Acura TSX Forum banner

Blue + Wagon + Tein + camera

21K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  ppower 
#1 ·
It turns out I've only lurked over here until today, so I guess I'd better change that. Those of you who frequent "the other site" may have seen it, but I thought I'd share it over here as well.

First, I picked up two sets of 19" wheels before I even had the car. RDX 19x8 and Volk GT-C 19x8.5 +38 both with 235/35/19 fitting a 3G TL. Very close to TSX size and definitely good enough to use in the short term

The car came in, and I immediately swapped the wheels running RDX on driver side and Volk on the passenger. It was kinda fun. Check out the size difference:

No photos of it, but I got Weathertech trays for the front and rear. They are AWESOME at protecting the carpet. Even better is that for the rear, the mats go over the hump which is great when the kids keep putting their feet on the hump going out the wrong side.

Also maybe two days after getting the wagon, I took it to JP Johnson at Auto Distinctions in Tulsa where it received full 3M Crystalline tint and Ventureshield. Crystalline 40 around all the sides and back and Crystalline 70 on the windshield. Makes a HUGE difference by tinting the windshield. Ventureshield was applied to the hood, bumper, lights, mirrors, rear door sills & plates (kids), rear bumper lip down to diffuser, door edge guards, and behind handles.

Time to shoot the car from both sides and "photoshop" the Tein SS coilovers that were ordered.

RDX

I purchased 245/35/19 Continental DWS to put on the wheels of choice, and against public opinion I went with the Volk (at least for now)

In January, I started to put the suspension on, but we had a mishap with first accidentally putting the left hat on the right side, and then the top nut was overtightened, and then we crushed the top of the rod in trying to loosen it. Eventually I had to just send it back to Tein for a rebuild and wait and wait and wait. I finally got them back beginning of April while I was away for spring break, and then I've been trying to make time since.

May 2, I got the suspension on. Front ball joints were already on in January, but we got the Tein SS coilovers on, Progress rear sway bar, and rear toe link installed and aligned. I took it back to the same spot as the photoshopped image for a quick shot to compare IRL vs PS images. Pretty close I'd say, so if you prefer the RDX above, you'd prefer it IRL as well.

At this point, I need to get the rest of the rear camber kit to fix the camber. I think I decided to drop it further than I initially planned. I'm also getting spacers to get the rears more flush, and I'm now thinking that 10mm should do the trick.

The car was already fairly clean and light was getting good that same evening, so I headed out to get a couple of photos. I hope you enjoy.

Why did I go to this location first getting gravel dust all over the tires and car? UGH! It was to get the golden light.

The mural paint is getting more and more faded, but I still like this location.

8mm fisheye lens standing right next to the car. awesome

finally, the rig shots

This was scary. Nobody in the car, wheels turned, pushing the car around a curve avoiding big concrete columns. I won't do that again.

Alright, so until I get the rears squared and flush, that's it.

See less See more
#8 ·
USA's cleanest wagon.

#10 ·

:laugh: I kid. I know what you're saying, and I knew these comments would come. I understand that the Volk are more divisive, and some just don't like any gold wheels. It turns some people off but appreciate it, and the ones that like them tend to love the look, so just more extreme opinions. The RDX has the universal appeal. I like them both, but I've always wanted gold wheels. I gots them now, and I's gonna flaunt 'em. You know what I can't stand? Dark wheels. The only way I justified mine was that it was a light car with dark wheels for contrast. The only reason I got them was that I was sold on the design and missed out on getting some used silver Work's, and then I saw that Drag was coming out with the knock offs but only in graphite. I loved that wagon....

Anyway, I know from an earlier thread that the RDX wheels proved more universally approved. Now that it's lowered, the Volk just give more pop, and I may even run the flashier set over the summer and put RDX on for the winter months. It's my car over the summer and likely going to my wife in September, so that would be a good time to switch to the cheaper wheels anyways. I'm keeping both sets, so no matter what, they will get their time on the car as well.

#11 ·
After me bringing up the old Saabaru, I felt like doing a little montage of the three different wagons I've had:

I'll try to get out every now and then and get some decent shots, and heck, maybe I'll even throw the RDX wheels back on soon just to see how it looks lowered.

#20 ·
I bought the Saabaru from a guy in Flagstaff, AZ. It already had full exhaust, some kind of ECU tune, and gauges for monitoring. This is how it looked when I got it and added some Raging Moose magnetic emblems to the sides.

I added on Tein SS coilovers and Drag DR31 wheels in 17x9 +38(?) with Kumho ASX 245/40/17. I had to roll and pull all four corners to get the meat stuffed under there, but it was wicked looking and wicked fun. I absolutely loved that car. Sure, I wish it wasn't as econobox of materials, but it had charisma and a bit special in its rarity much like the Volvo and Acura. A certain rarity increases their desirability at least to me. I only sold it when my brother was looking to sell his E36 M3 sedan to make room for an E30 M3. So this is the car that replaced the Saab and became a play car that only gets about 3k miles/yr.

And this is the car that went into my brother's stable for his part time fun car:

This is his daily driver with my sedan. M3 sedans new and old. Both Alpine White, AST suspension, and BBS wheels. Mine has Brembo and his now has Stoptech.

#24 ·
Should/could a mod send this over to the build thread forum? My bad on putting it in the wrong place.

As of today,
Ichiba 10mm spacers....arrived
Ichiba 20mm spacers....arrived
K&N drop in filter....arrived
SPC 3 arm rear alignment....arrived
P2R throttle body spacer....bought on a whim

Now to roll the rear fenders. Wish me luck. *gulp*

#25 ·
Wow, 5/21 when I posted that I had the camber kit & spacers, and I still haven't rolled the fenders to get them on. I'm going to have to get that fixed. In the meantime, I took some photos scouting locations for a different car, and I think it fits this car even better. Angular, architectural, and gold. The rear wheel fitment is still bugging me, so maybe I'll get on it this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.