Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New York Times review of the BMW 5-series (2/17/04):

http://edmunds.nytimes.com/new/2004....html?articleId=101320&tid=nytimes.e.....BMW*

It's a long review. They like the car, but with some quibbles, including a couple that we often hear for the TSX -- disappointing off-the-line power and (mildly) disappointing braking.

The 0-60 time that they got (7.2, manual transmission) I think is exactly the same as the first published time for the TSX; most subsequent times for the TSX have been higher. But, this wasn't the "base" 5-series, it was the 530. For what it's worth, it seems that the base 5-series is no faster than the TSX.

I guess that means if speed is what you want, you don't get the base 5-series. Or even the 530.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
So The New Yawk Times hates the iDrive, too. Somehow I expected they'd be the only journalists on the planet to actually like it.

M5. 500hp V-10. In the Touring version, too. Just the thing for a quick tip to Home Depot for a few bags of cow manure! :)

Also, I read that the twin-turbo 530i model has been resuscitated.

I'd be drooling except I just can't get used to the e60 styling.

Do you think it would look most invisible in white or in matte black?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it is "from" the NY Times! But I know what you mean, and I did see that.

Up top, the article has the NY Times banner. Up on the upper right, it says "in partnership with Edmunds.com." So maybe it was written by Edmunds (I guess it was), but I think it would actually be less accurate in this case to say it's "from Edmunds."

But wait a minute -- what I said was it's a "New York Times review." Maybe that's not right..... Probably it's an Edmunds review that was put in the NY Times. So you got me.

No, on third thought, it's OK how I said it.
If you write a review and it appears in the NY Times, most people would call it a "NY Times Review."

Do I smell a poll coming? :D

·
06 FA Cup Champs
1,106 Posts
Here's some disturbing news from Korea...

The new 5 series won Design of the Year over there.

Junkster, who :puke:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Junkster said:
Here's some disturbing news from Korea...

The new 5 series won Design of the Year over there.

Junkster, who :puke:
Speaking of disturbing news from Korea.....Off the subj, but, for all those years we kept hearing about how Japan was sucking and maybe going down the tubes, no end in sight.

We haven't heard that for a while. Has Japan turned around? It seems like their stock market has been soaring for about a year, although we never hear about that.

Never mind.....I made this a separate thread. :D

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9740#post9740

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
954 Posts
larchmont said:
New York Times review of the BMW 5-series (2/17/04):

http://edmunds.nytimes.com/new/2004....html?articleId=101320&tid=nytimes.e.....BMW*

It's a long review. They like the car, but with some quibbles, including a couple that we often hear for the TSX -- disappointing off-the-line power and (mildly) disappointing braking.

The 0-60 time that they got (7.2, manual transmission) I think is exactly the same as the first published time for the TSX; most subsequent times for the TSX have been higher. But, this wasn't the "base" 5-series, it was the 530. For what it's worth, it seems that the base 5-series is no faster than the TSX.

I guess that means if speed is what you want, you don't get the base 5-series. Or even the 530.
Heh... I'm not sure what the Edmunds test drivers are doing, but they always seem to get crappy acceleration numbers. For their 6-spd TSX full test, they got to 60mph in 8.3 seconds. That's at about 1 full second more than any other magazine review I've seen. So, I guess all things being equal (i.e. same group of testers) that means the 530i is faster.

Anyway, the 525i and 530i seem to be more sedate versions... so their "poor" performance isn't that surprising. It's the lower end of that model... much like the E320... luxurious, but less performance. If you want both, you have to step up to the 545i or E500.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
larchmont said:
OK. Suppose I do a post that's a car review, written by Larchmont and for tsxclub.com, then it gets published in the NY Times.

People would call it a NY Times review, not a Larchmont review and not a tsxclub.com review.

Thank you very much. :D
True, but if people were commenting on the opinions of the NY Times editors in that piece, they would be incorrect. Let's also not forget that 50% of all Americans have a below average IQ ;)

You're welcome :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts