Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forum. Joined forum after we decided to abandon our plan to buy a 2010 528i in favor of a 2006-2008 TSX for my wifes 90 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. As an aside please comment on your personal experience of the comfort on long trips in your TSX. My real questions have to do with whether I should be looking at the TSXs with navigation or not.

The first thing I have done with all the cars Ive ever purchased is replace the head unit as soon as possible with a sub/amp and sometimes door/deck speakers/amp right after. The newest vehicle Ive ever owned is in my current possession. A 2004 LR Discovery which does not have any integrated stereo parts other than a factory amp which I bypassed. Headunit was no problem and a dash kit was available. None of my other cars have had any aftermarket stereo integration problems.

My ultimate goal would be to have bluetooth, on-headunit iPod control and display, GPS, subwoofer(s) and amp, car door/deck speakers and amp, rear view camera, DVD while in motion capabilities, time alignment, auto EQ, etc. Im not sure how much of this can be piggy backed onto the factory unit like my Kenwood KVT-719DVD in my Discovery which does all of the above.

Ive noticed a lot of new cars are going to this cluster f**k system in the dash board where a single or double din standard belong, including, sadly, the TSX. Ive done a little searching but I want some definitive answers on these specific questions...

1. Is the factory navigation(GPS) system subscription based or is it free?

2. Is the factory navigation(GPS) system worth a shit? Dont care about traffic info.

3. Can I add an aftermarket stereo with the above mentioned capabilities to a 06-08 TSX without factory navigation and without making custom panels and still retain all factory controls and functions?

4. Can I do the above with a factory navigation car? In other words to do the above should I get a Navi or non-Navi TSX?

5. Can I integrate an aftermarket subwoofer, amps and speakers to a factory Navigation TSX without issue?

6. Can I do the above AND add or does it already have bluetooth, on-headunit iPod control and display, a rear view camera, DVD-in-motion capability and an aftermarket solution to adjust for time alignment, auto EQ, etc.?

7. Is the Navigation unit touchscreen?

·
Registered
332 Posts
1 free disc based, annual updates $99-150

2. It works, but not outstanding by any means.

3. yes

4. Nope, hvac controls are built into it, replacement would be bad.

5. yes, line level off the rears or there are some adapters to replace factory amp.

6. No clue, but there is a easy hack to add backup camera to it. 06-08 do have bluetooth but phone only no audio support. Rear cam hack can be exploited for dvd use too but the screens not the greatest.

7. yes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To follow up on 3.

"3. Can I add an aftermarket stereo with the above mentioned capabilities to a 06-08 TSX without factory navigation and without making custom panels and still retain all factory controls and functions?"

So if I had a 06-08 non-navigation TSX I can pull the factory stereo and buy and install an aftermarket double din dash kit and stereo in the factory radio location?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. So I found a pretty decent picture tutorial of someone attempting to do this and it doesnt look possible. Not with the circuit boards being integrated like they are.

Im not down for putting it at the bottom of the dash in that cubby spot. I guess we're stuck with the factory stereo with aftermarket speaker and amp upgrades, right? I guess I should get a navi TSX. Honda really dropped the ball here.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Personally, I think for longer trips, I would get a TL. TSX is fun to drive and on the sporty side but I have to constantly correct the car on the highway more often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion on the TL. I originally considered the TL but the gas mileage hit was too much because of all the driving she does. Plus I hate the idea of a transverse mounted engine larger than 4 cylinders in anything with an engine bay more narrow than a Hatteras and shorter than the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile. I work on my vehicles myself and thats way too much going on in such a small space.

The 528i is an inline-6 longitudinally-mounted and the TSX is a 4 banger. Lots of room to work on both.

I think Ill have to go with a navi TSX with something like an Audison Bit One to add my amps and speakers. So then what about...

1. Adding the rear view camera to the navi TSX? You say hack. Got a link?

2. DVD capability to the navi TSX? So the passengers can watch movies on long trips.

3. Does the factory navi have iPod display capabilities and is it any good? Anyone know of a picture of this display on the net so I can get an idea of how many lines of text, etc? Is the iPod display also touchscreen and voice command?

4. What is meant by, "06-08 do have bluetooth but phone only no audio support"?

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Means to say you can make/receive calls (voice/audio) through your vehicle's Bluetooth, but you cannot use it to play music from your iPhone (etc) via Bluetooth.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion on the TL. I originally considered the TL but the gas mileage hit was too much because of all the driving she does. Plus I hate the idea of a transverse mounted engine larger than 4 cylinders in anything with an engine bay more narrow than a Hatteras and shorter than the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile. I work on my vehicles myself and thats way too much going on in such a small space.

The 528i is an inline-6 longitudinally-mounted and the TSX is a 4 banger. Lots of room to work on both.

I think Ill have to go with a navi TSX with something like an Audison Bit One to add my amps and speakers. So then what about...

1. Adding the rear view camera to the navi TSX? You say hack. Got a link?

2. DVD capability to the navi TSX? So the passengers can watch movies on long trips.

3. Does the factory navi have iPod display capabilities and is it any good? Anyone know of a picture of this display on the net so I can get an idea of how many lines of text, etc? Is the iPod display also touchscreen and voice command?

1. answered above.
2. navi don't support it.
3. no ipod capability, but you can install aftermarket add-ons like GROM or others.
4. answered above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man oh man. The stereo really sucks on this thing. Sounds like there is a lot of extra stuff I would have to buy/install/modify just to do what I could do if Honda hadnt decided to get cute with the tried, true and standardized stereo configuration that has been used for years in just about every vehicle prior to about 2006, without fail.

If the rest of the car didnt fit the bill so well that would be enough to say, thanks, but no thanks.

1. I searched through the stickies in the forum, must have missed it. Link was great. Read it. Does it work for the navi TSX or just the non-navi?

2. Can you buy an aftermarket solution to add to the navi TSX that would allow DVDs to play through the navi screen as well as control and menu display through the navi screen?

3. More crap to buy. Are there aftermarket solutions for iPod support for the TSX that allow iPod display and control through the navi and factory buttons and steering wheel controls?

4. Yeah, that was a good answer. Wasnt even thinking about playing music through iPod bluetooth since my iPod doesnt have bluetooth. I prefer hard wired connections anyway for ulitmate SQ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts