Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I cannot find a mechanic who seems to know what is going on here. I have 185k miles, 2004 tsx. It's been burning oil for 2 years and steadily getting worse. A quart or more every thousand miles. replaced pcv valve. engine light on due to bad catalytic converter...maybe from unused oil? small ticking/knocking noise that is louder when cold. otherwise runs great. never had timing chain inspected or worked on. never had valve guides checked or anything in the engine checked for that matter. After reading the posts it seems that there are some people on here that are smarter than my mechanics. Please help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
1) Valve Seals
2) Piston rings (Blow by)

If you mech cant figure that out you should go else where...

You can test this with a compression test and a leakdown test. I have bad valve seals and i use about 1/4 of a quart per 3k. How much oil do you use?

·
-
1,695 Posts
Oil doesn't evaporate so you are either leaking engine oil or burning it.

If you are not leaking oil, your engine is burning it even if you cannot see any blue smoke. Likely the catalytic converter is eliminating most of the blue smoke & simply collecting the oil vapors.

Check the inside of your tailpipes if they are black oily or greasy.
This will tell you if you are burning any oil.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Oil doesn't evaporate so you are either leaking engine oil or burning it.

If you are not leaking oil, your engine is burning it even if you cannot see any blue smoke. Likely the catalytic converter is eliminating most of the blue smoke & simply collecting the oil vapors.

Check the inside of your tailpipes if they are black oily or greasy.
This will tell you if you are burning any oil.
Good point +1 ill also add this: take your finger rub the inside of your exhaust tip (dont be shy about it) than smear it on a painted smooth surface (like your waxed bumper) if it smears your burning a decent amount of oil.

In my case it does not smear but I do not use that much oil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.