Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members of TSXClub. I've been lurking around the forums lately but havent had too much time to sit down and discuss with many of you awesome tsxers', in addition to that I'm also not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong section....administrators would you please move it to the correct section. Thx.

I am fairly new to modding.... So my question for this thread is basically what would be a few good upgrades to my 2006 5speed AT TSX ?

I was looking to do a few performance upgrades ad even a few visuals to make the car look cool but I'm not sure what mods will harm the car more than do good to it. If the experienced modders could help out a new owner of a TSX I would much appreciate it!!

Types of performance upgrades I have been looking at (but not sure what brand is good):
Intake (not sure what brand is good)
Rims/wheels
Exhaust (performance w/o sound or with little sound)
HID lights/foglights (not sure what brand is good)

So if you guys could help out a newbie and post the links to the items that you guys recommend for me I would like to check them out!

P.S. don't use too many acronyms since I'm not sure what many of them mean!! If you do please explain what they mean LOL!! (Example: CAI = cold air intake)

Thanks everyone @ TSXclub - Dinh

·
Jeff
902 Posts
I'm a long time lurker so here's what I have learned so far. The other TSXers will hopefully correct anything false I put out here

For intakes, you can do
1) homemade (imitation icebox) DIY intake using pieces from your resonator, changing the air filter, and dremeling out the ribs in your stock air box, or get the Comptech Icebox. more low end gains and quietest
2) a short ram intake-filter sits in the engine bay, more low end gains but will heat soak from engine at stops. really loud and makes you "sound fast". AEM is a good brand i think?
3) a long tube cold air intake-filter sits behind front bumper, which will lose some low end torque and have a risk of hydrolock, depending on your location. best high end gains. Injen, Fujitsu, and K&N are a popular brands among this board.

For rims/wheels you want some lightweights. Depending on your budget, brands vary. Volks has the good stuff, Enkei does also, and a buncha other brands. For looks 18" is the preferred size, tho some can pull off 17". You should look into tires too

Most would suggest upgrading your suspension before wheels, lowering (coilovers is the easiest I believe) and sway bars, etc. Tein, F&F, Skunk2 are some names

Some of my buddies get aftermarket exhausts solely for the fart can sound, which I really don't like. For performance, you'd need to group up that exhaust with aftermarket headers (ie DC sports, Comptech), along with a better flowing cat (ie Random Technology), or even a cat delete, even tho that's harmful for the environment.:slant: apexi, comptech, greddy exhausts are some good one

DDM tuning has some HID kits.

You should also look into reflash and pulleys. Reflash lowers the RPM engage for VTEC, and lightweight pulleys put less stress on your engine, unlocking potential. Unorthodox racing or Non stop tuning make pulley kits.

Hope i didnt put out any wrong information there. Don't have any links, hope you know how to use google :D google heeltoe, good vendor

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have provided me with a decent amount of information!! I will start researching from what you have told me. My questions is why do you suggest upgrading the suspension FIRST before adding new wheels?

As for the reflash and pulleys, will any of them do harm to the engine if I upgraded?

Also having too many engine mods, does that mean burning more gas and getting less gas mileage ??

·
Registered
427 Posts
the hondata reflash is pretty good for our cars.. haven't really heard any negative reviews on them........

umm.. i would lower first because you get actual performance gains.. "but i'm a performance junkie"

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Before I recommend anything, I like to know what kind of driver you are. Are you into taking turns on the backroad/canyons? Are you looking to go in a straight line a bit faster? This is important to tailoring the mods to YOU so you aren't wasting money.

Wheels is everyones own opinion. It's like shoe shopping. Seriously. Check out the wheel gallery thread for some ideas. Hopefully you can do a search on proper wheel fitment or someone can explain it o you. It can be confusing for a beginner.

1 real important question, considering you are a noob is that the lower your car is when doing suspension, the more you have pay attention to the road and places you are going.

I would do suspension first and then performance/looks. Performance- Alot of people are going to disagree with me but unless you get a whole lot of things, you are only nickel and diming for a few hp. I would do intake, header, reflash, pulleys, then exhaust.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@peterscrib - I read that results for AT TSX "The gearbox shift points have not been changed. To use the higher rev limit you must be in sportshift mode" - Hondata.
Meaning I must shift to manual to get the performance increase?
http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx_06.html

@Jtrix215 - I would like for better performance in a straight away. I have been looking at Intake and so far I am convinced injen is a good brand to upgrade...unless there is another manufacturer out there that I dont know about?

Comptech Icebox compared to the Injen CAI
Comptech:
http://www.autocarparts.com/part/list/143/
Injen:
http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1672/18/

As for suspensions, I was looking to lower the car just a tiny bit from where it is now. I dont want to go TOO low because then that would mean driving in and pulling out of my garage will SCRAPE the bottom of my car. So is there a desired height adjustment when installing coilovers? Like I can do half inch, 1 inch, 2 inches drop, etc etc ?

I looked up DDM Tuning for HID lights and I saw on their website they only supply BMW headlights. I also saw the foglights on their website and I'm not sure whether or not they will fit for the TSX?

DDM Tuning : Fog Lights

As for headers I looked at DC Sports. Are they better than the comptech headers?
http://www.dcsports.com/421headers2acura.html

·
n/a
8,573 Posts
2 things I would do first are:

suspension (teins, buddy clubs, etc.) for the drop you want, springs can do the job for you.

wheels (your choice here)

after that, do whatever you want: kit, performance parts, visors, etc.

@ your questions, doesn't hondata just lower the range vtec hits? and I don't think the mods will lower your mpg, just refrain from smashing everywhere with those mods lol.

as for intakes, injen/k&n and comptech ice box seems to be the most perferred.

Here's the DDM hid: HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning
I believe our fog lights are h11? someone confirm, it's been a while lol

As for headers, dc and comptech are both junk. they both have problems. I think you'll have to go for the more high end headers to be more reliable.

The way I see it is since our cars are already slow as hell, I focus more on aesthetics instead of performance. Doing all those bolt ons won't help much on straight aways. lol Unless you go supercharge/turbo..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
UR pulleys + Hondata reflash + K&N filter. Done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello fellow members of TSXClub. I've been lurking around the forums lately but havent had too much time to sit down and discuss with many of you awesome tsxers', in addition to that I'm also not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong section....administrators would you please move it to the correct section. Thx.

I am fairly new to modding.... So my question for this thread is basically what would be a few good upgrades to my 2006 5speed AT TSX ?

I was looking to do a few performance upgrades ad even a few visuals to make the car look cool but I'm not sure what mods will harm the car more than do good to it. If the experienced modders could help out a new owner of a TSX I would much appreciate it!!

Types of performance upgrades I have been looking at (but not sure what brand is good):
Intake (not sure what brand is good)
Rims/wheels
Exhaust (performance w/o sound or with little sound)
HID lights/foglights (not sure what brand is good)

So if you guys could help out a newbie and post the links to the items that you guys recommend for me I would like to check them out!

P.S. don't use too many acronyms since I'm not sure what many of them mean!! If you do please explain what they mean LOL!! (Example: CAI = cold air intake)

Thanks everyone @ TSXclub - Dinh
Hey buddy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I personally have a 2012 tsxwagon. Had an 09 tsx previous to this. I’ve had the Greddy SP Supreme tsx exhaust system. VERY low sound in comparison to any other one on the market. Clean and low rumble. Problem is it’s around $900

·
Registered
2012 Acura TL
3 Posts
I was looking for modifications for my 2010 Acura TSX. I wanted to improve HID lights and I didn't know which brand to choose and I found interesting suggestions on 2010 Acura TSX Mods & Upgrades. I'm happy with the results. I think you will find the necessary recommendations for modifying your 2006 5speed AT TSX.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts