Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a similar experience?

I fill my car with Octane 91 - 94, and sometimes..... it excretes a very rude odor (egg fart stink) into the cabin of my otherwise sweet ride TSX. It can be very embarassing driving with my date or friends.

Can someone please recommend a sure solution to this rank?

any fresh air is much appreciated.
:eek:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
How many miles on the car? And did this start right away after purchase or? Something must be burning..

have you tried using a different gas station?

Check for any (exhaust) leaks? Is this a 6 speed?

·
Owner May2003
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've put about 9000km on. Yes, it started soon after purchase. The dealer said it's the gas companies not refining their gas enough, leaving impurities to burn, making a stink. So, I always buy premium gas. (Octane 91-94).

I have tried different gas stations, but still a bad smell.

No (exhaust) leaks were reported at my last service checkup/oil change.
It's an auto.

Too cold and rainy to open the windows now.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
hmm I dont think it is the gas station.. Take it back to the dealership and make him find the problem. Something is wrong with the car.. or Take it to another mechanic and ask what he thinks I am sure he will find the problem..

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Sounds like sulfur smell, could be a problem with the catalytic converter. This was a problem some years ago when you nailed it too often and the catalytic converter wasn't warmed up.

Either way, you should have the dealer look at it. Hopefully, they won't tell you that "they all do that." ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
You know, I had almost forgotten about this. It did happen with my car a few times, early on, and I didn't even think anything of it -- I figured just that I was driving through a smelly area -- until I heard about a fair number of other people having the problem. Some people have said they had the problem in prior cars too, other people said they never did. I don't think anybody ever got down to it. The main theories were the gasoline and/or the catalytic converter, but I don't think anybody figured it out for sure. BTW about the gasoline and using premium, I've never used anything but 93 and I still had the problem.

I hadn't heard the problem mentioned much (or maybe at all) for some time, like a few months, and I haven't had the problem for that long either. So, I would guess that whatever it is, it's related to break in and/or hot weather. Except, dlai is way beyond break-in and he's in B.C. -- so :dunno:

BTW could we get a :dunno: smilie?
You could say I need it big-time, since I don't know quite a few things. :D
OTOH it's kind of fun writing :dunno: all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts