Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first time to try car detailing, I've no experience at all. Luckily nowadays forum has a lot of information, spent about 6 months to read and to understand how to do it properly. Finally decide to do it this week.

I'm not nearly done yet, found out it's not easy at all. First I used Dish Washing Liquid to wash the car once, a lot of clearcoat or wax kinda stuff sticking up after the wash. The surface got so rough (my finger can't slide on it) I guess the liquid is strong. Then I did the clay bar thing. The first time it took me 3 hrs almost none-stop, pretty crazy. I was amazed @ how the clay bar removed all the small particles and rust, there's alot on it so I did it slowly. I bought the Mothers Clay Bar that comes w/ the Lub, found out it's a quick detailer after.

After the first clay my right hand is totally sore, I rested for 2 days (needa work during the day), and re-clay it again after work this afternoon. This time it took me about 2 hrs doing it, there's still some rust here and there, but it's a quick one. The paint surface feels soooo smooth now, like sliding on the skin ya know what I mean.

I still need to wash my car before I polish the car. I need some suggestion here, there's quite a bit of swirl on it, and I still haven't bought a proper polish/scratch remover yet. Which brand is good??? The wax I bought is also Mothers California Gold, so I'm thinking of Mothers Seal & Polish, what ya think??? I will polish and wax the car tomorrow. Some pix below.

1. Before Wash

2. After first clay 1

3. After first clay 2

4. After second clay 1 - My Front ~ NEED A [email protected][email protected]!!

5. After second clay 2 - Cracked foglight lens, will replace soon.

6. After second clay 2 - HIDzzz

7. After second clay 2 - My assssssssss

8, After second clay 2 - What ya think?

·
Mr. Dan
1,730 Posts
Chuson, your car looks clean!! I know exactly what you mean by the smoothness after claying :) FYI, those are not really rust, but airborne contaminants that adheres to the surface, and yea, it is really noticeable on white cars.

For the polish, i would say MOST over the counter product (ie from Crappy Tire) don't really do a good job, especially if you do it by hand. The Mother Polish is actually a decent one, but you need the proper pads and polisher if you want to remove ALL the swirls. I recently started using a dual action polisher and have pretty good results, especially in removing swirls and micro marring. So don't expect too much if you do it by hand.

btw, i can't see some of the photos...

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey TSXDude, is your polisher Porter & Cable one??? I bought the applicator pad and some microfibre towels to remove polish and wax, good enough??? Can I borrow your polisher?????

Fix the photos, I don't know why the last 3 can go to a bigger size.

·
Mr. Dan
1,730 Posts
chuson said:
Hey TSXDude, is your polisher Porter & Cable one??? I bought the applicator pad and some microfibre towels to remove polish and wax, good enough??? Can I borrow your polisher?????

Fix the photos, I don't know why the last 3 can go to a bigger size.
Ya, i bought a PC, and it is not that complicated to use (of course i practiced on an older vehicle before mine), but still obtain great results.

Technically, you can remove the swirls by hand with a correct applicator pad and polish, but it will be VERY difficult. Ya, get a couple of MF towels (i have a bunch, haha).

If you want to borrow it, let me know, but i highly suggest you have some practice before using it on your new paint.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Detail and swirl removal is not as simple as it seems. First start off with a PC random orbiter, use a light cutting pad with some PB SSR II. From there use a medium cutting pad if swirls are not coming out well enough. Then buy some optimum sealant/polish and use the PC. After that use some wax (I think NXT is good, but people love the Meguairs pro stuff) to finish up the shine. For swirl removal you generally can't use a OTC product, you need abrasives.

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's OTC stands for???

I don't know what's wrong w/ PhotoBucket but all the sizes are 1280X960~ I just resize itself.

·
Driver Inside
110 Posts
OTC = Over The Counter

·
Driver Inside
110 Posts
Oh btw, your car looks nice. You did a great job!!

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What would you suggest???? I think OTC might not be the best but should be at least avg right???

·
Driver Inside
110 Posts
I use OTC products. Differents peeps have different taste. I think the OTC products work just fine. Some people are perfectionist.

·
Looks nice. Goes slow.
255 Posts
After I heard about Zaino I wouldnt want to waste my money on anything else. It cost a lot but it will do more than expected. I am currently getting a Porter cable random orbit buffer for 120.00 and the zaino stuff I want for
like 150.00 plus some good pads plus that mirofibre pad cover for whatever amount. but the point is that it will make your car look better than new and help protect it for a long time plus zaino last longer than regular wax and is easier to maintain and zaino will all last for a long time as long as you keep it in a cool dry place and use it correctly. go to their website at zainostore.com
here are some testimonials
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TESTIMONIALS

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PHOTOS

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Groits Garage is my new favorite, had been a Zaino user for a year and a half... this is the way to go... though for the average person, Mothers Reflections, Mcguires NXT, Turtle Wax ICE, are all amazing, and a whole lot cheeper, with a whole lot less work involved...

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did consider Zaino too, I search and I only see positive comment on it. The only draw back is it's hard to get in Canada, except ordering it online. I want to give other products a try before using the Zaino. It's my first time to do Car Detailing so no matter how good the product is, I'm still a noob. So I guess I should use this opportunities as a practice before wasting the expensive Zaino~!!!

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
chuson said:
I did consider Zaino too, I search and I only see positive comment on it. The only draw back is it's hard to get in Canada, except ordering it online. I want to give other products a try before using the Zaino. It's my first time to do Car Detailing so no matter how good the product is, I'm still a noob. So I guess I should use this opportunities as a practice before wasting the expensive Zaino~!!!
You can buy Zaino at Fairview mall, in a barber shop (yes, oddly), called the Barber's Chair. Sometimes they are low on stock and take a while to get more. It is located across from where the arcade is (or used to be?).

·
Registered
339 Posts
for the average user. I say get some Sonus soap. Clay the car. Then get Mother's cleaner wax. Hit it off with Meguair's NXT, let it cure for 24 hours. After that get a Quick Detail spray and wipe the wax off, it will turn out a lot better than usual.

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I have the Mothers Clay Bar + Quick Detailer and also the Mothers California Gold Wax, today I went to CT to buy the Mothers Scratch Remover and Mothers Polish & Zeal so now I have a set~ I removed some scratch, but some are so hard to remove/cover, I guess a polisher would help. But whatever, I will do the polish tomorrow and wax it. What a weekend.

BTW: CT has the Microfibre towel on sale, I bought 1 pack (has 5) MF towel at the CT for $7.99CAD + TAX last week, today I saw the same MF towel on sale for $3.99CAD + TAX. I bought a pack immediately and gonna return the pack last week.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
213 Posts
Love the spoiler

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Finally have done the whole Car Detai Process during the weekend. The end result is acceptable but I'm not too satisfy. I can't see a mirror finish, besides, there's still alot of swirl and scratches that can't be cover. I'm thinking this is due to: 1. I do not have the electrical polisher. 2. I'm not doing it right. The car is still clean, but not the way I'm expected.

I still haven't take any day pictures yet but 2 night shot will be provided. I'm using the new Panasonic FX-01 to take the night pictures, I'm still not familiar with all the setting yet, and no tripod so only 2 pictures can be shown for now.

Markham Downtown~!!! Yeh rite

Looks Pretty Cool huh???

The Only Good Picture That I Like

Interior~

1 - 20 of 33 Posts