water system and i figured it would just drain out like a cup of fluid slowly... but instead it shot like a drunkard taking a piss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts