Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our TSX for 2 weeks now. I tried 2 burned CD's, one created from iTunes and the other from MusicMatch. Neither worked. The display just says "Disc." I used HP CDR's if that makes any difference. Anybody have any ideas? Does CDR's work in your TSX's? What program and media are you using to burn them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried Nero 5.5.7.2 and it still doesn't work. I thought it might have to do with the color on the bottem of the CDR. The HP's were blue. I decided to try some Office Depot ones that were silver on the bottem like regular music CD's but that still doesn't work. Hasn't anybody else tried burned CD's in their TSX?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Cd-R work great in my TSX. u might want to try nero burning rom .......and use slower speed like 8X . One more thing don't use cheap CD-R those never work. I use TDK or Sony for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried again burning with iTunes with Imation CDR and it worked fine. I found in another forum that other people experienced problems also. What they did was hit Seek to go to the next track and it would work. Then they could go back to track 1 if they wanted. Next time I'll also try burning at a slower speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bloopie said:
I tried again burning with iTunes with Imation CDR and it worked fine. I found in another forum that other people experienced problems also. What they did was hit Seek to go to the next track and it would work. Then they could go back to track 1 if they wanted. Next time I'll also try burning at a slower speed.
I have to do the exact same thing (hit Seek to Track 2) and I have 6 burned CD's in my car right now. I have to do that procedure about 50% of the time. You can go back and the 1st track will usually pick up immediately. I am not sure what the problem is though.

I am using Nero 6 with a Lite-On 52x burner. I get the best results when burning at 4x or lower. It takes longer but the reliability is better on a music CD. I burn all data CD's at the max speed though. I have three different burners and all of the burned CD's do the same thing in the changer.

For MP3's I only use Memorex silver backed CD's rated at 48x, decode using Monkey's Audio, and encode at 320k using RazorLame 115. I primarily burn using Nero for music and several otehr progrmas for ISO's and data. I use EAC v0.95 to rip regular CD's that I already own.

For whatever the reason, the CD player is sensitive to burned media. Perhaps Acura is a RIAA sponser
:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
No problem with CD-R or CD-RW here, even the cheap Ritek media. I have one RW that needs the track 2 trick. I used that trick on a Sony head unit too, so it's not isolated to the Panasonic unit in the TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Bloopie said:
We've had our TSX for 2 weeks now. I tried 2 burned CD's, one created from iTunes and the other from MusicMatch. Neither worked. The display just says "Disc." I used HP CDR's if that makes any difference. Anybody have any ideas? Does CDR's work in your TSX's? What program and media are you using to burn them?
Don't know if this directly applies to your question but it may be related. Just brought my TSX in to the dealer for a similar CD problem. The issue wasn't with burned CDs but with commercial CDs.

Every once in a while my player would stop and display "DISC" too. At first I thought it was temperature dependent as it seemed to happen more frequently when the outside temp went below 65 degrees. After trying several batches of older CDs there was no reason to believe they were the problem.

The player in the TSX must be sensitive to how round or concentric the disc is. All these discs have been played often in my Accords and Ody on their factory changers and decks without problem. For some reason the TSX deck seems to be more sensitive to the concentricity of the discs.

The service tech was pretty sharp and found what appears to be the root cause. When he located a bad disc that wouldn't play, he pointed out a slight 'scratching" noise coming from inside the deck as it rotated. It's very faint and it usually continues as "DISC" is flashing in the display. After moving the bad disc to different position, it did the same thing. In this batch of 6 discs, there was one that wouldn't work. In another batch, there were 3.

The most logical reason seems to be related to the "elevator" mechanism that moves the 6 discs inside the deck. The accuracy for it to align properly must be really precise. I've tried to experiment with commercial and burned CDs (not MP3s) and it's hit or miss depending on the disc.

I may buy some different brand of discs and burn copies on each brand to see if any are better or worse?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bloopie said:
What they did was hit Seek to go to the next track and it would work. Then they could go back to track 1 if they wanted.
I have an Accord Euro. I have the same experience as above. Don't know the reason. It happens to about 60% of my CD-Rs. But again, the same CD may work on one day, but won't work on the next day. By the way, I use Nero 5.5 to burn CD-R.

·
Registered
23 Posts
cheerful_ppl said:
I have an Accord Euro. I have the same experience as above. Don't know the reason. It happens to about 60% of my CD-Rs. But again, the same CD may work on one day, but won't work on the next day. By the way, I use Nero 5.5 to burn CD-R.
Make sure you guys are selecting "no multisession." It solves half the problems you guys are having. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never burn cds above 16x, unless it's data. In my career of burning cds, the faster you burn them, the easier they are to scratch and skip. I have CDRs that were burned at 2x from 5 years ago and they still work flawlessly. I used to burn at 16x, but now, I make all my music CDs at 8x. At 16x, a little scratch on the CD will make the CD skip.

·
Registered
285 Posts
All my burnt cds were copied at 48X and they all work fine in the TSX.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
I also think that the problem has more to do with the brand of the CD more so than the burning software and the speed at which it was burnt. I'm not sure if there is truth to this but I've read that black CD-Rs are the best followed by blue, green, followed by silver.

I use Nero to burn TDK and Imation CD-R at full speed (32X). Never had problems on my TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I don't know anything whatsoever about this subject, but since we're closing in on 9000 posts, I thought I'd chime in with nothing in particular. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
They work - it just takes time

I went through this a few times until I finally figured it out (and tossed 5 "bad" cd's out in the process):

1. Insert burned CD

2. "DISC" blinks

3. Keep hitting seek

4. Eventually, after 1 minute or so, it finally "takes hold"

After this, the burned CD always works. I can't explain why, it just works.

CDs burned with Roxio 5 at 24x.

-mj

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Neat info.

Sounds as if the CD player "learns" to tweak itself until it gets it right.

Bless ya for having enough patience to keep pressing SEEK for a whole minute. :)

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
70 Posts
I think the age/quality of the CD writer being used is also a big factor. If you're using an old, budget CD writer, chances are its recording laser will not be as strong and/or precise as it used to be when new. Burning at a slower speed helps minimize this problem. Cheaper media and sensitive CD players magnify the problem.

For example, a friend of mine has an old laptop - it's CD drive can no longer read any of his burned CDs. However, he tried a burned CD made from my writer on cheap media, and the laptop was able to read it just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts