Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been having a slight problem when braking to a stop...maybe someone can help me on this..

Sometimes as I'm slowing down to a stop, it feels like the car is nudging itself to a stop. Almost like the brake pad is catching the rotor periodically. I thought the rotors were warped, but the problem only happens every once in a while. All the other times I get a smooth stop. I took my car in last week to have the rotors checked and they said they were fine, no sign of warped rotors. Would my brake pads cause this problem at all? If I take her in again, service said they'd have to keep the car overnight to try to figure out what the problem is. So just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what may be causing this.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
I think that's a classic symptom of two things. Wet brakes or overheating brakes.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Could well be what Mark said, but, if what you're talking about is when you're coming to a sharper-than-usual stop, I think I know the answer.
For a change. :D
Maybe.

I think it's the ABS kicking in -- maybe what I talked about the other day on the "Antilock brakes" thread about what happens if you don't use the ABS the way it's supposed to be used:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11706#post11706

It sounds exactly like what happens to me when I'm stopping sharper than usual and when the ABS kicks in -- especially when I'm using the "regular/old-fashioned" way of braking as opposed to the ABS way.

The "regular" way was to sort of pump the brakes. With ABS you're supposed to maintain steady pressure, which goes against our old habits.

BTW it doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it wrong -- it could just be the ABS kicking in normally.

Could that be it, TRU?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wet brakes as in literally wet brakes/driving in rain? If so, I actually don't recall it happening when I drove in the rain a couple days ago.

I definately don't feel the pulsation when I make a sharp stop. It seems to only happen when I'm coasting to a stop. Would ABS still kick in for that?

It could quite possibly be overheating brakes cause I don't start feeling it till after a couple of stops. How would I fix overheating brakes?

Here's a silly question, would certain roads cause my car to do this also?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
If it's only when you're coasting to a stop, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have anything to do with the ABS.

I think we're stumped as of now, because I don't think overheating is likely either, from what you say -- don't see how that could happen from "a couple of stops."

Would certain roads cause it? Don't think so -- unless it's a steep downgrade? (If even that.)

Unless somebody else comes on with an answer (or real good theory), I think your best bet would be to really nail down what brings it on, so that you could demonstrate it to your service guy.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm gonna take her in next week...it's just baffling the ever loving crap outta me. I'll experiment on it this weekend and try to figure out when it will do this so I can hopefully reproduce it to the service guy.
Thanks for your help guys!!

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Sounds like warped rotors to me (even tho they said it wasn't). My old Maxima was notorious for warped rotors -- two new sets of rotors, and at least five or six turnings over two-three year period -- and my car did the same thing. Sometimes, depending on the speed, you couldn't feel them gripping, and other times you could in the classic pulsating-warped-rotors way. Possibly they aren't warped enough to feel at higher speeds, but you can notice it during lazier stops? Maybe a second opinion is in order?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I can only feel it during lazier stops. Definately don't feel it at high speeds though. If they can't figure out what the problem is, I'm going to have them replace the rotors and pads then see what happens.
Along the lines of what you said, maybe it's a warped section where you can feel it when applying a certain pressure on the brakes, otherwise it feels smooth. I like the second opinion idea...thanks Ferg.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I Have experienced the same exact problem, first i though it was the road, then i looked at the rotors(seemed fine), and then i took the car for another spin, it was fine. So at this point i dont know what to make of it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, back to the drawing board. :donno:

Anybody else think it could just be the ABS?
(Although what he describes doesn't seem to fit that either.)

P.S. Hey netoperek, good to see you! Been a while, right?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Larchmont, yeah i've been busy for while, lots of work (Computer Support) i had only time to view few posts not reply to them. Anyway, i remember reading something that desrcribed a similar problem and it was a premature wear or a rotor. Again i dont believe that this is the case here because it seems intermittent. If i had to put my money on this i would say its the way that brake pads and rotors allign.

G

·
TSX 'R' US said:
Wet brakes as in literally wet brakes/driving in rain? If so, I actually don't recall it happening when I drove in the rain a couple days ago.

I definately don't feel the pulsation when I make a sharp stop. It seems to only happen when I'm coasting to a stop. Would ABS still kick in for that?

It could quite possibly be overheating brakes cause I don't start feeling it till after a couple of stops. How would I fix overheating brakes?

Here's a silly question, would certain roads cause my car to do this also?
I think it could be the road. we have many roads around town where they have been "warped" from heavy trucks. when i break on those roads it causes my steering wheel to shake as if my rotors are warped. but its not because it doesnt shake on smooth roads.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Actually, I think I may have had similar problem. I think its the VSA? Firm stops, nowhere near lockup. Sort of a buzz grind pulse thing.

Can't remember what the conditions were, but maybe a wheel slippin or slidin.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok...I found a nice somewhat steep hill by my house and decided to coast down using my brakes to stay at a constant tortise speed... I noticed the problem both times I tried it..just feels like warped rotors. I tried it backwards and didn't notice it. So I'm back to square one...being confused. I'm going to try my brakes on some newley fresh paved roads tomorrow and see what happens.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok..time to revive this thread...

As I posted on another thread, the dealership where I bought my TSX from told me it was my transmission downshifting... Which they fail to realize and acknowledge that I have only 5 gears..at least that what I swear I have. So this past weekend I took my car up to Zimbrick Acura in Madison to have them take a look at it. They too found nothing, but they were willing to try something out and help find a solution...instead of blaming it on something. They ended up resurfacing my rotors...and so far I have not felt the nudging to a stop. So...sound like warped rotors?

Oh yeah, they even rotated my tires for free and turned off my maint. Req'd light as well. :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
......I took my car up to Zimbrick Acura in Madison....They too found nothing, but they were willing to try something out and help find a solution...instead of blaming it on something. They ended up resurfacing my rotors...and so far I have not felt the nudging to a stop. So...sound like warped rotors?.....
Well, I guess it does!

Sounds like they did great for you. Hopefully it's all good now.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
larchmont said:
Well, I guess it does!

Sounds like they did great for you. Hopefully it's all good now.
Yeah...braking is nice and smooth... Almost like new...now if I can get my moonroof to stop ticking.. :D
After the service from there, I kinda wished I would've checked out their dealership when I was shopping around.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Yeah...braking is nice and smooth... Almost like new...now if I can get my moonroof to stop ticking.. :D
After the service from there, I kinda wished I would've checked out their dealership when I was shopping around.

Hey TRU, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, after reading through it, my first reaction was brake pad contamination, oil, grease or similar. Based on the solution, sounds possible?

As for the sunroof ticking, can you describe, is it the sunshade or the slide mechanism? Is the noise when the roof is open or closed, make a note of the sunshade position when it occurs. When it starts up again, put your hand on the sunshade and try to press it in different directions and see if has an effect?

In previous Accords, the sunshades would develop a rattle over time due to retractor mechanism becoming loose or make clicking noises due differing material expansion rates that were temperature related.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hip said:
Hey TRU, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, after reading through it, my first reaction was brake pad contamination, oil, grease or similar. Based on the solution, sounds possible?

As for the sunroof ticking, can you describe, is it the sunshade or the slide mechanism? Is the noise when the roof is open or closed, make a note of the sunshade position when it occurs. When it starts up again, put your hand on the sunshade and try to press it in different directions and see if has an effect?

In previous Accords, the sunshades would develop a rattle over time due to retractor mechanism becoming loose or make clicking noises due differing material expansion rates that were temperature related.
Hmm...I'm not sure about contamination....possibly?

Sunroof ticking... It only started happening around 5k miles or so.. I hear it when my sunroof is closed or tilted up. I don't really hear it when I have it opened (will investigate when it doesn't look like it's going to rain outside). Happens when sunshade is also open, or slightly opened...cracked, etc. I think it's because the sunshade is muffling the sound. I can hear it faintly sometimes with the sunshade closed (and can hear it sometimes also). It almost sounds like whenever there is a horizontal force (left/right) acted on the car when I hit a bump that it ticks. I don't hear it at all when I hit a bump dead center vertically. (hope that was understandable)

I've tried playing around with the sunshade, applying 303/vynolex on the seal of the sunroof..and still happens. Though my dealer did add insulation behind my sunroof, but that didnt' help either. I think I may try stuffing some towels or somehting between the sunshade and the roof and see if is the sunshade rattling around there. Let me know if you have more suggestions/tests.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts