Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im planning on replacing my rotors & pads both front and rear... ive been looking at brembo rotors and some HPS pads... any of you guys have any comments on these?? or any suggestions on another set up?... ive heard that HPS squeek a little n dust like crazy... but still think they are worth it.

Any advise would be great! :D

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
I had brembo blanks and hawk hps pads on my previous car (i35, FWD and 4 disc ABS as well).

Heres my opinions:

The brembo blanks are one of the best, and I mean BEST rotors for the money. Seeing others go through centric/bendix/duralast/napa etc. rotors ALL of them had warping issues that needed re machining BRAND NEW! The blanks are your best bet. ISO certified, they did their job well. Only thing I wish they came with was a painted/cyro treated hub...the centers start to rust. Nothing some high heat paint cant fix :). Best of all they're very competitively priced.

As for the hawks:

I wish I could say the same. While a great upgrade in terms of braking power from OEM, the cold start grinding noise, the embarrassing squealing and the dusting above all, made me hate these pads. I told myself the dust wouldn't bother me (the added braking power was worth the dust), but man, after a few months it was unbearable..all it took was an hour of city driving for my rims to become black..I absolutely hated it. And the dust wasn't easy to wash off either.

If I had to do it again (which I will since my tsx rotors are cooked to death), I'd get Brembo blanks all around, OEM pads or Akebono PROAct pads..

Cliffs: I too thought Hawk pads were worth it, however THEY ARE NOT, especially if you like a clean car and handwash it lol.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Just looked up tire rack prices, 4 blanks and a front/rear set of proACT pads will run you $311. Great price for a reliable setup that should give slightly better braking results. Make sure to put in some fresh brake fluid and bleed the system, the car will brake better than new!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ thanks for your input!

yeah thats the downside! i wash my car n take a long time so itll come out good to drive 15 min n have black rims!

anybody ever heard of Advics pads? my friend recommended them but i havent really heard of them.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
the new hawk blue ones don't grind or dust like the other/older ones
and aren't the new brembo blanks made in china now?

i've been debating what brake set up to go with for a long time now and i just really question the quality of china made rotors... so i think i'm going to go with MSport rotors, even though they are drilled i haven't heard of anyone cracking them yet, my friend runs them on his older carrera without any problems so far and they are guaranteed/warranted not to crack ... but who really goes checking for microfractures on a daily basis!
but this is the best one i could come up with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts