Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa, Ca.

I don’t own an Acura, but I needed to get a new engine block a while ago. After calling many MANY dealerships looking for the best price I finally found South Coast Acura. I talked to Stanley in the parts department and told him what I was looking for. Without hesitating he quoted me the cheapest price BY FAR. For 2222.22 I could get a brand new 2001 B18C5 Integra type r short block assembly. That’s the assembled block with all the internals in place, all the pumps and oil pan. Everywhere else wanted 3000+ and one place quoted me 4500 dollars!

On top of that he hooked me up with many other smaller parts I needed for my engine swap, all near cost to the dealership (15-20% over cost for me). I don’t know this guy; he was just helping out someone in need. Since then I’ve gone back to buy a transmission and other parts from them, and I’ve got the same service from multiple people. Like the title says, this is the best dealership. Ever.

·
Registered
122 Posts
South Coast Acura wasn't very accommadating when I was shopping for my new TSX, they were very slow to respond versus other dealers and were unwilling to negotiate price, that being said I would still maintain there as its the closest Acura dealer to me :cool:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
pocketkiller said:
what kind of car are you putting that engine in?
I assume it's his......

Glad you had such a good experience, Joe!!

BTW.....what made you think of contacting an Acura dealer rather than Honda?

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I cant get an Integra Type R engine from a Honda dealer.

And yes, thats the car it went in. My EM1 2000 Electron blue Pearl Civic Si coupe.

If you click on the link in my signature you can see a lot more pictures of my car plus a mods list. Its obviously got the B18C5 ITR block in there, plus a butt load of other goodies. Im about to throw in some Skunk Racing "Stage 2" cams in there while bumping my compression ratio up from 10.6:1 to 11.5:1. Im hoping to be putting over 200WHP to the ground with a 9,000RPM fuel cut.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Given a 20% drive train loss 200WHP should equate to about 240BHP.

Given that my engine is 1.8 liters, that would mean I beat the hp per liter ratio set by the S2000 which makes 240BHP with 2.2 liters. Woot! Not that hp/liter means anything in the real world. I hope to be able to break into the high 13s in the 1/4 mile with this set up.

As for "standard" specs. There aren’t any. It’s a combination of different Honda engines put together. The B18C5 block is out of the Integra type R. It has 1.8 liters of displacement, is completely balanced, all the internals are coated and the crank is knife edged. It’s more then capable of reliably spinning past 9000RPM.

The head is off of my old B16A2. It’s been ported and polished, had a 3 angle valve job and I have upgraded the valve train to reliably accept aggressive cams spinning at very high RPMs.

Currently the whole package is running at 10.6:1 compression, and is spinning to 8250RPMs. Not sure how much power it is putting out, but it’s quite a bit more then what my stock B16A2 was putting out (160BHP and 111 ft lbs of torque).
I’m running the stock B16A2 cams, but as I said I have some Skunk 2 Stage 2 cams sitting here in my room with skunk2 cam gears. I already ordered a 2 layer Spoon head gasket which will increase the compression and I will be milling the head to increase the compressions even more. I’m shooting for over 11.5:1 compression (no more then 12:1 so I can still use pump gas without needing to retard timing). I will then have all of this tuned on a dyno with a wideband hooked up to make sure the air/fuel ratio is perfect.

At that point I will be almost done with my engine set up. All that would be left to change out is the intake manifold and the throttle body, sicne I still am using the stock B16A2 pieces. They work just fine, but there is more power to be had by getting better flowing pieces.

I will be getting all this done this month so I will be sure to posts pics, dyno charts and some movies up.

If there is anything else you would like to know about it in the meantime, let me know.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am increasig my compression ratio. By adding a thinner head gasket and milling the head I will be increasing the C.R. from its current 10.6:1 to 11.5:1

·
I need to stop modding!
44 Posts
I agree with south coast acura as being one of the best dealerships. I've brought my tsx in there twice so far for warranty repairs and each time, they were prompt, fast and very honest. I didn't even buy my tsx from them. Also, if you look online on their parts catalog and see that its cheaper than the price they have in their parts store, print it out and they'll price match it. When I first did that, I didn't bring a print out copy but the lady just told me to print it out next time and automatically gave me the price match.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, I dont want to have to add race gas or octane booster to avoid detonation so under 12:1 is good for me, just real close to it. I JUST got my Spoon head gasket in the mail tosay so I now have all the hysical parts to get my cams in there properly (cams, cam gears, head gasket).

Also JDM, did you dyno this "AEM CAI vs stock air box" on the exact same dyno back to back? That is such a small difference a change in tempature, humidity or the difference between dynos (even if the same model and brand) would probably be to blame, not the part it self.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts