Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fooling around with google today to search for TSX stuff and suddenly I find a link (couldn't get to it) about C&D comparison tests of TSX with Subaru Legacy GT. Maybe there is a comparison test, maybe I am just dreaming, but I will rush to the bookstore (after work) to find me a copy of C&D to make sure.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes -- it's the October issue. They tested the TSX, Volvo S40, Audi A4, and Subaru Legacy GT.

TSX came in #1.

I looked for the article on the net, couldn't find it.

To get it on here, probably someone will have to do a scan.

Scans are in post #18 (p. 2) -- big thank you to Bob Shiftright.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
It's scanned in over at "that other TSX site".

Based on the fact that they usually rank BMW on top in comparison tests, that they left the bargain-basement 325i out of this test, thereby avoiding a direct comparison, and that Honda products are usually on top of their respective class of tests ... do you think anyone has ever accused Car and Driver's editors of being venal?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I saw C&D at Barnes & Noble the other night & had to pick it up. The first comment they had about the TSX was that it reminded them of a puppy wagging it's tail.
I test drove the 5sp Legacy GT about 2 weeks ago just out of curiosity. When I first heard of the new Legacy about a year ago, I questioned myself whether I should have waited for that one to come out before buying the TSX. Well, all I can say is I'm SO GLAD I didn't wait. The Legacy is a really nice car, but it just isn't as sporty feeling as the TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
bob shiftright said:
.....do you think anyone has ever accused Car and Driver's editors of being venal?
Another word I never really understood. :D

All's I know is it's a kind of sin..... :nod:

Larchmont, who remembers when Cosell asked Muhammed Ali if he wasn't being rather "niggardly." :nervous:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Actually the only beef I have with the Liberty/Legacy GT is the lack of a manual transmission, otherwise it'll do as well if not better than the previous Liberty/Legacy B4 TT. Yes, Australia gets a decent selection of STi models off the showroom floor.

Both the TSX/Euro and Liberty/Legacy is highly identical in design/styling cues. But one has outright greater power. Handling wise, some prefer AWD, some prefer FF. It's a game of choice at the end when one is a turbo aspirated and the other a naturally aspirated.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yeah, he can't read! :D

(j/k) ;)

Larchmont, who can't read either, as y'all have seen a few times lately.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
GRAYTSX said:
I test drove a 5 speed Legacy GT.
Yes, I saw that above. For us, Subaru Australia didn't bring the MTs to us ... Funny enough all market variables are somewhat never consistent.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ferg said:
I believe he did!

"I wonder if the lack of very close comps is the reason that it hasn't been included in any shoot-outs?? At least until recently....
My prediction is that we will see, in short time, another shootout that features the TSX along with the new S40, and the new Subie Legacy (among others)."

(On the Consumer Reports thread.)

P.S. Still don't get the S40 being in there. Heck, Volvo has another car that's way more of a comp!!
I guess the whole world except me thinks price is the main factor.
In which case they should also include.....I dunno, what else costs about 28K??

Got it. In that case they should also include " An Evening with Paris Hilton."

(I know, I'm probably low there.)

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Thanks for the quote larchie!

About the S40....I think the new S40 is a pretty good comp for the TSX. They are both 4 door sedans, priced just under $30K, can seat 4 in reasonable comfort, and have sporting intentions in a more upscale package.

Other 4 door cars in the $28K range would include: Nissan Altima, VW Passat (with 4-cyl), VW Jetta, Accord, Camry, et al. I think out of all the possible cars the TSX could be compared to in this price range, the S40 is, you have to admit, a pretty natural comp.

Ferg

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ferg said:
I posted my wordy response over there. :D
Nice job, Ferg.

And Ferg's response over there brings us back to the subject of "comps."

He's thinking of getting a Scion tC, which IMO is arguably a rough comp for the TSX. Admittedly a VERY rough comp, because it's a coupe and it's truly a comp for the RSX. But I think there's going to be some cross-shopping of the tC and the TSX.

As usual, I say that the very significant price difference doesn't keep them from being comps even though I know that few others would agree. When I go car shopping, I look for cars of a certain type, not of a certain price, and I can't understand that more people can't relate to it. If I have a certain amount of money to spend on a car, I'm not going to look just at cars that are in that price range -- I'm more than happy also to look at cheaper cars -- and in the current instance, if I hadn't done so I would have wound up with a car that's far less suitable for me than a TSX. In fact, for a while I did, but that was before the TSX existed.

IMO if someone really likes the tC and it meets his needs, why tf should he only look at more expensive cars? :donno:

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
larchmont said:
Nice job, Ferg.

He's thinking of getting a Scion tC....
Well, I wouldn't go that far just yet. :D I've seen them on the road -- quite a few actually -- and I like their looks, the price, and Toyota's rep for quality. But I haven't driven one, or even looked inside one. It's just an option that I would explore if other things pan out. For now, I am wonderfully content in the 325.

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
larchmont said:
Nice job, Ferg.

He's thinking of getting a Scion tC, which IMO is arguably a rough comp for the TSX. Admittedly a VERY rough comp, because it's a coupe and it's truly a comp for the RSX. But I think there's going to be some cross-shopping of the tC and the TSX.

As usual, I say that the very significant price difference doesn't keep them from being comps even though I know that few others would agree. When I go car shopping, I look for cars of a certain type, not of a certain price, and I can't understand that more people can't relate to it. If I have a certain amount of money to spend on a car, I'm not going to look just at cars that are in that price range -- I'm more than happy also to look at cheaper cars -- and in the current instance, if I hadn't done so I would have wound up with a car that's far less suitable for me than a TSX. In fact, for a while I did, but that was before the TSX existed.

IMO if someone really likes the tC and it meets his needs, why tf should he only look at more expensive cars? :donno:

....And on the subject of "comps", I think everyone thinks about the subject differently. For instance, when I was shopping for a car 6+ months ago, I considered many, many vehicles, ranging from the low-end compact cars like the Civic and Mazda3, right up to cars in the $35K range (used BMW 330's, new G35's, new Maxima's, etc). Just because I considered a Mazda3 and the 330i does not, to me, mean that they are "comps" in the traditional sense of the word. I tested the Mazda to see if by chance it would meet my minimum requirements, but alas, it did not. So I moved on to a higher price bracket, yet one in which I could still afford a car.

Most people don't quite shop this way. A good number of people set a price limit, and consider other cars in that price range.

When you were shopping for a $30 thousand-dollar-plus car, it was not inconceivable that you could step back 5 grand and yet still find a suitable car, which you did when you found the TSX. However, if you were looking at spending $15 grand on a car, it becomes increasingly unlikely that you can scale back another 5 grand and still find a car that meets your requirements. And this is probably the case for most shoppers. They want to get the most vehicle for their money, so price is the deciding factor in whether or not vehicles are comps. Heck, some folks might consider a Honda Accord and a Nissan Xterra comps because they are similarly priced, even though they are really very different vehicles.

KnowwhatImasayin?

Ferg

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Not that I want to complain about a review like that, but.....

How many of us disagree with "seat cushion a bit shy of padding"? I definitely do.
(BTW unless I missed something, oddly this isn't mentioned in the body of the article, just in the box/heading, under "Lows.")

Also, what about their saying that the car "weaves" at higher speeds? (That's in the next-to-last paragraph.)
All I can say is I've never felt that was the case. Maybe compared to significantly heavier cars, but not for this kind of car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts