Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the best everyday coilovers would be.. My budget is around ~600 maybe 700. I drive my car at least 80 miles per day. The streets I drive on are relatively bumpy, it really just depends on if the city wants to fix the potholes or not. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tein Street Advance or Bilstein HD shocks with Eibach Pro Kit springs. Better ride than stock, excellent quality, and right in your price range.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My suggestions were both excellent options for your price range. One of them is a matched spring/shock coilover.

What, in your opinion, is "good"? Something with more features?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My suggestions were both excellent options for your price range. One of them is a matched spring/shock coilover.

What, in your opinion, is "good"? Something with more features?
I'm actually looking into your suggestions. "Good" to me is something that won't go bad fast. The streets in my city are pretty bad sometimes. Especially after it rains.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had my Tein street advances on my 1G TSX for about 40k miles and 2 Chicagoland winters. They look and perform like they're new. The ride is way better than stock, and they have all the right features for a street car. I have driven the car in Chicago, NYC, Detroit, and Toronto. So...they've seen some shit. The car is my DD. I have other cars with other suspension systems...and the SA's are one of my favorite street coilovers.

ST ST-X's (KW) are another great option...but...honestly...the Teins might be a better option considering price and features.

If you chose the Bilstein option, they have a lifetime warranty...and match very well with Eibach prokit springs...which also have a lifetime warranty.

Any of the above options ride better than the stock suspension.

You cannot slam a car with any of the above because that's not what they're for. I have my 1G lowered about 2.25", which is significant...but leaves enough wheel travel for potholes, dips, etc. I set them up within Tein's recommended height. Install them properly and they'll last and last.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't say you *need* a camber kit. I left my rear camber at the -2.5 degrees that happens naturally. The front is between -1 and -1.5, IIRC. Although its not a bad idea to fix the geometry. If you decide you want to fix the camber/toe curve....I'd buy adjustable rear lower control arms. They're like $100/pair.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wouldn't say you *need* a camber kit. I left my rear camber at the -2.5 degrees that happens naturally. The front is between -1 and -1.5, IIRC. Although its not a bad idea to fix the geometry. If you decide you want to fix the camber/toe curve....I'd buy adjustable rear lower control arms. They're like $100/pair.
The one other reason to get a camber kit to minimize rear camber is for handling benefits. More rear negative camber = more understeer.

I'm only lowered .5" in the back and my camber is -1.8 and that's easy to visually. If I lower further with Konis I'd definitely invest in a a camber kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought about coilovers as well, and price wasn't really an issue, but decided to go with Koni Yellows and Eibach pro kit. it rides awesome, cut out the wheel gap with my 18s I was able to get both on sale paying 733.93 shipped to my door. The Koni's have a life time warranty and the eibachs have a 11 million mile warranty, so I know they will outlast the car (I have about 83K on my 2006 TSX now). The shop I took it to is pretty cool and adjusted it a few times for me. The struts are on the middle tier.

So far I haven't went over about 90, but it corners a lot better and I notice there isn't as much nose dip. I have taken it on some pretty bumpy/rough roads and I haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Koni yellows are great shocks overall. But I wanted something more refined...so I bought the Tein SA. That *might* sound weird...but I like that the damper knob on the Teins will adjust low speed bump and rebound. I find that overdamping for bump (slightly) makes the car more enjoyable, but not harsh. The Teins don't have seperated adjustments...but both curves seem to travel together in a really well thought out way for a comfortable setup that's also fun.

Tein SA's are about the same price as Koni/Eibach...and they're height adjustable as well as damping adjustable. And tein's quality has always been very good.

If you really want a set of seperate shocks and springs instead of a matched setup, I would suggest Bilstein over Koni....even though Bilsteins aren't damping adjustable.

BTW, the lifetime warranty covers defects. I don't believe it covers wear. A rebuild to refresh the shocks would cost money. The teins are rebuildable as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Koni yellows are great shocks overall. But I wanted something more refined...so I bought the Tein SA. That *might* sound weird...but I like that the damper knob on the Teins will adjust low speed bump and rebound. I find that overdamping for bump (slightly) makes the car more enjoyable, but not harsh. The Teins don't have seperated adjustments...but both curves seem to travel together in a really well thought out way for a comfortable setup that's also fun.

Tein SA's are about the same price as Koni/Eibach...and they're height adjustable as well as damping adjustable. And tein's quality has always been very good.

If you really want a set of seperate shocks and springs instead of a matched setup, I would suggest Bilstein over Koni....even though Bilsteins aren't damping adjustable.

BTW, the lifetime warranty covers defects. I don't believe it covers wear. A rebuild to refresh the shocks would cost money. The teins are rebuildable as well.
I think I'm going to go with the Tein street advance. I've been looking into those and comparing them to the street basis. In your opinion which one do you think would be best?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm personally leaning towards the Bilstein and Eibach Prokit combo for a upgraded DD setup, however the Tein SA's sound great for a more aggressive DD setup. I just don't need all the height adjustability. I just want something that'll ride great, handle fairly well, and minimize the wheel gap once I slap on my 18"s.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm personally leaning towards the Bilstein and Eibach Prokit combo for a upgraded DD setup, however the Tein SA's sound great for a more aggressive DD setup. I just don't need all the height adjustability. I just want something that'll ride great, handle fairly well, and minimize the wheel gap once I slap on my 18"s.

Tein SA's are anything but agressive. They're very soft. I have to leave mine at almost the stiffest setting to get the suspension to not float around. The softest settings are useless. The car feels like a 1970's cadillac. On fully soft, I can get the car bouncing down the road by tapping the brakes. Seriously.

The teins feel very european when you stiffen them, though. Not quite as refined as something like a Bilstein PSS9 kit. But even being able to slightly compare them to a PSS9 is a HUGE compliment. They don't make PSS9's for the TSX, unfortunately. Or I'd be all up in thems.

Bilstein HD (B6's) are sold for the TSX, however. They are great shocks...and if you're not interested in adjustability, the Eibach prokit and B6 combination is excellent. Bilsteins are probably some of the best dampers out there. I can't say anything bad about them at all.

If I had to choose again, I would have a hard time deciding between Tein SA's or Bilsteins with ground controls. I think the SA's would win out because of the damper adjustment. While its hard to argue with the build quality and reputation of Bilstein....I like adjusting the suspension for different situations and/or moods. Because I'm a nerd/weirdo. And the Teins have an excellent feel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think I'm going to go with the Tein street advance. I've been looking into those and comparing them to the street basis. In your opinion which one do you think would be best?
Street advance, hands down. They're not even $100 more. The adjustable damping is 100% worth it. The Basis are nice, but the ride is more agressive....and you can't change it if you don't like it. I feel like the Basis wouls be borderline too agressive for some people.

I wouldn't skimp out over $60-90.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
From my own experience, I can say for sure the H&R Cup kit is close to stock, with a way better handling. They are only height adjustable via threaded locking nuts. I have a maybe 2 cm gap above the tires. Car has of yet (5yrs) not bottomed out once. Wife finds they make her boobies dance a little, I do not mind.... :tu2:

ACC-Man

:topic:MODS: this is my 300th post in 6 yrs... where's my present/marching band/la ola???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hate to hijack a post, i dont know how to work this forum very well, what is the hughest quality coil over available for a $700 to $1300 range? I want sometging bullet proof, that can handle 450 whp, that might accidently be used for racing like four times a month?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts