Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painted my calipers and hubs recently (waiting for my suspension to arrive so I can put my wheels on- BORED!) and wanted them to look a little more finished.
I didn't want Honda brand nor go the way of sticking fake Brembo brands or the like so I got onto photoshop and designed some Euro ones. Took the files to the local sticker man and half an hour and $20 later came out with these.
Some new body stickers too.
Pretty happy with them but now I'm thinking blue calipers...
Hmmm...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duplicolor caliper paint. But any heat resistant paint, like engine enamel would do.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
Good on ya there mate, looks good!! Um, is the colour/ink they used (for the stickers) ok for higher temperatures?? I was thinking of doing something like that, but using the sticker as a template, and spraying/painting over it with a high heat (oven) enamel type paint. I like they way you were able to cover most of the area... what hue of blue were you thinking about going for/with?? did you use the precleaner/primer or sandblast them before painting?? The coat looks quite even to me. Good work!!
Acc-Man

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good on ya there mate, looks good!! Um, is the colour/ink they used (for the stickers) ok for higher temperatures?? I was thinking of doing something like that, but using the sticker as a template, and spraying/painting over it with a high heat (oven) enamel type paint. I like they way you were able to cover most of the area... what hue of blue were you thinking about going for/with?? did you use the precleaner/primer or sandblast them before painting?? The coat looks quite even to me. Good work!!
Acc-Man
Thank you!

I wire brushed the caliper (and hubs) with a drill first which cleans the surface up nicely, then used a grease and wax remover pre paint. The Duplicolor caliper paint doesn't need primer or etching before the final coat.

Any heat resist engine paint should do just as well.

The masking is a bit intricate while the caliper is on the car, because the holes in the side go through to the disk and I didn't want to spray in there or on the pad backs.
I just cut cardboard roughly to shape and slotted it into these areas, and of course taped up the bleed nipples and bolt heads.

You can of course take the caliper off, but in the end the time taken would be about the same, but that would mean you could paint the backs if you wanted.

Being rough cast, the paint sticks well to the calipers. I did consider smoothing the face of the caliper where the stickers go with a dremel and sanding, which would give a more even surface for the stickers. But in the end, I couldn't be buggered.
I did the fronts together, then the backs. Going from side to side between coats gives perfect time for the coats to set up.
It took about an hour for each end.

The sticker shop should have a wide range of 7 year vinyls for you to choose a colour. Seven year vinyl is designed to withstand being on vehicle exteriors in harsh conditions of sun, cold and wet, so it should hold up fine on calipers.

Frankly, it's so cheap (they usually charge by the area you get printed ie: you can get a lot of caliper stickers on an A4 size, which costs about $20- so fill it up!) that you need to get 12 stickers or more done so if one does peel then just replace it.

Mine have been on two months in all weathers and show no signs of degradation.

Using the stickers as a template is a good idea, except for one thing.
I thought I'd try clear coating over them and the first one started to shrivel when I hit it with the paint. I don't know if it was the specific paint I used, or if thinners in any paint will do this. If so, then the template idea won't work unless you get a specific template vinyl which resists thinners.

I don't have a specific idea on the blue I was thinking about, I've seen a few cars on here with a mid ice blue which I think is nice, but it's totally down to your car colour.

ps. They don't use ink to do the stickers. They laser cut them out of the sheet vinyl colour. It comes sandwiched between a backing sheet and a transparent front sheet. You cut close to the edge of the print, then slightly dampen the front sheet so it conforms to the surface better.
Then you peel the backing sheet off carefully, which leaves the individual letters adhered to the front sheet. This maintains the spacing of the letters and exposes the sticky backs of the letters.

You then line it up and press the sticker on and rub it firmly from the middle outwards to get any air bubbles out.
Then you carefully peel the front sheet off and if you've done it carefully enough, the job's done.

Calipers, disks and hubs painted. stop that rust!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts