Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Acura TSX is a very attractive car, and therefore would be
definite target for car theives. Does anyone have a car alarm installed?
I know we have a cut-ff switch with the vehicle, but how reliable is that?
I'm just fishing for possible alternatives.

G

·
Car Alarm/Funny story

The car comes with a deadswitch and an audible alarm that sounds upon unauthorized entry. Funny story, I left the interior lights on at the airport while I was out of town on business for a few days(dumb)...needless to say I needed a jump start when I returned. Upon getting the car jump started the audible alarm was going off and would not shut off with the remote. (The triple A guy looked at me funny when I could not turn it off...shrugged, got into his van and quickly drove away. I had to drive out of the airport with the alarm blaring...did anyone question me..course not! Turns out the the alarm is designed such that if someone disconnected the battery, stole the car and reconnected it the alarm goes off. The only way to reset it is to put the key in the drivers door and turn it (it stops temporarily after about 5 minutes but will go off again when you exit the car . Problem with that is if you just jump started the car, in order to put the key in the door you would need to turn off the car and use the key, not what you want to do with a dead batter...catch 22...guess for a jump start you need earplugs. You would think that having the actual encoded key in the ignition would handle both the dead start and the audible alarm...nope....

Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an alarm on mine in addition to the factory. It is a Prestige with remote start. I can't recall the model number at the moment. When I set the aftermarket alarm the factory alarm sets as well and I have added airhorns so that it is really load when the alarm is tripped. So when there is a breach in the system my factory horn, airhorns and atermarket siren all go off. In addition I use a brake pedal lock that you can purchase at any auto store. Call me paranoid but this is my wife's car and we got the TSX cause here Honda Civic coupe got stolen back in September.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FitzgeraldKJ said:
The car comes with a deadswitch and an audible alarm that sounds upon unauthorized entry. Funny story, I left the interior lights on at the airport while I was out of town on business for a few days(dumb)...needless to say I needed a jump start when I returned. Upon getting the car jump started the audible alarm was going off and would not shut off with the remote. (The triple A guy looked at me funny when I could not turn it off...shrugged, got into his van and quickly drove away. I had to drive out of the airport with the alarm blaring...did anyone question me..course not! Turns out the the alarm is designed such that if someone disconnected the battery, stole the car and reconnected it the alarm goes off. The only way to reset it is to put the key in the drivers door and turn it (it stops temporarily after about 5 minutes but will go off again when you exit the car . Problem with that is if you just jump started the car, in order to put the key in the door you would need to turn off the car and use the key, not what you want to do with a dead batter...catch 22...guess for a jump start you need earplugs. You would think that having the actual encoded key in the ignition would handle both the dead start and the audible alarm...nope....

Kevin
So, if your car is being stolen and they disconnect your battery and reconnect it, the imobilizer would normally kick in right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.