Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a 5-LED package from Extreme Bright LEDs the other weekend. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blue...ryZ33713QQihZ021QQitemZ310092970948QQtcZphoto)

They came in about a week and 2 days later. Maple125 (the seller) has a sale going on right now: 15% off-which probably covers shipping. The sale is from 10-20-2008 to 10-26-2008. There are only 5 LEDs in the package, 2 for doors, 2 for map lights, and 1 for the rear dome light. They really are extremely bright and I can read everything in my car. I think they're great and with 15% off its even better! (I missed it by a week maybe... oh well.) The seller is trusted, he has 99% or more positive feedback but choppy grammar in his descriptions of his products, but they are legitimate.

Here is a quick DIY (without pictures, sorry.) of how to install them.

Estimated time of install: 5-10 minutes, depending on your screwdriving skills.
Materials: Small flat-head screwdriver (smallest you can find)

Doors
1. Take your screwdriver, and look for the wedges around the plastic covering. The are 4 total, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. Insert the screwdriver in one of the top wedges, and slowly pry upwards. Make sure the screwdriver is all the way in, otherwise you'll pry nothing. Do this to both the wedges at the top, and pull the plastic covering off.

2. Now you will need to remove the light. Take the screwdriver and place it towards the bottom of the bulb, and jiggle it around until it becomes loose. Don't let the bulb fall out, just take it out when you know the bulb is loose.

3. Place the LED in place of the original light. If it doesn't work the first time, place it in the other way. At the bottom of the LED, there are 2 exterior metal pieces (about the size of a paperclip). Move those metal pieces accordingly and the light should work.

4. Put the plastic covering back on the light by putting the bottom half in first, then pop in the top half by pushing towards the light.

Map Lights

1. Find the wedges in the Map Light covering. There are 2 towards the front of the car, and 2 towards the back. Use the screwdriver to wedge the covering away from the roof. Unlike the doors, you'll need to pry all 4 wedges off for this light. (Caution: Don't pry too hard, pry slowly and with equal force throughout.)

2. Now that the covering is gone, you can see where the light goes. Make sure the light is off and not hot before taking it out. I found hard to take it out with my fingers, so just nudge the screwdriver between the clamp-looking things and the lights themselves. Pry slowly, and the light will fall (try to catch it).

3. Take your LED and push it place of the original light. You're good to go! Now put the Map Light covering back on firmly, and test the light. If the light doesn't work, check the DOOR and OFF switches, or try switching the LEDs direction.

4. Repeat for the other Map Light. Who knows. You may have forgotten it was there...

Rear Dome Light

1. This one is a little tougher. Like the map lights, there are 4 total wedges. 2 towards the front of the car, 2 to the rear. Use the screwdriver and push into the wedge as much as possible. Do it slowly and consistently. For this one, I had to do all 4 wedges, then pop the covering off.

2. Take the light out (either with your hands or popping it with the screwdriver). Take your LED, and pop it right in there. If common sense doesn't prevail, make sure the LEDs are facing downwards and nowhere else.

Admire your lights, you won't be able to wait til dark! Feel free to ask me to be more specific if you had any trouble.

Reactions: TSXDET

·
, Moderator Emeritus
2,851 Posts
Pics of when its done!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics of when its done!
Pictures don't do it great justice, but my windows are tinted 32% and I can see everything in the car, you'll just have to imagine its brighter than the pictures. And I'm totally lost on the whole embedding pictures in threads thing, otherwise I'd have pictures up here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
And I'm totally lost on the whole embedding pictures in threads thing, otherwise I'd have pictures up here.
What you do is:

[.img]address of photo(try imageshack or photobucket)[./img]

Subtract the periods and you're good to go.

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Now that there's a deal going on I might as well!

·
Low Is A Lifestyle
4,116 Posts
idk man... imo i think the blue lights everywhere is kinda ricey. reminds me of all the civics with the mini neon bars inside their cars. i think if anything you gotta leave it at white leds at the most. but thats just my opinion. and is the oem light in the glove box blue also? that might be alright bc its not always on.

·
Low Is A Lifestyle
4,116 Posts
hahahahaha... that guy offers uv bulbs. u can either grow weed in your car, or get skin cancer. woohoo!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i2ide, I know what you're saying. He offers white lights too, so go with those if you want. Those would be REALLY bright I can imagine. I liked the blue because it matches the blue lights near the garage opener and the Not An Ashtray compartment.

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
Hmmm, I was thinking of trying this too but was unsure as to the way it was being sold but sounds good. I agree that its totally ricer soundin with all blue, im thinkin of rockin out blue on the doors since my car is blue and white for the inside but that is me, to all their own. As long as u love it then that's whats up, thanks for the post and lookin forward to some pics...when do the pics ever look as great as the actual, well anything haha

·
Registered
827 Posts
beware of ebay LEDs. I bought a set off of ebay for my sidemarkers and both started to flicker like crazy after a month. I contacted the seller and he sent me another set but only charged me for shipping...same deal, both are flickering like crazy. others have also had this problem with interior LEDs they have purchased off of ebay. can't say things will be the same with the seller the OP is recommending above, but I would purchase LEDs from superbrightleds to be safe. my license plate LEDs from them have been running strong for a year now.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
beware of ebay LEDs. I bought a set off of ebay for my sidemarkers and both started to flicker like crazy after a month. I contacted the seller and he sent me another set but only charged me for shipping...same deal, both are flickering like crazy. others have also had this problem with interior LEDs they have purchased off of ebay. can't say things will be the same with the seller the OP is recommending above, but I would purchase LEDs from superbrightleds to be safe. my license plate LEDs from them have been running strong for a year now.
Thanks for the input! I did a lot of research going into this, and I trust the seller by his feedback, and I will be sure to post here again if I get issues with mine at all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, everything is fine the way I installed it. I'm gonna see if I can take some pictures of them right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.