Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, according to Blackstone, for my car, 12,000 miles is just dandy and recommends sticking to this mileage as the TBN (Total Base Number) was getting pretty low (0.8) compared with 1.6 at 10,000 miles. If you guys remember my first thread on this: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...-miles-honda-genuine-full-synthetic-5w30.html I went to 10,000 miles on Honda Genuine Synthetic 5w30 and sent that analysis to Blackstone Labs. Which, they suggested I go to 12,000 and check back; so I did, and again using a NAPA Platinum synthetic oil filter. Because of the TBN this time, I don't think I'll be going further than 12k in the future. I'm still amazed I haven't needed to replenish the oil between oil changes, at 10k and even now at 12k. This motor must have horseshoes.

10,000 miles OCI (10 months) February 11, 2012 - December 8, 2012
12,000 miles OCI (9 months) December 8, 2012 - September 21, 2013

Reactions: Aragrev7

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Awesome man, glad to see people putting their oil to the limits and having data to back it up. Too often I see people changing their motor oil at 3000 miles. I'm like wtf? Give me your old oil! lol.

Curious enough, what are your driving habits, how often do you drive city/highway, and what was the duration (in time) between the 10k OCI and this most recent one of 12k?

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome man, glad to see people putting their oil to the limits and having data to back it up. Too often I see people changing their motor oil at 3000 miles. I'm like wtf? Give me your old oil! lol.

Curious enough, what are your driving habits, how often do you drive city/highway, and what was the duration (in time) between the 10k OCI and this most recent one of 12k?
Good idea, I added to the OP. I keep all my maintenance info in an Evernote note to keep track of my car. I can't believe I drove MORE in LESS time. Was probably because my girlfriend of 1 year and some change lived 35 miles away and I'd see her a couple times a week. She lives with me now so I think this OCI will last much longer.

Style of driving is a mix of city and highway. Typical DC scenario, it might be highway driving but then you hit traffic and it's city style on the motor. Sometimes I would lazily drive 0.5 miles to the gym and back (yes, ironic I know) 2 days a week. And once a month I drive 110+ miles to Delaware and back for drill. So of my miles, at least 2,000 is pure highway.

Reactions: kewlliljethro

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
Maybe this will put those paranoid TSX owners to ease. OMG 3k miles on my oil, my engine is going to blow up :run:

I change mine every 10k miles. I just make sure to check it every time I reset the MID reminder. I've never had to add oil either.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
+1
Thanks for this info. It's good to have some real evaluations done. This is solid contributions to the club community.
Only thing is I would recommend readers think critically about their driving habits and their service maintenance style. Vel probably does a good job servicing his ride. If you know you already have issues with your car, and/or don't maintain it, you're oil mileage might not be safe at longer times. This isn't an excuse to neglect the poor car further lol.
This is just one case study, we should get a bunch more before official decisions are made ;)
If I lived in the states, I would look into it.
Maybe we can do this by setting up a "group buy" from Blackstone or something. Then hammer out testing from a mass group of TSXs? If people want to send me their results, l can do a quantitative analysis on it (I'm an academic researcher...). Give everyone the low down, limits etc. Basically a meta-analysis of the results. This is how the question is supposed to be answered vs one instance.
What do you think?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and just FYI for anyone that wants to do this, remember that to get the oil life analysed, it's an extra $10 in addition to the regular $25 for the analysis. There's a checkbox on the form they send you.

+1
Thanks for this info. It's good to have some real evaluations done. This is solid contributions to the club community.
Only thing is I would recommend readers think critically about their driving habits and their service maintenance style. Vel probably does a good job servicing his ride. If you know you already have issues with your car, and/or don't maintain it, you're oil mileage might not be safe at longer times. This isn't an excuse to neglect the poor car further lol.
This is just one case study, we should get a bunch more before official decisions are made ;)
If I lived in the states, I would look into it.
Maybe we can do this by setting up a "group buy" from Blackstone or something. Then hammer out testing from a mass group of TSXs? If people want to send me their results, l can do a quantitative analysis on it (I'm an academic researcher...). Give everyone the low down, limits etc. Basically a meta-analysis of the results. This is how the question is supposed to be answered vs one instance.
What do you think?

Wait, you want to do the analysis yourself? The kits themselves are free, but you need to pay them to have it analysed.
Good post velecifferoo :thumbsup: it is weird seeing people still doing 3000 mile OCI. I'm seeing how far my Amsoil OE 5w-30 will last, maybe I'll do an oil analysis also.
Yeah get it done! Amsoil bugs me for certain reasons...so get it tested and maybe I'll respect them lol

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Oh and just FYI for anyone that wants to do this, remember that to get the oil life analysed, it's an extra $10 in addition to the regular $25 for the analysis. There's a checkbox on the form they send you.

Wait, you want to do the analysis yourself? The kits themselves are free, but you need to pay them to have it analysed.

Yeah get it done! Amsoil bugs me for certain reasons...so get it tested and maybe I'll respect them lol
I want to do the statistical summary analysis of all the oil analyses TSXClub can pull together. This would give us a good overview of the oil "ability" and limits for USDM TSXs.
This way we can talk about the oil life of the TSX based on dozens of oil tests, vs just one.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice seeing people use the synthetic oil to its full potential. I do a once a year oil change with full synthetic Amsoil 5W30(signature series). The TSX gets new oil every November just before it gets parked for the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.