Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was installing my Buddy Club N+ coilovers yesterday but couldnt get my rear coilovers installed.

The issue was I couldn't remove the sway bar end links. I used a #14 socket but it just kept turning. ( Not sure of the exact # now but it was the correct one for the nut.)

Any words of advice on how to get the rear coilovers off? I already removed my rear seat portion that was needed to remove the top hat bolts.

I just can't get the coilovers off with the sway bar end links in the way....

·
Addicted
322 Posts
^^^ if he's talking about what im thinking about.. then i dont think you needed to use a socket to hold it. the fastener nut should be welded to the frame.

but, if you are turning something and it just keeps spinning that is a very good indicator that something else needs to be held at the same time.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
^^^ if he's talking about what im thinking about.. then i dont think you needed to use a socket to hold it. the fastener nut should be welded to the frame.

but, if you are turning something and it just keeps spinning that is a very good indicator that something else needs to be held at the same time.
we're just speculating at this point. Pictures would help.

I just remember for the sway bar end links, you gotta insert an allen wrench on one side and then use a socket wrench to spin while keeping the allen wrench in place so that the nut doesnt just keep spinning without getting loose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I just remember for the sway bar end links, you gotta insert an allen wrench on one side and then use a socket wrench to spin while keeping the allen wrench in place so that the nut doesnt just keep spinning without getting loose.

I didnt think there was anything on the other end of the sway bar endlinks for the allen wrench? Or maybe I just didnt look close enough.

Obviously I was supposed to use something else on the other side so it would break the nut loose; just didnt know what...

I dont have pictures as my car is back to stock in the rear right now so I can drive it.

Already have my fronts installed and that was a breeze.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
All you need is an Allen key and 14mm box end wrench. Stick the Allen into the end of the endlink, then hold it in place while you use the wrench to turn the nut. Its really simple.

From my DIY. Hold threaded part with the allen inserted in the middle and then use the wrench to turn the nut.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All you need is an Allen key and 14mm box end wrench. Stick the Allen into the end of the endlink, then hold it in place while you use the wrench to turn the nut. Its really simple.

From my DIY. Hold threaded part with the allen inserted in the middle and then use the wrench to turn the nut.
I dont remember seeing the allen wrench portion of the end links?

you can also use a vice grip on the other end and just hold it in place with that.
I will try this for sure.

·
Addicted
322 Posts
i have to disagree... the bottom of the coilover fastens like so for me...

left side

right side

no need for an allen key.... or am i missing something? i just lowered my car again today, took the entire coilover out practically and re installed.... never saw a need for an allen key.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i have to disagree... the bottom of the coilover fastens like so for me...

no need for an allen key.... or am i missing something? i just lowered my car again today, took the entire coilover out practically and re installed.... never saw a need for an allen key.
I believe the OP is talking about the bolt on the end link not the LCA. If this bolt (end link) is seized, then there's a simple work around. Take the bolt out that is holding your current shock and spring on the LCA. Take out the bolt on the top hat (you will have to remove sides on the rear seats to access these bolts). Go underneath the car and remove the two bushings (four bolts in total) that tie your rear sway bar to the frame of the car (this will allow you to push the disc and LCA down enough to take the shock and spring combo out. Get a friend to step down on the disc until you have enough room to maneuver the shock and spring assembly out of the wheel well. Install the coilover, bolt it down, but before you decide to bolt down the bushings on the sway bar, repeat the steps above on the other side.

·
Addicted
322 Posts
like tekneed said, we are all just speculating... this guys needs to get back on the forum and tell us whats going on.... i literally unbolted one bolt to take the coilover off. its not that difficult, shouldnt require this much attention.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't use a vice grip, do it the right way. The threaded part of the endlink is hallow and fits an allen key into it. Some cars the nut comes off and you never thought you even need an allen, thats why you don't remember seeing it.
Yes- I used the allen key/wrench and it worked. Thanks!

I believe the OP is talking about the bolt on the end link not the LCA. If this bolt (end link) is seized, then there's a simple work around. Take the bolt out that is holding your current shock and spring on the LCA. Take out the bolt on the top hat (you will have to remove sides on the rear seats to access these bolts). Go underneath the car and remove the two bushings (four bolts in total) that tie your rear sway bar to the frame of the car (this will allow you to push the disc and LCA down enough to take the shock and spring combo out. Get a friend to step down on the disc until you have enough room to maneuver the shock and spring assembly out of the wheel well. Install the coilover, bolt it down, but before you decide to bolt down the bushings on the sway bar, repeat the steps above on the other side.
Used the allen key, but on my buddys tsx; this is what we had to do.

like tekneed said, we are all just speculating... this guys needs to get back on the forum and tell us whats going on.... i literally unbolted one bolt to take the coilover off. its not that difficult, shouldnt require this much attention.
Sorry, I been busy. I tried unbolting the bolt but it wouldn't come off. It just kept turning; so the allen key/wrench worked.

The suspension is on now and one word is DAMN- with these coils u can lower it to the point where it is un-drive able.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts