Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock tires are Michelins on the TSX. If they are anything like the Michelins that my GS-R came with, then they are crap.

Anyone look into replacing the tires... any recommendations? I'd be looking for something all-season for the snowy months.

Any feelings about going with a wider tire (on the stock rims) for even better handling or is the stock size perfect?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The stupid michelins really suck. I am planning to change the tire after around 10000 miles. But now, if u r looking for some tires and wheels. U can look at tirerack.com. There are reviews and ratings for you to read too.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
w_piti said:
The stupid michelins really suck. I am planning to change the tire after around 10000 miles. But now, if u r looking for some tires and wheels. U can look at tirerack.com. There are reviews and ratings for you to read too.
What tires are looking at as replacements?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have read quite a few reviews, and so far, continental seems to be the best brand for it. They have the best rating for handling and noise comfort. But oh well, it will be another year or so since my car only has 1200 miles on it now!

P

·
0 Posts
just replaced stock tires and rims with 18x7.5 wheels and yokohama avs es100's in 225/40/18 . Wow!!!! car sticks to the road . Ride did not suffer, a little noise next to stock but these are 40 series summer tires . It does look like the car needs to be lowered about in inch now (fender gap more noticable) , and stiffer springs . I'll post pics sun am.

·
Registered
37 Posts
pakman72 said:
just replaced stock tires and rims with 18x7.5 wheels and yokohama avs es100's in 225/40/18 . Wow!!!! car sticks to the road . Ride did not suffer, a little noise next to stock but these are 40 series summer tires . It does look like the car needs to be lowered about in inch now (fender gap more noticable) , and stiffer springs . I'll post pics sun am.

how much does the ES100 cost you??

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
On the "Least Utilized Feature" thread, somehow we got into talking about the OEM tires (actually it was when we got into the VSA).
And I noted that I thought the TSX's tires have been getting a bum rap.

The OEM tires take a hit whenever they get discussed on any of these forums. I have often asked what tires people think would be better, and whatever different tires anybody would mention, there would always be some drawback.

These seem to be the most common drawbacks of other tires:

(1) The ride would be rougher.
(2) You can't keep them on during snow -- i.e. you have to change to snows for the winter.
(3) They wear out a lot faster.

To me, these seem like significant negatives. I'm not interested in switching to tires that would worsen the ride quality. I love not having to bother with another set of tires. And I love basically not having to think about changing tires at all for like 40,000 miles or more.

So it looks like maybe the OEM's are just about the best tires that give a combination of reasonably good performance and handling, reasonably good ride, all-season capability, and great longevity.

Kind of like the TSX itself, when you think of it.

If people could suggest tires that do a better job of that whole package, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So it looks like maybe the OEM's are just about the best tires that give a combination of reasonably good performance and handling, reasonably good ride, all-season capability, and great longevity.

Kind of like the TSX itself, when you think of it.

If people could suggest tires that do a better job of that whole package, I'm all ears. [/B]

The OEM Michelins on the TSX sound like the OEM Michelins on just about every Acura car... including the ones that came with my Integra. They have horrible traction (wet or dry), but have little rolling resistance (better MPG) and last a while. The first winter I had the car, I couldn't believe how poorly they performed. Since then, I have had Dunlops and Firestones, which easily out-perform the OEM Michelins in the rain and snow, but I've noticed that I get worse gas mileage (2-3 MPG less per tank) and less longevity (on the Dunlops, I just got the Firestones).

I think it all depends on what you're looking for in a tire. Personally, living in the snowbelt, it's important for the tire to have good traction in the snow for an all-season tire.

I think the only advantage that the OEM tires have over any other is that they get good gas mileage. Period. You can get cheaper tires that perform better in all conditions, but you'll be sacrificing a few miles to the gallon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
pakman72 said:
just replaced stock tires and rims with 18x7.5 wheels and yokohama avs es100's in 225/40/18 . Wow!!!! car sticks to the road . Ride did not suffer, a little noise next to stock but these are 40 series summer tires .
Awesome choice man. I'd reccomend those tires any day. A very agressive look and as you said, the ride is great. I got some NanKangs that look exactly like the AVS ES 100's. I'll see how they feel, but quality wise I bet Yokohama is the way to go.

l8ers

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes, for a lot of us, those Yokos sound great. But (sorry to sound like a stick in the mud :D ) I wouldn't want to change to tires that are noisier, and I imagine most other TSX'ers wouldn't either. So, it seems to me we're still looking for some tire that will be at least as good or better on ALL aspects.

Seems like sjlee thinks there's any number of tires that would do it..... If you see this, SJ, maybe you could name a couple of "top picks"? Even forget about cost if you feel like it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
larchmont said:
Yes, for a lot of us, those Yokos sound great. But (sorry to sound like a stick in the mud :D ) I wouldn't want to change to tires that are noisier, and I imagine most other TSX'ers wouldn't either. So, it seems to me we're still looking for some tire that will be at least as good or better on ALL aspects.

Seems like sjlee thinks there's any number of tires that would do it..... If you see this, SJ, maybe you could name a couple of "top picks"? Even forget about cost if you feel like it.
Heh... just saw this post directed at me today. Sorry for the delay. :)

Anyway, here's a list of tires that I think would do a better job than the OEM Michelins (on the stock rims). The prices are from TireRack:

Summer Only
Bridgestone Expedia S-01 ($172)
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 ($118)
*Firestone Firehawk SZ50 ($157)
Yokohama AVS ES100 ($114)

All-Season
BFGoodrich Traction T/A ($111)
*Continental ContiExtremeContact ($95)
Sumitomo HTR+ ($79)

* indicates the top choice in each category. I think the Continentals would be the best overall choice.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well yeah, but you already said those Yokos are noisier than the stock.

Do you really mean that you think any of those tires wouldn't involve any sacrifice on any of those criteria? It still doesn't sound like you meant that. And that's what I'm asking.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
larchmont said:
Well yeah, but you already said those Yokos are noisier than the stock.

Do you really mean that you think any of those tires wouldn't involve any sacrifice on any of those criteria? It still doesn't sound like you meant that. And that's what I'm asking.
I don't recall saying that nor can I find that post... I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

In any case, I already stated that I think the only advantage that the OEM Michelins have over any other tire is that they have low rolling resistance which means slightly higher MPG.

Each of the tires I listed are better at some things than the others. The summer-only tires have better handling, but would be horrible in the snow. It's up to the individual what is more important... for example, I am willing to use noisier tires to get better snow traction.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sjlee said:
I don't recall saying that nor can I find that post... I think you have me mixed up with someone else....
Yes, SJ, you're right -- sorry, my bad!
It was pakman72 (see above) who said that about the Yokos being noisier. And we don't really know him -- that was his only post, and it was a long time ago. But we probably can put some credence in it, since he got those tires himself and he was talking about how they actually are.

Thanks for that list of tires. I might be looking into them.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
I wouldn't bother with all season personaly. They suck at everything. When I replace the stocks it will be with a summer tire and then I'll get a set of winters for my 7 spokes. I've heard good things about the Kumho Ecsta MX and I plan on trying those out for my next set of dry/wet traction tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
sjlee said:
Heh... just saw this post directed at me today. Sorry for the delay. :)

Anyway, here's a list of tires that I think would do a better job than the OEM Michelins (on the stock rims). The prices are from TireRack:

Summer Only
Bridgestone Expedia S-01 ($172)
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 ($118)
*Firestone Firehawk SZ50 ($157)
Yokohama AVS ES100 ($114)

All-Season
BFGoodrich Traction T/A ($111)
*Continental ContiExtremeContact ($95)
Sumitomo HTR+ ($79)

* indicates the top choice in each category. I think the Continentals would be the best overall choice.
The *Continental ContiExtremeContact ($95) are definatly quieter than the stock tsx tires, I had them on my BMW and Lincoln LS (two cars I am glad to be rid of)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
tony4311 said:
I wouldn't bother with all season personaly. They suck at everything. When I replace the stocks it will be with a summer tire
Agreed!
Joker - who loved the Falken Azenis on his ITR, and can't wait to get a set for the TSX :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
bheywow said:
The *Continental ContiExtremeContact ($95) are definatly quieter than the stock tsx tires, I had them on my BMW and Lincoln LS (two cars I am glad to be rid of)
Cool!!!!!

And what else about those tires, Bheywow (or anybody)? How else do they compare to the stocks, like how else are they better? And, would you say there are any minuses?

Especially, does the ride quality suffer at all? (I know you already said about noise, that there's no problem about that part of it.) And what do you think about the longevity and gas efficiency?

And maybe most importantly, wtf does "bheywow" mean anyway? :D
I guess it's hey and wow, but what about the b? :D :D
I used to think it was a takeoff on bow-wow but then I got wiser. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got to be honest, other than the stock tires being loud on the tsx I dont have any issues with them.

The name, well originally I was known as Brian Heywow in the old pre computer phone phreak days, I was in a group of people that included Kevin Mitnick and a few other notorious people who have sense made a name for themselves in computer hacking.

My main claim to fame was not participating in a phone company burglary that many others did and they all got caught (including Mitnick) anyways in computers that name became bheywow and I actually am a consultant on the other side of the fence now (the side that locks hackers out, you might say).

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Interesting stuff, bheywow.
Not to get off topic, but since I always do anyway.....

I don't remember any discussions or opinions about hacking on any of the TSX sites, which maybe is a little surprising because it's a big internet issue. Maybe it's because people don't think there's anything to say about hacking.

Well, I think there is, because IMO hacking is GOOD -- up to a point, and I truly believe that hackers should be celebrated and encouraged, not prosecuted -- up to that point.

Hackers serve the function of revealing the flaws and insecurities of computer systems. That's GOOD. And it seems to me it's not only good, but extremely important. Look -- if they can do it, then real enemies can do it, right? And better for hackers to expose the problems first. It gives the "victims" a chance to firm up their systems, and it enables all of us not to have unjustified illusions.

Obviously there's a line to be drawn even if you agree with what I'm saying. Hacking that has truly destructive results is a different story. But a lot of it has been prank-type stuff, which as far as I could see had minimal if any destructive effect, while IMO providing a great service to the public and even to the "victim".

I say that whatever kids or anybody else is interested in hacking, we should tell them to do whatever they can, and the best 1000 or whatever will get huge awards. The service to society would be immeasurable.

OK, back to tires. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts