Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been looking at TDI Jettas for a while but eventually realized I didn't have the guts to take that big of a risk. The VW track record just doesn't compare to Honda's. I liked the idea of an Accord but couldn't buy something that ugly and fatherlike...

In my months of research I had occasionaly come across a "buy an acura tsx" comment.. but didn't look much further. Finally, last week I was doing some car pricing on consumerreports and they rated the RSX rather highly - I was surprised at how inexpensive it was.

I went over and test drove the rsx but wasn't overly impressed with it.. the TSX sat there, "Nice.." I thought, "but out of my range.." the more I talked to the dealer the more I realized it was closer than I thought.

I test drove the 6speed manual yesterday morning (having test driven 10 different cars this week) and about half way up the second hill I told my girlfriend "this is the car I'm buying." I did some research and decided on a color (carbon gray, black interior) and started checking out dealers. The third dealership I visited had that exact car and this afternoon I bought it!

I'm still a bit weary, I just have to convice myself that it isn't really THAT much money. It'll be payed off in less than a year and it'll last me well into 100,000miles... and goddamn its fun to drive.

I'm glad to have found these forums... any advice for a new TSX enthusiast?

·
Silver Streak
120 Posts
Welcome to the club, csnoke! You just bought a terrific automobile! Nice choice on trannies, also!

Only advice: drive, drive, drive! The more you do, the more you'll love it.

Enjoy! rrrrrrrrr6

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
csnoke said:
.....any advice for a new TSX enthusiast?
Yes -- keep coming here! :D

That's a great little story. I'm sure a lot of us here recognize your process, including falling in love with the TSX.
I share your opinion of the Accord -- exactly. Even though I'm "fatherlike" myself. :lol:

BTW what did your girlfriend think of all the cars, and your decision to get the TSX?
In fact, what did you think of the other cars, and what were they?

I bet it was an interesting list.

P.S. We just added an RSX to our family a couple of weeks ago, and we're thrilled with that too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
larchmont said:
Yes -- keep coming here! :D

That's a great little story. I'm sure a lot of us here recognize your process, including falling in love with the TSX.
I share your opinion of the Accord -- exactly. Even though I'm "fatherlike" myself. :lol:

BTW what did your girlfriend think of all the cars, and your decision to get the TSX?
In fact, what did you think of the other cars, and what were they?

I bet it was an interesting list.

P.S. We just added an RSX to our family a couple of weeks ago, and we're thrilled with that too.
We also added a RSX-S (Milano Red) to our garage - the wife's car. Fun factor is definitely there - could use some sound dampening though. Larch - any noise from the front right axel heat shield rattling or the platic header cover under the hood making noises?

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
:wavey:
Welcome aboard ! csnoke
Very wise choice - CG/Ebony - like mine :D
Hope you went for the Nav too.

Now you know we have a "rule" here right ? That whoever mentions gf in his very FIRST post has to post pics of her and the car
something like this: :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
:wavey:
Welcome aboard ! csnoke
Very wise choice - CG/Ebony - like mine :D
Hope you went for the Nav too.

Now you know we have a "rule" here right ? That whoever mentions gf in his very FIRST post has to post pics of her and the car.....
Yes, and that undoubtedly is RTG's ride and girl! :rolleyes:

miner said:
We also added a RSX-S (Milano Red) to our garage - the wife's car. Fun factor is definitely there - could use some sound dampening though. Larch - any noise from the front right axel heat shield rattling or the plastic header cover under the hood making noises?
BTW it's an '02 (base, not the "S"). I just test-drove it, but all together we've had it for a few hundred miles, and no such problems yet.

Do you know if those are common problems with RSX's?

P.S. Hmmm, maybe that IS rtg's ride and girl.....

Nah, that ain't no TSX.....

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
johnej said:
congratulations... Paid off in one year must be nice :)
Ditto! Welcome aboard! Wow, I wish I could pay mine off in 1 year...I got a long ways to go till that happens on my TSX.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hah.. I'll see what I can do about photos of her.

Last week I test drove:

Acura RSX (manual & auto) - rigid, small, didn't care for hatchback
Acura TSX (manual &auto) - loved
Honda Accord - didn't care for appearance
Mazda 6 and 3 - ford engine... scary...
Nissan Altima - Too boxy and dull
Scion Tsomething or other - Whoa... the sunroof rattled during the test drive!
Toyota Corolla - lacking inspiration (what my parents drive)
VW Jetta (TDI & 1.8T) - great mpg but lacking reliability
VW Passat - questionable reliability, nicely loaded at ~$5k more than a TSX

Wanted to drive a Mercedes C230... but couldn't get the nerve up to go in. :)

I haven't gotten the chance to read the owners manual yet... probably do that tonight. I need to figure out how to get that rear window to defrost or whatever.. I also need to see if there's some sort of publishing that I can read up about my TSX, engine and maintenance manual... whatever. Anyone know of such a book?

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
well if you're the hands-on type you may want to get the "service manual"
it's like a big thick whitepages ($70) --- ALL the frigging details.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
congrats.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
congrats on your new TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
csnoke said:
Acura RSX (manual & auto) - rigid, small, didn't care for hatchback
Acura TSX (manual &auto) - loved
Honda Accord - didn't care for appearance
Mazda 6 and 3 - ford engine... scary...
Nissan Altima - Too boxy and dull
Scion Tsomething or other - Whoa... the sunroof rattled during the test drive!
Toyota Corolla - lacking inspiration (what my parents drive)
VW Jetta (TDI & 1.8T) - great mpg but lacking reliability
VW Passat - questionable reliability, nicely loaded at ~$5k more than a TSX

Wanted to drive a Mercedes C230... but couldn't get the nerve up to go in. :)
Is that a great list, or is that a great list?

Great write-up too!

Scion Tsomething or other
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting. Actually they're supposed to be quite good.....except we're hearing about "quality" problems. :nervous:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts