Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to this website, though I have been reading posts for quite some time now.
I am looking to buy a new TSX. It will be my first car purchase. It is a 2005 base model with 6MT and close to 91k miles. The dealer is selling it for 11.5k(includes everything - fees, sales tax etc.). It felt pretty strong during the test drive, clutch felt superb & interiors looked pretty decent. However, my only concern is that the car has some rust under the hood. There is a minor chip off (smaller than a 5 cent coin but he says he would cover it up).
I have read different opinions so I am not sure if I should be worried. I would appreciate if I could get any advice on the rust issue - is the car not worth it due to this, can I get it fixed on my own, does it indicate flooding or salvage which is not mentioned in carfax (the carfax states it as a clean vehicle). I am sure other members' experience will be invaluable to me.

I have uploaded some pictures on flickr & the link for the same is:
Flickr: marinertsx's Photostream

Thanks so much for.

·
Registered
40 Posts
looks like a car that spent some time near the ocean or in salt truck area. Not necessarily bad but it takes points off since it doesnt look like it is more than skin deep. My jeep had more and it didnt care a bit. On that note I didnt tolerate any on my tsx when i bought it since this is my nice clean car.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Check in the trunk where the spare tire is supposed to be at. If you see rust in there, it's a good sign the car's been in a flood. I once saw a car like that when I was looking for used cars and immediately walked away.

·
, Administrator, TOTM Coordinator
6,858 Posts
:/ I say keep looking.

TSX's are still too new to settle for one w/ rust in the engine bay..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys for your advice. I really appreciate it.

1. I did not check the trunk but I will definitely do so tomorrow. Apart from that, do you think it is a good buy at this price (11.5k) if there is no rust in the trunk. Dealer will not come down below this.
2. If I get it, can it last 2-3 years without the rust creating problems and without losing the car losing much value in terms of resale price.
3. Can I fix the rust issue because from what I am reading, it is only going to get worse over time and cannot be arrested without spending a significant amount (c. $ 1K).
4. I have an option of another car that is pretty decently maintained. Its the same TSX model minus the rust. The only draw back is that it has done approx. 105k miles or 13k miles more than this but costs almost $ 1k less too. The good part is that the 100k service (comprehensive) has been carried out but the bad part is the extra miles because I wont be driving more than 8k a year. From your experience, will the latter be a better option.

Thanks.

·
ReD + Devil
352 Posts
Dont hesitate on the one with some more miles, if its clean. Handful of guys on here with over 200k miles. I have 133k on my '04 6mt and some mods and daily it, no problems besides the ac compressor breaking open. Whatever one you do look at, make sure the ac works, and the radio cluster lights all work. I know its usually a problem in '04 but you dont know if you might have an early '05 model on your hands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey. Thanks a ton. I guess I will pass over the vehicle with rust issues and look at the other ones. Thanks again. I really do appreciate your useful comments.

·
Registered
714 Posts
you wana try living in england! :laugh:

our cars are made of rust lmao :laugh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the note guys. But somehow after reading the first few posts about rusting, I kinda made my mind against the car. I am looking at a few more deals and one car with 107k (for $10k) looks pretty nice - no rust and tons of maintenance records at Acura dealership. Going by the posts, it should last me many many miles :)
I was also able to locate TL's (2004 and 2005) with less than 90k on the for about 12.5k and am seriously considering them too though after going through the forums I realize TSX is way ahead in terms of handling.
However, I have another quick question. I saw a 2005 TSX with 74k miles selling for 13k. It was purchased from Carmax in 2010 so it makes me sure that it was taken care of really really well. Moreover, it just had a thorough 75K bumper to bumper inspection. However, 13k is on the upper side of KBB and NADA and way above (~3k Edmunds). Will you guys ever pay such a steep price for a 7 year old TSX? Again, many thanks for your replies. Your comments have been really helpful. Cheers

·
Registered
205 Posts
I paid 13k for my TSX 4 years ago with 73k miles on it. I dont know If I would pay that now for one. I do love the car. And it's never asked me for anything more then basic maintenance.

2 things that make me walk away from any car.

1. Rust of any kind. Rust can make a simple task turn into something time consuming and more expensive.
2. Any wreck of any kind.

If im paying good money for a car. I want it good to go. I dont want someone else's mess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, Thanks for your note. You got an aweosme deal at 13k. Maybe that is because it was before recession when people preferred buying newer cars because it is impossible to find one with so little mileage on it now. But point taken. Cheers

·
ReD + Devil
352 Posts
My 04 Tsx I scored for 8200 with 125k miles in January, private sale. Black/Black 6spd, ac didnt work, radio lights didnt work, small crack in the rear bumper. Now has 133k miles. I got a killer deal.

Got my 04 TL for 15000 a year ago, with 39k miles, from a Subaru dealer. Black/Tan Automatic. Now has 53k miles. Both are super cars. Not sure where your located, but Im in Upstate Ny, just to give you a pricing idea.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
Pricing is going to vary a lot depending on where you live. I wouldn't worry about rust on stuff like brackets, and hose clamps; especially if it's seen a few winters.

The main rust spots to check for are rear quarter panels, door seams, gas tank filler area, inner trunk, underbody, etc... Rust on the front lip of the hood seems to be a problem for tsx's and 6th gen accords as well.

I had an 2008 tsx loaner and that car already had rust bubbling up on both rear door seams, and in the gas tank filler area... Unacceptable for a 4 year old car even though it has been driven in the winter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got my 2006 TSX last year with similar mileage and price (but auto and navi). The only flaw was the front bumper showing signs of neglect and caked on bug buildup from the previous owner.

My first car was a 1995 Chevy Caprice my parents got me back in 2003, it had some surface rust in the undercarriage back then.. I still have the car in a garage, but today the undercarriage on that car has a lot of surface rust, and minor rust popping up in other areas. I don't drive that car much anymore. Once the rust starts, it will spread. Now I know that any rust in the undercarriage, doors jambs, or where exposed metal body panels/parts, seals, rubber meet is something serious.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a ton guys for your replies. And congratulations ReDevil for your awesome purchases. I hope I get a similar car that lasts me a couple of years. I been bugging everyone for a while but I need help with one last issue. I am getting an awesome deal with a TL. I know its a TSX forum and I will probably get bashed for it but the TSX's that I am looking at are priced way above the fair value listed on Edmunds. Now, I found a good looking 2006 TL with just 72k miles, clean title and 6MT, priced at 12k. The car has been sparingly used for the last 7 months (driven just 3 times for small distances) and kept in a garage the other times. I have gone through forums and read about the problems with garaged cars - oil settling down, rubber wasting away, condensation in tank. I am gonna have the car inspected thoroughly before I buy it but is there anything that I should be particularly careful about. It has had the oil replaced once in the last one year and thats about all the maintenance carried out. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check in the trunk where the spare tire is supposed to be at. If you see rust in there, it's a good sign the car's been in a flood. I once saw a car like that when I was looking for used cars and immediately walked away.
Just wanted to thank for for this info. I never bothered about it before. But, now I am looking at cars that are more than 200 miles away and I pretty much make sure that I ask the owner to send me a pic of the trunk and underparts to check for rust. Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pricing is going to vary a lot depending on where you live. I wouldn't worry about rust on stuff like brackets, and hose clamps; especially if it's seen a few winters.

The main rust spots to check for are rear quarter panels, door seams, gas tank filler area, inner trunk, underbody, etc... Rust on the front lip of the hood seems to be a problem for tsx's and 6th gen accords as well.

I had an 2008 tsx loaner and that car already had rust bubbling up on both rear door seams, and in the gas tank filler area... Unacceptable for a 4 year old car even though it has been driven in the winter.
You are right but I am worried that if I sell the car in a year the price is going to drop because of it. It also had some rust on the hood as shown in the picture. However, the dealer was pretty much firm on the price and pretty much acted as if he was doing me a favor by selling the car. If he would have come down, it would have been a different issue. But I am glad I walked off cuz I am getting much better deals now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts