Acura TSX Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this issue once. And sometimes when i come to a stop at a red light with my foot on the brake. I feel my brake pedal go slightly down. Brakes are at its hardest on idle. I also assume there might be air in my lines. I hope any of this information helps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As you approach a light after coasting, manifold vacuum increases when the engine returns to idle. Even 1-2 inHg in change will apply that much more vacuum assist giving you that feeling that the pedal moves a little more downward

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 TSX and everytime the weather is below 30F and I don't warm up the car, my brakes fail. I had an emergency a week ago where I had to rush out and the car brakes were stuck and car would not stop for 5 feet finally brakes kicked in. I called Acura Dealer, they said that they've never heard of this happening before and to bring the car in a Tow Truck because I am not to toy with that. I brought the car in today, it's stayed overnight to see if they recreate the issue. On the other hand I am panicking because I don't want to be charged for something I think its a manufacture issue...and God Knows how much the dealer will charge to fix the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP!!!! What kind of Lawyer would i need to get? The dealer says there is no issue, I called the Acura and they had the district manager call me, whom said since there is no issue, there's nothing they can do. They said to bring the car back in cold weather so the issue could be recreated. When i said if I get into a car accident due to brake failure who's fault is going to be, he said mines, because I am driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spent a hour on the phone with acura arguing. They said they can't do anything unless the dealer acknowledges there is a problem. We left it over night in the cold and the dealer didn't see anything. Gave us paperwork saying everything is fine. When I spoke to the mechanic and tried to show him n he pumped on the brakes a couple of times. We ended up selling the car back to acura now they an deal with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update...

I left the car overnight at Acura and they couldn't find anything other that I should get new brakes and tires. I am getting that done on Monday at the dealership. I even spoke to the district manager whom did not show any empathy, anyways, I told him I am going to get the repairs suggested, but if the problem persists I dont want to continue putting my life at risk.

I have a 2012 TSX and everytime the weather is below 30F and I don't warm up the car, my brakes fail. I had an emergency a week ago where I had to rush out and the car brakes were stuck and car would not stop for 5 feet finally brakes kicked in. I called Acura Dealer, they said that they've never heard of this happening before and to bring the car in a Tow Truck because I am not to toy with that. I brought the car in today, it's stayed overnight to see if they recreate the issue. On the other hand I am panicking because I don't want to be charged for something I think its a manufacture issue...and God Knows how much the dealer will charge to fix the issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did they show you that your brake rotors or pads were low? Or did they explain that the pads were faulty?

It sounds a lot like the abs if you are on the pedal and nothing is happening. Unless of course the pads really are used up and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
break freazing

Hi guys same problem on my TSX 2009 the last 2 days were freaky cold here in Montreal (-28°C) I'm shure if going to the dealer they are going to say they never heard about this bla bla bla. Waranty is over so.... I don't know what to do with this beside waiting for warmer days.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
When is the last time the people having issues have changed the fluid?

Moisture gets in brake fluid and moisture freezes.

Honda recommends changing the fluid every two years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2012 TSX Jan 17, 32K miles. After the car sat in the cold over night, the brakes failed first thing in the morning twice. First time I thought I did something wrong. I brought it back to the dealership and thank GOD it was -2°F this morning and they experienced the brake failure and were able to diagnose the problem. The check valve for the booster needs to be replaced.

This is obviously deadly serious dangerous. My dealer's service dept. says this is the first time they've seen this failure. Perhaps it's rare, but it only takes a are quick moment for disaster to strike. Hopeful they've fixed this for good. BUT I will double check my brakes before driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone just want to add some information, I had a separate posting on this issue looking for some answers. I called Acura Canada and they informed me to take it to the dealership. Got a loaner ILX in the meantime. They advised me that they did find a problem with the braking system and have ordered all the required parts for the repair. So my brake pedal being frozen solid on a cold start is NOT normal and indicates a problem with something that I will mention after I get the car back from dealership.

2012 Acura TSX
78,000 km

FYI. It is NOT the first time that the dealerships have heard about these issues, it is a known problem with these cars but it is not common.

·
-
1,574 Posts
I just bought a 2012 TSX Jan 17, 32K miles. After the car sat in the cold over night, the brakes failed first thing in the morning twice. First time I thought I did something wrong. I brought it back to the dealership and thank GOD it was -2°F this morning and they experienced the brake failure and were able to diagnose the problem. The check valve for the booster needs to be replaced.

This is obviously deadly serious dangerous. My dealer's service dept. says this is the first time they've seen this failure. Perhaps it's rare, but it only takes a are quick moment for disaster to strike. Hopeful they've fixed this for good. BUT I will double check my brakes before driving.

Interesting... The check valve for the power brake booster is a vacuum 1-way check valve.
The purpose of the valve is to maintain vacuum in the brake booster during times when the engine is not making vacuum.
It's a small plastic valve and check valve is a rubber flap.
Very cheap and easy to replace.

It must have failed closed so the power assist for the brakes was not working but the brakes were still working.
Without power assist, the brake pedal will not go to the floor but it will take considerable effort for the brakes to take effect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 TSX Frozen Brakes - Back from the Dealer after 2 weeks (Detailed explanation)

Hi everyone,

I too have experienced the "Frozen Brakes" at temperatures below 10 degrees or so - living in Chicago, this has happened many times. Since I have an Acura Extended Warranty, I brought the car to Ed Napleton Acura in Elmhurst, Illinois... and they took this situation very seriously.

Here is the events as they happened - sorry for the long post, but I hope it will assist others deal with this VERY unsafe situation.

First off, I dropped the car off in the late afternoon & I demanded the car sit outside overnight without being touched and that the first person who started it be a Tech or a Service Adviser (I didn't want a porter saying he could not replicate the problem). They allowed me to drive a loaded 2015 MDX while my car was being looked at (pretty nice ride, I must say - got to drive it for 2 weeks :) )

The next morning, they called & stated ... "We definately understand your concern as we had the same frozen brake pedal, unable to firmly stop the car type situation happen to us, until the car reached operating temperature".

They had indicated they had not seen this happen before, so they were going to work with Acura "Tech-line" to troubleshoot the situation.

First thing they did was flush the Brake fluid, thinking that there could be condensation in the fluid or lines which could freeze. I had the fluid changed by them only 6 months ago, but even still they told me it would not be chargable if found not to be the problem... so I said OK (this would have cost $150.00 if it was the problem). It was not the problem - the fluid was clean & fine. After replacing the fluid the problem remained.

A few warm days slowed progress, but they let me drive the MDX as they were working with Acura to resolve & document the problem.

A few more days transpired & they ordered a ""Master Cylinder, a "Brake Assist" and a "Check Valve" receiving guidance from Acura to replace these parts 1 by 1 to determine the failure.

To make a long story short, about another week went by & it has been resolved that the Master Power Check Valve for Brake system was the failed part.

It has been replaced & things are perfect now!!

When I mentioned the amount of posts to my dealer they stated that documenting issues like this is one of the important pieces of info that can lead to TSBs and / or Recalls, but at this time they are still accumulating data.

I wish you all very safe cars & hope my story will allow you to share this experience with your dealers or repair shops in case you have the exact same situation.

I have attached a copy of the invoices & dealer notes for you guys to look at.

Stay warm everyone - not too much longer to spring!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s most likely your rear brake calipers freezing up and not clamping. Some cars, like the TSX, utilize the rear brakes more than the fronts. I know there have been issues with 09-10 brakes in general, but specifically the rear calipers not sliding properly and getting worn unevenly. Accords of the same years have the same problem. Also going along with some cars using rear brakes more than fronts, my 2007 GTI went through rear pads 3X as much as the fronts. By 120k miles, my rear pads had been changed 3 times and the fronts were still original. MKV VW cars were all like that but that’s a different story. Anyways, I’d have the hardware changed on your rear pads and have the slider pins on the calipers re-lubed. If it still doesn’t help, I’d have your rear brake calipers replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this problem last winter then I changed the brake fluid and the brake is working so far so good this winter

21 - 35 of 35 Posts