Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another job I haven't attempted before so did some research and then into it.

I hate the look of the rusty disk inner hub and lip every time it gets water on it. It looks like shit on an otherwise clean car so down the shop and pick up some silver caliper paint and some wire brushes.

A few minutes on each disk and caliper with the wire brushes (experiment to see which one works better, where) saw them come up a treat.

Then clean the whole lot off with brake cleaner and then wax and grease remover (paint prep).

Put a plastic bag over the caliper and another one around the suspension arms behind to protect from overspray.
The disk has to be turned during the painting (to clear the caliper)so use a large screwdriver or lever between the wheel studs to turn the disk.
Avoid using your hands as they will leave grease or oil and the paint won't stick.

I was dubious about some saying that paint on the disk face would just burn or abrade off in use, so I masked the center section (pad area) with tape. The next wheel I found this impossible because the pads just tore the tape off as it rotated through the caliper.
(one drive after the job was done though, and the pads had worn the paint off in a neat strip with no hint of any effect on braking. I did try to direct the paint away from this surface, however, so it was thin there. I also avoided the hub face where it meets the wheel , because I like a metal to metal bond there.

Cardboard is your friend for masking. Cut a shoe box or similar into pieces that roughly (a bit larger) cover the pad backs and any holes that the spray can get through to the disks. Particularly on the back of the caliper. These just slide in behind the caliper.
Masking tape over bolts and the bleed nipple. Then shopping bag over the disk and pull right in between caliper and disk.

Mist the paint on in light coats. Go from one wheel to the next between coats, that way it gives each coat a minute or so to set up for the next coat. There are a lot of angles an crevices so you have to make sure you alter the spray angles to get in there.
When it's well coated have a beer and a cigarette (optional but highly advised) and then the paint will be just right for carefully stripping off the masking.

Any overspray can be cleaned off in the first half hour with a little wax and grease remover or thinner on the corner of a rag. Go gently though, especially if you're cleaning off on the disk surface you sprayed an hour before. But it comes off easily if you're gentle.

It took two hours to do the fronts from parking to driving.

Next I'll design some Euro caliper decals and get them made up before the new wheels go on.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Why didn't you just take the caliper off and paint it? It's just 4 bolts :). Maybe 5 to slack the brake lines.
And the rotor is two screws. I imagine the time you spent masking and covering you could have just take it all apart :p
Also, I don't know if painting the rotor surface was a good idea (as you mentioned). Hopefully your pad misses most of it. I imagine tho, depending on your pad type, that the brake dust will splash off onto your shiny new rotors and make little rust spots.
Looks nice for now tho!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't be arsed taking them off and still would have had to mask bits without disassemling them. It really wasn't hard, but I take your point.
The paint contamination of the pads was a worry but they seem fine and the pads cut a really nice line through the paint. I don't know if there are ferrous pads in it at present so I guess i'll find out if it gets leprousy!

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Lol! I hope you don't! But you might just get some material off the rotor too.
You can always use the brush on stuff too for touch ups later without overspray.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
nice job... may do mine in black or silver... previous owner painted the car's calipers black... flaking off everywhere...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah cheap as chips and well worth the effort.
Be a devil and get rid of the rust strips on the disks now!
Just repainted and mounted my new wheels with fresh tyres.
The caliper and hub paint is holding up perfectly after a few months in all weathers. So far so good!

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Yours look great. well done

not too worried about the rust strips. Happy they are cleaned up with the black rotor hats and black calipers too.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Yep. I used Duplicolor caliper paint on both. I reckon any heat resistant paint with a rust inhibitor built in would be fine.
main thing, as with any paint job, is prep./how you apply it/letting is cure a bit before use.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
main thing, as with any paint job, is prep./how you apply it/letting is cure a bit before use.
Yep. Very important to clean everything really well. The wire brushes are perfect for stripping rust and brake dust. Then brake cleaner, then grease and wax remover.

Then keep your fingers off it before painting!...
First coat VERY light. You should still be able to see the metal through it.
It sets up the bond for the following coats, that's all.

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Looks great! I bought my TSX with the calipers painted red and its fading, making the wheels look bad. Going to do this soon.
Make sure you sand/clean that existing paint good or even wire-wheel it off... adhesion with that older paint may turn out to be troublesome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.