Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

This is my first post. I'm currently looking for a 2005 Silver TSX AT w/Nav in the Los Angeles area. I'm wondering what would be the best way to negotiate the car at the dealership. Do I say, "I want to buy this car for $29K OTD?" and let the sales person work out the math to bring the final total to $29K? Or do I start from the "Sticker Price" & negotiate down?

Or do I simply use my "Jedi Mind Trick" :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure who originally posted this link, but there is a great free “Buyer's Offer Spreadsheet - Use This Spreadsheet To Calculate Your Offer To The Dealer” available here:

www.carbuyingtips.com

(under “Take a Break” on the left navigation pane select the option “Free Spreadsheet Download”).

Basically what it has you do is determine the dealer’s cost (invoice price less factory holdback for a TSX), add then add appropriate profit for the dealer (I’d shoot for 4%-5% for an ‘05 Navi TSX).

If you’ve got the time, you might browse the “How to buy a new car” chapters. It’s long, but there are some good nuggets of information to be found there.

I’d also request a quote from CarsDirect.com. If you opt not to buy from them, at least you have benchmark price that you shouldn’t exceed from any dealer.

Failing the use of the Jedi Mind Trick, I'd take this route.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You're best bet is usually talking and dealing with the fleet manager most of the time if you can. When I was looking for a TSX I called around to about 7 or 8 dealers in Southern Cali, and had them trying to price match one another. Also, get a quote from carsdirect.com and see if the dealers will price match it. If you find the lowest price from a dealer, call around to other dealers, and talk to the fleet manager. They are the ones that normally can give you the best deal.

BTW, picked my TSX with Nav for 28.5 out the door.

-Jimmy

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Welcome Kaidoi! :wavey:

nice screenname :laugh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey, Jimmy!

You got a 2005 TSX for $28.5 OTD? Man, you must be a be a Master Jedi :) I will shoot for $28.5 then...

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I placed a deposit on the car. It should come in around Mid February. I have until then to work on my negotiating skills.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take it from a salesman....

I'm not a car salesman, but I've got 10+ years of sales experience in surgical medical devices, specialty pharmaceuticals, and high tech.

Since I too am in the market for a 2005 TSX with Nav, I'll share what will be my approach. I've purchased several cars in my lifetime, and like many of you, have been burned in the past. The easiest way to get ripped off in any sale is if you're desperate to make a purchase. Don't listen to the sales guys when they say "one of a kind" or "hurry this won't last." Listen, the 05 TSX's may not be available in great numbers, but they'll be trickling into the dealerships throughout the year. I'm not in any rush to buy this car, so I'l wait anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months until I get my price.

So here's what to do....

1) Write out exactly what you're looking for in a formal letter that can be faxed around. Let them know what you want to pay. I also tell them that I'm willing to consider loaner cars that have less than 8K miles on them.

2) call all of the local dealerships and speak to the fleet manager FIRST. Sometimes they'll turn you over to general sales, sometimes they won't. Tell them what you're looking for and fax in your letter.

3) When I've identified 3 WILLING dealerships, I stop by after work when I'm wearing my suit. It always helps to look your sharpest when negotiating with these guys. Why do you think they're wearing ties? Why do you think pharmaceutical reps wear suits? Same with all business executives. It makes people think you're successful and on top of your game.

4) I then purposefully tell them (again) what I want and what price I'll pay. Rather than sit down with them for an extended time, I simply leave the first visit with, "Call me as soon as you find what I need."

5) I then work on getting my financials in order. In this case, I won't have enough cash to buy the car, so I'll secure financing ahead of time. I don't negotiate with salespeople on anything other than the bottom line, out the door price. None of this "what do you want your monthly payments to look like" business.

6) Once I've planted all my seeds and secured my financing, I call all of my contacts at THE END OF THE MONTH to see what they've found out. Almost all car dealerships have month end contests, and salesman are more willing to sell at invoice in higher quantities than play hardball over gross profit/car at months end. What I mean is, they have bonuses on the line that pay them if they sell X-amount of cars each month.

7) If they have the car, you have your financing in order, and it's at the end of the month, then you can sit down with them. This way, all you have to say is "I have my check right here, how much for the car?"

Sorry for the long post, but this is easier than people make it out to be. DO NOT go to the lot on an impulse. It's not worth it. The car will be there next week, next month, etc. I hope this helped.

·
TSXLady
15 Posts
Good advice BobbyG!! I went to the dealership yesterday, spoke with the fleet manager. My car should be in first week of March. I got a 2005 Black/parchment, with Navi/window tint/ wheel locks for $28,550 OTD!

I think its a great deal.. what'd you say? When I finalize the interest rate with the dealer I'm gonna try and schmooze them into throwing the splash guards in there as well + more than 1 oil change for free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, one more thought...

Would it be best to trade in my car when purchasing a new TSX? I have a 1993 Acura Integra GS (Black & Black Leather Interior). The condition of the car is good with 150K & the interior is "like" new. I took the car to CarMax to get an appraisal, but the value of the car per KBB is just under $2K. I know I can get a better deal if I were to sell it myself, but I just don't want to deal with the selling.

Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jimmah must definitely be a master. The best I have ever heard of, not in So Cal mind you, is $27,400 plus TT&L. $28.5k out the door is amazing and unless you are extremely patient (read: can spend months without your new car), I wouldn't try to go for that.

Here is a breakdown worksheet:

Invoice - $26,423.00
MSRP - $28,990.00
Holdback - 3% = $869.70
Dealer's Total Cost of Vehicle - $25,553.30
Fair Profit Over Dealer Cost (3-5%) 5% - $1,277.67
Destination Charge - $570.00
Final Cost to Consumer (Before TT&L) - $27,400.97

Take into account that I have read hundreds upon hundreds of posts about dealer experiences and in my spreadsheet I have recorded 3 people that got their cars for ~$27,400. The demand for them is really high right now. I had a heck of a time getting the right color combo, even in AT. In MT, it's even tougher. 4-8+ week wait times. Claims of dealer trades, etc. They just want you in the door.

More info will be added as needed.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,199 Posts
DAmn, it was really hard to talk down the price for my TSX. So OTD is including Tax/fees etc...?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,199 Posts
Man, i try agian and agian with three diff dealers to get the car for 27,500...thats without tax. MAybe its where i live......

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
I got mine for $27,000 + tax in Atlanta, but it's all about supply and demand which usually has something to do with location as well. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with my deal. :nod:

·
TSXLady
15 Posts
Yup, OTD means Tax, title, license fees all included. Can also be terned Drive Out, though someone on this bulletin said they had never heard of the term "DRIVE OUT" before.. maybe its a TX thing..

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
629 Posts
HondaMan said:
I got mine for $27,000 + tax in Atlanta, but it's all about supply and demand which usually has something to do with location as well. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with my deal. :nod:
That's a good deal! Did you get anything included with that price? I got my 2005 for $27,525 and OTD price of $29,025. That was for a NHB TSX Auto with Ebony Interior and Nav. I think I got a really good deal since the 2005's invoice is more than the 2004s AND I got All season mats and wheel locks! :king:

My suggestion is to know everything you can about the car. I knew that I wanted this car so I researched, researched and researched some more. I researched to the point that I think I knew more than my salesman. This way you won't get tricked in any way by the salesman. You also don't want to walk into one dealership and buy. Go online and get quotes from the dealership's Internet Sales Managers. Use this to your advantage. Take the best Internet quote you get and go to the dealerships you prefer to see if they'll better the price. If they do, just tell them that you'll review the price and sleep on it. The next day go to another dealership and use that price to see if another dealership will beat the price you just got. Keep doing this until no dealership will beat the price. If no one else will beat it, go to your prefered dealership and ask them to match it and then work in some goodies, like discounted items or freebies like wheel locks, all season mats.

Oh, remember to try to do this soon (winter time = better for consumer) and at the end of the month. I put a deposit on my TSX on January 31st, 2005 at 7pm (1 hour before closing). Good Luck!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Yeah, I got wheel locks, trunk liner, splash/mud guards, place mats (those might be standard) and free oil changes & car washes for life (this sort of sucks because I live over 70 miles from the dealership).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts